Does your gf/bf/hubby/wife support your audio hobby too much?!?
Oct 6, 2008 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 116

Rednamalas1

Headphoneus Supremus
It may sound weird, but I have a girlfriend who may be over-supporting my headphone hobby.
I feel that my AD2000s + Gilmore lite combo does a very good job for my home use, and I was going to sell off my other rig - K701 and ph-12 - since I don't really listen to classical music anymore.
But my gf keeps encourging me to either keep it - or upgrade to a better rig - such as stax or W5000, since she listens to mostly classical.

She also claims that I spent tons of money on my bike and few lens for my leica, while that money could be spent in getting top-end stax rig.
I just find it funny that while I'm trying to hold back on further purchases on audio, my gf is craving more of that good stuff. interesting role reversal here.

Did I make a mistake of getting her into this head-fi world? :S

Oct 6, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #2 of 116
I live alone, in a van down by the river. Count your blessings.

Oct 6, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #3 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I live alone, in a van down by the river. Count your blessings.

frown.gif

want to hold hands?

Oct 6, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #5 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It may sound weird, but I have a girlfriend who may be over-supporting my headphone hobby.

I think you need to invest in an engagement ring.

Oct 6, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #6 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by scott_d_m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need a GF to support and fund my audio habit.
smile_phones.gif

she supports it - that's for sure. She doesn't fund it yet
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you need to invest in an engagement ring.

I would, but she's a bit younger than I am, and not thinking about a ring just yet
wink.gif

Oct 6, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #7 of 116
Last girlfriend I had set my hair on fire while I was asleep. Then two weeks later she has the nerve to break up with me!

Oct 6, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #8 of 116
About 15 years ago my girlfriend gave me an awesome xmas gift--1/2 of a Philips LHH1000 Cd player. The unit consists of a transport and a DAC plus a remote control the size of a large paperpack book. The entire cd player weights 60 pounds sans remote (another pound). She knew that I was smitten with this cd player (there were only 500 made) and offered to buy half of it for me (this was a $4,000 cd player, but as it was refurbed the price was considerably less, but still dear). A few years later she gave me a Decware SET amp. I still have the cd player, the Decware SET and my girlfriend. Oh btw, we got married about 13 and 1/2 years ago.

You've found a keeper. Get a Stax and keep the girl.

Cheers!

Oct 6, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #10 of 116
Quote:

Last girlfriend I had set my hair on fire while I was asleep. Then two weeks later she has the nerve to break up with me!

frown.gif
one of those "I only set it on fire because I love you thing?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by yashicaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About 15 years ago my girlfriend gave me an awesome xmas gift--1/2 of a Philips LHH1000 Cd player. The unit consists of a transport and a DAC plus a remote control the size of a large paperpack book. The entire cd player weights 60 pounds sans remote (another pound). She knew that I was smitten with this cd player (there were only 500 made) and offered to buy half of it for me (this was a $4,000 cd player, but as it was refurbed the price was considerably less, but still dear). A few years later she gave me a Decware SET amp. I still have the cd player, the Decware SET and my girlfriend. Oh btw, we got married about 13 and 1/2 years ago.

You've found a keeper. Get a Stax and keep the girl.

Cheers!

she only paid for her own audio stuff so far!! (ESW9 + TF10s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An engagement rig might be more suitable in this case .....

lol!

Oct 6, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #11 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel that my AD2000s + Gilmore lite combo does a very good job for my home use, and I was going to sell off my other rig - K701 and ph-12 - since I don't really listen to classical music anymore.
But my gf keeps encourging me to either keep it - or upgrade to a better rig - such as stax or W5000, since she listens to mostly classical.

She also claims that I spent tons of money on my bike and few lens for my leica, while that money could be spent in getting top-end stax rig.
I just find it funny that while I'm trying to hold back on further purchases on audio, my gf is craving more of that good stuff. interesting role reversal here.

Did I make a mistake of getting her into this head-fi world? :S

The GF is supportive, but what does your boyfriend think about your hobby?
biggrin.gif

But seriously, you should be happy. My evil ex used to diss my music choices (Yea, Zeppelin sure is "hillbilly music"
rolleyes.gif
), and other things as well.

Oct 6, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #12 of 116
Quote:

one of those "I only set it on fire because I love you thing?"

Nah, I'm pretty sure she was just crazy

Oct 6, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #13 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The GF is supportive, but what does your boyfriend think about your hobby?
biggrin.gif

But seriously, you should be happy. My evil ex used to diss my music choices (Yea, Zeppelin sure is "hillbilly music"
rolleyes.gif
), and other things as well.

fortunately, she has good taste in music, and actually supportive of my music as well. She has an audiophile dad- so she's encouraging me to start a vinyl rig as well

Quote:

Nah, I'm pretty sure she was just crazy

frown.gif

at least your shag-wagon gets you tons of girls though.

Oct 6, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #14 of 116
Quote:

at least your shag-wagon gets you tons of girls though.

It's an astro van

Users who are viewing this thread

Back