Does the devil wear Prada...or Phiaton?
Nov 17, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #106 of 179
How are there 7 pages of comments for this?  I know I'm only adding to it but there's really not a whole lot to discuss.  Either you're willing to pay a premium for nothing more than a brand name or you're not.  It happens all the time in many different industries.  Consumers have a choice and if they aren't educated enough or don't care let them find out for themselves if the product is worth their money. 

Nov 18, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #107 of 179

Quote:

You don't seem to understand our issue with this, although you were close to it. I don't like fashion, or at least I couldn't care less who endorses my clothes. I don't need them to be pretty, I just need them not to be ugly. But that's just me. I know lots of people who care about the brand they're wearing, and that's great for them. But in your post you defend buying things by Prada because they look good. But here you're paying for having PRADA slapped on the side. You're basically paying 450$ more for having 5 letters written on your headphones. They improved absolutely nothing, they didn't contribute with anything, they just wrote PRADA on the side! If I wanted to make a metaphor as to why brands are stupid I could never come up with something this ridiculous, and yet this happens! I can't be nice about this: someone would have to be a complete moron to buy these (I'm not referring to you).

A. Fashion is a weird thing; sometimes 5 letters makes all the difference.

B. Although I don't find this to be the case with all Prada products, I believe these are largely for status and security in the way others will judge you.  It's enough that if you're worried what your fashion-conscious friends think of you wearing headphones around town, you won't have to be if you wear these.  
"Hey Joe what are those things around your neck?" "Oh, they're Prada headphones" "Oh they're gorgeous" *other person becomes jealous*
vs.
"Hey Joe what are those things around your neck?" "Oh, they're Phiaton headphones" "Oh...okay, whatever" *other person is a judgmental person and now thinks less of me*

Yes this is a ridiculous example conversation, but you get what I mean; people are weird and judgmental and if you feel the need to impress others (I don't, but I know there are people out there who do), then these might be the way to do it. 

C. If anyone is buying Prada headphones, I highly doubt they're concerned that they could have used that money to buy better sounding cans, which I believe is the root of your, and everyone else's complaints here.  If someone wants to buy something, then who are we to say they're wasting their money?  If money was no object to me I would probably choose the Prada cans as well, if for no other reason than to match my sunglasses, and to make all the designer-loving people I know jealous.  Is Prada just trying to make some easy money?  Yes.  But if it's a product people want to buy, I don't see any problem with it.  

Nov 18, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #108 of 179

Quote:

B. Although I don't find this to be the case with all Prada products, I believe these are largely for status and security in the way others will judge you.  It's enough that if you're worried what your fashion-conscious friends think of you wearing headphones around town, you won't have to be if you wear these.  
"Hey Joe what are those things around your neck?" "Oh, they're Prada headphones" "Oh they're gorgeous" *other person becomes jealous*
vs.
"Hey Joe what are those things around your neck?" "Oh, they're Phiaton headphones" "Oh...okay, whatever" *other person is a judgmental person and now thinks less of me*

Yes this is a ridiculous example conversation, but you get what I mean; people are weird and judgmental and if you feel the need to impress others (I don't, but I know there are people out there who do), then these might be the way to do it. 

C. If anyone is buying Prada headphones, I highly doubt they're concerned that they could have used that money to buy better sounding cans, which I believe is the root of your, and everyone else's complaints here.  If someone wants to buy something, then who are we to say they're wasting their money?  If money was no object to me I would probably choose the Prada cans as well, if for no other reason than to match my sunglasses, and to make all the designer-loving people I know jealous.  Is Prada just trying to make some easy money?  Yes.  But if it's a product people want to buy, I don't see any problem with it.  

You are referring to the "swag" that comes with the Prada name, but like Monster's Beats line, is the "swag" worth the extra $300?

Nov 18, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #109 of 179

Quote:
You are referring to the "swag" that comes with the Prada name, but like Monster's Beats line, is the "swag" worth the extra $300?

