Does your rolex get noticed?
May 11, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #92 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolute BS...At work, I don't have a clock in my sleeping quarters, nor do I have a clock in my office, or work-floor. At home, I don't keep one in my room and the only one I have is downstairs. I spend a lot of time outside too, and I refuse to pull out my cellphone just to look at the time when I can twist my wrist just as quickly, and as it stands, they are banned everywhere at work except at the office desk or in the sleeping quarters.

Please don't pass off the purchase of any watch as shallow, just because you don't have need for one anymore. There are many people who still prefer watches to other electronics w/added clock functionality, and there are others still who enjoy collecting them. I personally own about 6-7 good watches, and I prefer to use them a lot more than any of the clocks in any of the other places you mentionedl.

You personally own 6-7 watches while one would suffice. You'd rather buy a watch then flash your cellphone. Mind you you are buying a watch for one function thats already on your cellphone. Well I'd like own several cars too. I'd prefer to own a luxury car but a cheap one would just as well bring me from A to B. Thats in my opinion shallow.

I'm pretty sure you didnt bought a watch for functionality but probally just because you enjoy it for no specific. Just like people who enjoy wearing jewelry.

May 11, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #93 of 140
You laugh at my mechanical watch, but who's gonna be laughing when society breaks down, and there are no power sources? Or after that EMP.

Seriously tho, I buy mechanical watches because I find them amazing. That something with no electrical power can keep accurate time is cool. Plus, looking at a watch is a lot more convenient than pulling out my phone to check the time. That you don't like it doesn't impact me at all. People do all kinds of things for all kinds of reasons.

May 11, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #94 of 140
Quote:

You laugh at my mechanical watch, but who's gonna be laughing when society breaks down, and there are no power sources? Or after that EMP.

Except that your watch will grind to an inaccurate mess without regular maintenance.

No one (that isn't dumb) buys a mechanical watch primarily as a timepiece - the best mechanical watch in the world won't keep time as well as a $5 quartz movement. It can be a status symbol, it can be a hobby, it can be whatever, but it's not primarily functional.

May 11, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #95 of 140
rolleyes.gif

Amusingly, the watch that has gotten the most comments in the last 15 years or so was my $60 geneve with a 7 link bracelet. Even watch fanatics thought it was a $3500 breitling.

May 11, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #96 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by montell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You personally own 6-7 watches while one would suffice. You'd rather buy a watch then flash your cellphone. Mind you you are buying a watch for one function thats already on your cellphone. Well I'd like own several cars too. I'd prefer to own a luxury car but a cheap one would just as well bring me from A to B. Thats in my opinion shallow.

I'm pretty sure you didnt bought a watch for functionality but probally just because you enjoy it for no specific. Just like people who enjoy wearing jewelry.

I don't deny that 1 watch would suit most of my purposes just fine, but I have as many as I do because A). I like to collect them, and B). it seems most of the time if I get a gift from extended family, it ends up being a watch.

I would rather check my watch than check my cellphone for the time, but that comes as part of the necessity of my work. I work on the Alaskan North Slope, and in many cases, I am not allowed to have a phone, MP3 player with me or they won't work where I am. In many of these cases there is a clock around but rather than walk for 3-4 minutes to find the damn thing to see the time, the watch comes in more useful. You also say I probably didn't buy the watch for functionality, but how would you know, honestly. In my case, my work wear is a Pulsar Chronograph which I use because it takes a brutal beating with a hardlex crystal and rubber strap which will take a lot of abuse. I also do use the chronograph function because while working in the oilfield there are many times that you have to time processes etc and its easier if you have the chronograph. I also have a Kenneth Cole Reaction that I wear almost exclusively when I am home, because, yes it looks nice, but it also tells time well. I also bought it because it is an automatic so I don't have to worry about replacing a battery.

Please don't assume that I bought all my watches just because they look pretty. Yes, I do rotate through them every so often and yes, for the most part most of them are form over function, but it's a preference to use a watch over a cellphone or MP3 player for telling time. Just like it's my preference to use a Koss PortaPro or Klipsch X10 for listening to my music when a pair of iBuds would suit my purposes just as well.

I guess to avoid turning this into an argument that might stretch over several more posts, I'll make my argument clear: While it may be superfluous to own more than one watch, it is only really shallow if the entire purpose of the watch is to get other people to notice the watch, and, by association, you. If you are wearing a watch for functionality and/or because it appeals to you yourself, it is not shallow.

May 12, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #97 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Except that your watch will grind to an inaccurate mess without regular maintenance.

No one (that isn't dumb) buys a mechanical watch primarily as a timepiece - the best mechanical watch in the world won't keep time as well as a $5 quartz movement. It can be a status symbol, it can be a hobby, it can be whatever, but it's not primarily functional.

Why not? You only need to know the time to a minute or two of the true time. How much does the time vary from clock to clock around town? Get a watch that gains around 2 seconds a day, set it 2 minutes slow and then your watch is accurate to 2 minutes for the next four months. That's more than pretty much anybody needs and is more than do able in any decent mechanical watch.

May 12, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #99 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not? You only need to know the time to a minute or two of the true time. How much does the time vary from clock to clock around town? Get a watch that gains around 2 seconds a day, set it 2 minutes slow and then your watch is accurate to 2 minutes for the next four months. That's more than pretty much anybody needs and is more than do able in any decent mechanical watch.

The point is that if you were buying it primarily as a timepiece you can get much greater accuracy for a fraction of a percentage of the price, so you can't claim to be buying it primarily for its timekeeping functionality.

May 12, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #100 of 140
Quote:

Let us know how many 5 dollar quartz watches you go through in 25 years.

Let us know how it goes when you go snorkeling and skin diving as well.

May 12, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #102 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let us know how many 5 dollar quartz watches you go through in 25 years.

Let us know how it goes when you go snorkeling and skin diving as well.

So long as it's less than 600 I'm still way ahead of buying a Rolex.

May 13, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #103 of 140
Quote:

The point is that if you were buying it primarily as a timepiece you can get much greater accuracy for a fraction of a percentage of the price, so you can't claim to be buying it primarily for its timekeeping functionality.

Sure you can, you don't need the accuracy. I can spend less than $20 and get a mechanical.

May 13, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #104 of 140
it's interesting how people go for what they don't already have.

to OP, older women will find you "cute" at most, even when you are in a burberry suit and wearing a patek philippe watch. let nature course. Also, I find that being consistent and not faking is the best for everything. For lots of reasons.

Anyway, to get attention, another option to being a poser is being eccentric. Wearing a steampunk watch with threads to match would be cool:

Steam%20Punk%20Watch.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back