Does your rolex get noticed?
May 2, 2009 at 11:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 140

waffles

New Head-Fier
I am going to buy a nice watch soon. I have a pretty decent job right now, but I am going to quit and go to college soon. I want to buy a watch right now that will last me pretty much forever. I didn't want to spend more than a few thousand, but fell in love with the milgauss. It is still in the price range that I can afford.

I am pretty shallow, and want a watch that will get noticed.

May 2, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #2 of 140
mickey_metal_date.jpg

Awesomeness. tbh though I would put watch on a lower list of things, yeah buy a nice one but a few K? Do you have wardrobe to match? Would look stupid if you're a trakky wearing chav, with a £5000 watch.

May 2, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #3 of 140
Nice clothes and furniture were the first things I bought. Over the next year I will be finishing my home theater with some B&W 802d's. I am pretty set on everything I need. The problem is that right now all I wear is swatches. Now, I love swatches, and they get noticed a lot by girls 18-19 years old. I am 22, so I am getting to the point where I want my clothes to be noticed by girls older than 19.

May 2, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #6 of 140
waffles, depending on where you live and who you hang out will determine if a watch is noticed or not. Some Rolex watches like a yellow gold President will get lots of attention, however the same watch in white gold will get passed as an stainless watch by most.

I would suggest you do the math of putting the money into a good savings account for 35 years versus buying the watch. You will see how much money you will end up with. If in the end you decide to buy an expensive watch go to a jewelery store that sells "estate jewelery".

For example in Florida we have Mayors. Well in the estate jewelery counter you will find a Rolex datejust for about $3,200 while in the new section the same watch will set you back almost $6,000. Since Mayors is a reputable store they send the used (estate) Rolex back to get it cleaned/oiled and re-certified by the factory. I even has the same one year warranty as a new Rolex and they look identical.

I wish I had known this when I bought mine, would have saved thousands.

May 2, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 140
The average person is indifferent to a really nice, expensive watch. As in every expensive hobby, you will find only a chosen few that will really appreciate, or even know, what you have.
I wore my Panerai to training class one week (usually no one ever sees me, I'm a Field Engineer), and I was getting comments like, "Why do you need such a big watch, are they for old people?
icon10.gif
), If they only knew, but then again, they still wouldn't care.

Unless you hang out in the associated circles, a nice watch will go unnoticed. Of course, every time I meet someone, or see someone perform on TV, I check out their watch (John Mayer wears my Submariner), but that is because I am interested. The average Joe wouldn't have a clue.

If you are shallow and need acceptance, as we all do to varying degrees, Then you probably won't gain what you seek with a nice watch, unless you always hang out with gentlemen of stature
tongue.gif
or wannabe stature, like me.
normal_smile .gif

May 2, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #8 of 140
If you want it to be noticed by girls, over 21.. get a Breitling with tons of complications.
If you want it to be noticed by ppl who actually know watches, get a vintage Rolex or Omega.

May 2, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #11 of 140
Are you sure you want a watch that will be noticed? I don't know where you live, but in Los Angeles, that is not always a wise move. Strapping a several thousand dollar status symbol to your wrist will get you noticed, but not necessarily in a good way. There's always a good chance you'll end up on the business end of a firearm with a tough decision to make. Is that what you want?

The other consideration is whether and how people will notice. There are lots and lots of fake Rolexes out there. What if people assume that you're wearing a fake one? That happens a lot. Also, some of the watch cognoscenti don't always think highly of Rolex. I think the brand is OK, but tends to be overpriced.

More importantly, I don't always find them impressive because everyone knows about Rolex and if you asked the average person what the "best" watch was, they'd tell you Rolex. If you ask the average person what the "best" headphones are, they'd tell you Bose.
biggrin.gif

Rolex is better than Bose, but it occupies the same status symbol position in the public. So the question is, who exactly do you want to impress with a watch? Do you want to show off to girls? Women, by the way, don't much care about mens' toys. The women who do care about an obvious sign of wealth tend not to be ones you'd want to pick up.

If you want to impress people who are into watches, you should look for a high quality, but less known, brand of watch. Rolex is too obvious and too well known. If you want to impress someone who knows watches, try a Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet or Vacheron Constantin. Those won't be recognized by 99% of the people out there, but those who do recognize it will understand. Same with many other high quality watches.

Personally, I wear a Sinn 244Ti. 99.999% of the time, it goes completely unnoticed, even when I occasionally visit a tougher part of town. The only people who do recognize it are a handful of watch geeks at the office. Women don't care about it one bit. I love the 244Ti for what it is as well as the fact that it's out of production and obscure. This is how I like it.

May 2, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #12 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More importantly, I don't always find them impressive because everyone knows about Rolex and if you asked the average person what the "best" watch was, they'd tell you Rolex. If you ask the average person what the "best" headphones are, they'd tell you Bose.

Excellent point.

The more I think of it, if you have a couple thousand to use towards making yourself more appealing looking towards the ladies - why not buy a $100 Fossil watch and put the rest towards teeth whitening, a gym membership, clear skin care, maybe some nice cologne, a couple fresh wardrobes, or hook your car up nicely?

Oh...

Quote:

Originally Posted by waffles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am getting to the point where I want my clothes to be noticed by girls older than 19.

Having 19 year old chics notice you hardly sounds like a problem. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
You can't put a price on that.
wink.gif

May 2, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #13 of 140
Well the Milgauss is an old line that has been brought back by Rolex, so other than Rolex fans or WIS types, most people will notice only that you have a shiny watch that looks expensive, and up close, they will notice the big Rolex logo and go oooooh.

Since you're going to college I would just save most of the money, and buy a nice watch for less than $1000. Stainless steel is a hardy material, so regardless of the brand you choose, it will last for many, many years to come.

May 2, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #14 of 140
Spend your money on your education, become an expert at something, be able to have an intelligent conversation and show enthusiasm for learning new things. In the end, people (including women) will be much more impressed by that. Nobody cares about what watch you wear, your furniture, your stereo system or your car. Really.

May 2, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #15 of 140
I often get comments on my IWC Portugieser, and it would cost you less than a Milgauss (unless you get one of the more expensive models).

That said, any girl who is attracted to you because of bling is most likely not worth going out with.

Before you spend several thousand dollars on a watch, do you have a six-month emergency fund for expenses? Remember also that mechanical watches need regular maintenance and overhauls, which cost money (last time I had my IWC overhauled cost me just under $1000).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back