For some people, definitely.  If I had a hundred million dollars right now, I'd probably get them.  It depends on how much the swag is worth to you, and how much money you have to spare.  And, for what it's worth, I think there is also a big difference here since:

A. Beats, IMO, sound pretty lousy regardless of price (overwhelming muddy bass makes listening no fun for me...hell, I'd take the stock apple buds over them), whereas Phiatons sound pretty good, and 
B. Prada's "swag" comes from about 100 years of making fine clothing, accessories, etc, which are highly sought after in the world of fashion.  They have an established reputation for quality and luxury.  Beats are a fairly new LLC owned by Monster, which is really a somewhat newer company in itself.  Beats are celebrity endorsed poorly built cans with no history behind them.  Yes, they're both swag, but one is backed by a name associated with quality and the other is just a $50 product with about $300 worth of advertising poured into it to make it seem better than it is.   

Nov 18, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #110 of 179
I guess I lied in that last post.  If I had a hundred million dollars I'd probably buy the Stax-009 and a Woo audio amp for it for the home and another can for travel...perhaps the edition 8 and a solid amp?...and then the Pradas/Phiatons would sound so lousy in comparison that I probably couldn't listen to them.  But my point holds nonetheless.  

Nov 18, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #112 of 179

Quote:

vs.

I agree with you, but still people who say that mostly are not in the position to buy in that price range. 
Maybe you are a billionaire who is very reasonable and doesn't buy what they are trying to sell.
But if that isn't the case, i think that your attitude would change if i were to give you 20 million$ in cash.
That is my fashion of seeing thing and it is not to be taken the wrong way.

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #115 of 179

Quote:

It is run-ins like these that really breaks my heart, and if anything, it just shows how affective 21st century marketing strategies are. btw show your friend the HD 800's and I'm sure he will think otherwise.

Heh, what i did to fend off the Beats people was to start wearing fullsize flagships, not IEMs to school, so my current school cans are Beyer T1 and Denon D7000 running off a balanced PB2 amp...So if any of them even dare dispute my supremacy, I'll let them have a listen, and after seeing them pick their jaw up off the floor and mumble something about them being "okay", its all the money worth, is so priceless when one of those numbskulls finally realize who's got the long end of the stick 
very_evil_smiley.gif

But anyway, Prada, you're not even welcome in hell - the Devil actually likes music according to the Catholic books on Demonology (Yes - i read strange things) so he probably would like these these rebrands very much, except for making imbecile consumer's lives that much more rediculous...But in hell people wear Grados...You know...For heavy metal (Or to be completely correct "loud kakophonic symphonies of destuction")...Any way... 
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #116 of 179
So forgive me for not being all current with fashion accessory pricing... but even with the markup isn't that cheap for Prada?

Nov 18, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #117 of 179

Quote:

Heh, what i did to fend off the Beats people was to start wearing fullsize flagships, not IEMs to school, so my current school cans are Beyer T1 and Denon D7000 running off a balanced PB2 amp...So if any of them even dare dispute my supremacy, I'll let them have a listen, and after seeing them pick their jaw up off the floor and mumble something about them being "okay", its all the money worth, is so priceless when one of those numbskulls finally realize who's got the long end of the stick 
very_evil_smiley.gif

But anyway, Prada, you're not even welcome in hell - the Devil actually likes music according to the Catholic books on Demonology (Yes - i read strange things) so he probably would like these these rebrands very much, except for making imbecile consumer's lives that much more rediculous...But in hell people wear Grados...You know...For heavy metal (Or to be completely correct "loud kakophonic symphonies of destuction")...Any way... 
biggrin.gif

FLAGSHIPS
eek.gif
JEALOUSY! Right now in my mind, you are a rich bum to be able to pay for your tuition and flagships T_T

Nov 18, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #118 of 179

Quote:

FLAGSHIPS
eek.gif
JEALOUSY! Right now in my mind, you are a rich bum to be able to pay for your tuition and flagships T_T

Rich and bum? That doesn't quite work. And x2 on the jealousy. I've picked up more hours on my job just so I can pay for mid tier headphones while paying tuition.

Nov 18, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #120 of 179

Quote:
ehhh only thing i could think of, and at least you got a part time...

Its a job on campus, it was originally filled, but I am friends with some of the professors, and I called in a favor. Eventually, I managed to get this IT job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back