Does the devil wear Prada...or Phiaton?
Nov 17, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #91 of 179

Quote:
eek.gif

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

Mine too.

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #92 of 179

Quote:
I can confirm these are rebranded Phiatons. And no I did not buy them, but Phiaton is mentioned as the manufacturer in the manual.

Where did you find that? I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Jude was the first to spot this.

Nov 17, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #93 of 179
Byes phiatons, pulls out silver sharpie--->ebay.

Nov 17, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #94 of 179
Yo people should be able to spend their own money without criticism.  OBVIOUSLY, if you're buying Prada headphones, it isn't solely for the sound quality.  Prada has nothing to do with electronics, and anyone who thinks that Prada headphones will sound better because they're Prada is crazy.  

I actually like the idea.  I have a love of both headphones and fashion, and Prada makes some great things (I own a gorgeous pair of sunglasses).  Now, I wouldn't buy these, simply because I don't find them especially more attractive than the Phiatons (since they look identical), but I don't see the issue with headphones as fashion accessories, as long as you recognize that that's what they are and that you're not paying for sound, but looks (*cough* Beats *cough*).  At least these Pradas sound good (assuming they are rebranded Phiatons), maybe not for the money, but enough that they're not just a fashion accessory.  Which, IMO is probably more than I could say about the Beats...

I'll always choose sound over looks, despite my love of fashion.  But there are those who are so fashion conscious that perhaps they'd be unwilling to slap on a pair of Grados with neon yellow Senny pads.  This is a nice option for those with the cash and the desire to have their music sound good and still stay fashion conscious.  I wish Prada had changed the look a little more so that it would actually be a better accessory, but as-is they're still attractive headphones, and if you're sporting them around town you definitely won't be getting disapproving comments from fashionista friends.  

Overpriced for headphones? Yes
Overpriced for accessories? Yes
Overpriced for both combined?  Probably not for some, considering the market crossover is basically zero

Nov 17, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #95 of 179
Considering other Prada products, it is quite "cheap".
But people who buy that stuff, are mostly superficial enough to not care about SQ anyway. 

Did somebody scroll down and the Fiat 500 "Prada Edition". I think it was 16000Euro/$ (can't remember).

What's next, Prada branded dogs?

Nov 17, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #96 of 179

Quote:
Considering other Prada products, it is quite "cheap".
But people who buy that stuff, are mostly superficial enough to not care about SQ anyway. 

Did somebody scroll down and the Fiat 500 "Prada Edition". I think it was 16000Euro/$ (can't remember).

What's next, Prada branded dogs?

haha i could see that, you see a lil chiwawa or a pomeranian  with a Prada pedigree. That makes me laugh :)

Nov 17, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #101 of 179

Quote:
Yo people should be able to spend their own money without criticism.  OBVIOUSLY, if you're buying Prada headphones, it isn't solely for the sound quality.  Prada has nothing to do with electronics, and anyone who thinks that Prada headphones will sound better because they're Prada is crazy.  

I actually like the idea.  I have a love of both headphones and fashion, and Prada makes some great things (I own a gorgeous pair of sunglasses).  Now, I wouldn't buy these, simply because I don't find them especially more attractive than the Phiatons (since they look identical), but I don't see the issue with headphones as fashion accessories, as long as you recognize that that's what they are and that you're not paying for sound, but looks (*cough* Beats *cough*).  At least these Pradas sound good (assuming they are rebranded Phiatons), maybe not for the money, but enough that they're not just a fashion accessory.  Which, IMO is probably more than I could say about the Beats...

I'll always choose sound over looks, despite my love of fashion.  But there are those who are so fashion conscious that perhaps they'd be unwilling to slap on a pair of Grados with neon yellow Senny pads.  This is a nice option for those with the cash and the desire to have their music sound good and still stay fashion conscious.  I wish Prada had changed the look a little more so that it would actually be a better accessory, but as-is they're still attractive headphones, and if you're sporting them around town you definitely won't be getting disapproving comments from fashionista friends.  

Overpriced for both combined?  Probably not for some, considering the market crossover is basically zero

You don't seem to understand our issue with this, although you were close to it. I don't like fashion, or at least I couldn't care less who endorses my clothes. I don't need them to be pretty, I just need them not to be ugly. But that's just me. I know lots of people who care about the brand they're wearing, and that's great for them. But in your post you defend buying things by Prada because they look good. But here you're paying for having PRADA slapped on the side. You're basically paying 450$ more for having 5 letters written on your headphones. They improved absolutely nothing, they didn't contribute with anything, they just wrote PRADA on the side! If I wanted to make a metaphor as to why brands are stupid I could never come up with something this ridiculous, and yet this happens! I can't be nice about this: someone would have to be a complete moron to buy these (I'm not referring to you).

Nov 17, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #102 of 179

Quote:

You don't seem to understand our issue with this, although you were close to it. I don't like fashion, or at least I couldn't care less who endorses my clothes. I don't need them to be pretty, I just need them not to be ugly. But that's just me. I know lots of people who care about the brand they're wearing, and that's great for them. But in your post you defend buying things by Prada because they look good. But here you're paying for having PRADA slapped on the side. You're basically paying 450$ more for having 5 letters written on your headphones. They improved absolutely nothing, they didn't contribute with anything, they just wrote PRADA on the side! If I wanted to make a metaphor as to why brands are stupid I could never come up with something this ridiculous, and yet this happens! I can't be nice about this: someone would have to be a complete moron to buy these (I'm not referring to you).

Marketing is the strategic manipulation of people. (...brainwash...) 

Nov 17, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #103 of 179

Quote:

You are actually paying $450 to have 3 less letters. Now Prada isn't a stranger to rebranding, cuz if i remember correctly Prada did the same thing with an LG phone some time ago.

Nov 17, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #104 of 179

Quote:
You are actually paying $450 to have 3 less letters. Now Prada isn't a stranger to rebranding, cuz if i remember correctly Prada did the same thing with an LG phone some time ago.

Don't forget TagHeuer & Jil Sanders. 

meridiist-pl.jpg
Tag-Heuer-Meridiist-Gulf-Phone-2.jpg
lge906sander-585x598.jpg
(LG E906)

.....branding has become something very normal among (high-end) brands.
I personally find it pathetic, but if that's what people fall for....i can't say anything.

P.S.: Sorry about the Meridiist, but look what it has to offer at 3600Euro - 4500Euro: 

2 megapixel camera, a primary 1.9-inch display with QVGA resolution and a secondary OLED one with a resolution of 96 x 76 pixels. The secondary display is rather unusually placed on top of the device and is used for displaying the time (with Swiss precision, you can bet (- ....yeah right...) ) and your incoming call ID.

Nov 17, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #105 of 179

Quote:

You realize that in essence, headphones are accessories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back