Does it make sense to use a headphone amp with aK120 without the modification using headphone jack?
Mar 21, 2014 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

jlbrach

Headphoneus Supremus
I own the AK120 and am wondering if people use a quality headphone amp without modifying the 120?I understand the concept of the modification but am interested in peoples opinion regarding the use of an amp with headphones or IEM's that are not very efficient and require amplification!Is the resulting sound going to suffer?

Mar 21, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #2 of 2
  I own the AK120 and am wondering if people use a quality headphone amp without modifying the 120?I understand the concept of the modification but am interested in peoples opinion regarding the use of an amp with headphones or IEM's that are not very efficient and require amplification!Is the resulting sound going to suffer?

I used my ATH-A900X and HA-S500s with the AK120 when it was demoed at the audio meet in Burlingame.
Thought the AK120 did a decent job of driving them.
So if you stick to easy to drive headphones you my not need to use an add-on headphone amplifier.
Or you could just get a FiiO E11 portable headphone amplifier and use it with the AK120.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back