does the iphone have audiophile sound quality?
Feb 13, 2010 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

expxe

100+ Head-Fier
I am going to purchase the best audio player in the world the iphone, i want to know how does it compare to other elite mp3 players like the ipod nano, sansa clip+ etc. how does it stand on it's own? i don't wanna cmoy the iphone cause that would be just ugly.

Feb 13, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #2 of 68
3GS
Much better than an 5.5g iPod including mini3 amp!
Better than a SAnsa clip
better than a cowon x5
better than the iPod shuffle or nano.
Better than my old 2g iPhone
Better than any player I've ever had, amped or unamped.

The sound is very clean and neutral. The abillity of drum bass and string treble is outstanding.

I'm raving about it at the moment, but if you like the iPod sound, then you'll love it....

Feb 13, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #3 of 68
It is good enough. I enjoy using an iPhone as source and don't see a need to buy anything else for portable listening.

Just don't expect too much from the internal amp. It's designed to drive highly efficient IEMs, not full-sized headphones.

Feb 14, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 68
I have a 3g, I really like it. Though I wrestle a love/hate relationship with Apple products. It doesn't sound terrible by any means. Compared to my mini, 5th gen amped, and a 2nd gen nano. Uncle Erik is correct though about being able to drive high impedance headphones, you'll probably need/want an amp.

Feb 14, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #7 of 68
With the Etymotics HF2 I find it a more than acceptable ultra portable rig for music, a fine enough phone and then all the other things it does as well. A real Swish army knife that does everything good enough in my opinion. A real boon as anything more bulky wont do in a three piece suit

Feb 14, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #8 of 68
I'll agree that the iPhone 3G S is a terrific sounding player. I've had an iPhone since they first came out, upgrading to the 3G S last July. I do have to say, the latest iPod Classic (160GB, revision released Sept 2009) also sounds very nice; very similar to my iPhone 3G S...

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #9 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by feverfive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll agree that the iPhone 3G S is a terrific sounding player. I've had an iPhone since they first came out, upgrading to the 3G S last July. I do have to say, the latest iPod Classic (160GB, revision released Sept 2009) also sounds very nice; very similar to my iPhone 3G S...

Yea it's said that the iPod 7Gen has sound on par with the iPhone 3GS. But yea it's a very good player with great SQ; although I wouldn't call it the "best", maybe overall for all of the things that it can do but for pure SQ it gets beat by the s:flo2/T51 and HiFi man (off the top of my head) but then again those are made for music.

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #10 of 68
I would hope it isn't 'audiophile'. After trudging through myriad audiophile boards, I tend to have pretty bad perception of audiophiles. They are: bickering people who are addicting to the lowest common denominator marketing and who hear magic rather than reality.

That said, the 3GS is a very good sounding machine. It may not be the best, but it is probably the best sounding phone.

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #11 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea it's said that the iPod 7Gen has sound on par with the iPhone 3GS. But yea it's a very good player with great SQ; although I wouldn't call it the "best", maybe overall for all of the things that it can do but for pure SQ it gets beat by the s:flo2/T51 and HiFi man (off the top of my head) but then again those are made for music.

does ipod touch 3G sound come close to these 2 brothers?

Feb 14, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #12 of 68
My question too, does the Touch 3G have the same components as the iPhone 3Gs? and is it anywhere near close to the sound of the s:flo2/T51 ? Thanks.

Feb 14, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #13 of 68
Nowhere near, in my opinion. Ipod sound quality does not do it for me in general.

I've never heard a RWA imod, but any unmodded ipod I've ever heard (most of them) are a mile away from what I would call audiophile quality.

Feb 14, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #14 of 68
I myself definately would not call the iPhone 3GS or 3G the best sounding MP3 player on the market, perhaps in the phone wise it might be, but again thats really hard to say. Would like to know really how it compares to that of the other phones such as those from Samsung, HTC, LG, Nokia etc. But comparing a iPhone 3G/3GS against others from Cowon, Sansa, Creative, HiFI Man and even Meizu is a total different ball game.

The typical Apple Fanboys who live in their Apple dream world and know sweet bugger all on Audiophile SQ or even top end SQ will argue and say that the iPhone or Ipod is the best sounding MP3 player on the market, simply because their too ignorant to try new products that have been releeased on the market.

Ohh an btw adding a good quality CMOY would be well worth it, plus pls dont expect to drive high end headphone (eg overhead ones) with a iPhone 3G/3GS the amplification would be far too gutless to power these high end headphones eg AKG K701, Beyer Dynamics, Senns etc. But for IEMs the iPhone 3GS is perfect, also not sure if it has a Vol cap on it as well.

My brother has the 16Gb 3GS and I will admit its a very nice phone indeed and the SQ is nice, though I would not say the best, I would even say my Fuze matches it easily if not better.

Feb 14, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #15 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie0904 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does ipod touch 3G sound come close to these 2 brothers?

Seconded, Would also love to know this from someone who has heard both and can compare the two

Users who are viewing this thread

Back