does every rapper have to have a pair of dr dre beats?
Aug 12, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #31 of 78
The price I saw was in an airport... checking again, I see that they are $250-300, cheaper, but still $100 more than my KDE

Quote:
As for the KDE/250, not sure I could stand to have those in or on my ears.  Not exactly isolating from appearances.  For $140 I think DDMs and DBAs might be a good alternative as well.  Anyway, I have the Koss I want.  I'm glad you enjoy yours.

They are indeed hard to fit, and do not isolate... I have Etymotics for that. $140 DDMs are indeed superior, I listened to them at CanJam... The DBA is a dual balanced armature earphone? I have not had good experiences with those... over $1000  (JH16) to sound as good to me as a dual dymnamic; no thank you.

If the DDMs where out at the time I bought the KDE, I doubtless would have purchased them, tested their quality, and found them better that the Koss... as it was, I went through about 5 other ~$150 head/earphones (ATH-AD700, ZAGGphones, Etymotic Hf5, Koss CC_01, Uncles Sony I don't remember, Everything on display at B-Buy, ect) and  and landed on the KDE/250.

Aug 12, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #32 of 78

Quote:
I have returns where I work constantly. All snapped. Yet I still get gangster-esque people coming in asking "yo do u stock dem Dr Dre headphones init'

I did meet a lovely woman wanting to buy them for her husband, and directed her to the senn. hd650's - same price UK. He came and personally thanked me after comparing them with the beats.

Did her husband have a proper amp to go with it?
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 12, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #33 of 78

Quote:
The hilarious part is that your Senns probably reach several higher Earth-shaking degrees of magnitude, presuming that you use a powerful headphone amplifier and he surely doesn't.

I'm far too afraid to max out the volume on my HD650s with my Glite for fear of damaging them. The knob never passes 9 o'clock when they're on my head, it's plenty for me. I did plug in some cheapo buds and put the pedal to the metal, and there was a little melting and not much music reproduction.

Aug 12, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #35 of 78
Gah, it does appear that the Beats have gone the way of the Timberland boots, the do-rag and diamond-encrusted platinum watches. You gotta sport a pair of Beats to make it in the "bizznaz". Even at a recent UFC weigh-in, I saw Silva stroll up to the weighing scale sporting a pair of Beats. I say "sporting" because he wasn't even wearing them. He just had them around his neck like they were an accessory.

Aug 12, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #36 of 78

Quote:
Did her husband have a proper amp to go with it?
tongue_smile.gif

I work in an Apple store. She told me his set up - he's a recording artist and so had the apogee duet. i told her she's halfway there - without going into what the fudge a DAC was, and told her to look into amps for future presents.

Kills me some of the headphones I see sold for the price. Some people don't wanna take your advice though. They love the Bose and and the Beats and all that jazz.

I'm currently running my 650's straight from my Macbook (saving up for a set up) yet the sound quality comparing the Beats and the Senns. is formidable.

I often send your non-rapper type customer to the private owned Hi-Fi store 10 minutes away where they have some Grado's, Senn's. and Denon's on display, right next to some nice headphone amps and DAC's. The guys in there take it from there explaining the in's and out's. But if I see them again, they're usually in for a new iPhone or something. Never new headphones.

Aug 12, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #38 of 78

Quote:

I work in an Apple store. She told me his set up - he's a recording artist and so had the apogee duet. i told her she's halfway there - without going into what the fudge a DAC was, and told her to look into amps for future presents.

Kills me some of the headphones I see sold for the price. Some people don't wanna take your advice though. They love the Bose and and the Beats and all that jazz.

I'm currently running my 650's straight from my Macbook (saving up for a set up) yet the sound quality comparing the Beats and the Senns. is formidable.

I often send your non-rapper type customer to the private owned Hi-Fi store 10 minutes away where they have some Grado's, Senn's. and Denon's on display, right next to some nice headphone amps and DAC's. The guys in there take it from there explaining the in's and out's. But if I see them again, they're usually in for a new iPhone or something. Never new headphones.

From now on, I'm going to have to send over my friends, family, future girlfriends over to your store and maybe  you can give them some "recommendations" also. I'll PM you ahead of time what to "recommend".
beerchug.gif

Aug 12, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #39 of 78
I went to the beats website to look at technical details. I wanted to see if the impedance was high, to see if they would benefit from an amp. Yeah, no technical details were to be found. Does anyone know?

Aug 12, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #40 of 78

Quote:
I went to the beats website to look at technical details. I wanted to see if the impedance was high, to see if they would benefit from an amp. Yeah, no technical details were to be found. Does anyone know?

same here....the boxes containing the cans don't show the technical specifications either....I guess they didn't expect audiophiles to buy them....

Aug 12, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #41 of 78

Quote:
same here....the boxes containing the cans don't show the technical specifications either....I guess they didn't expect audiophiles to buy them....

I don't expect anyone on headfi to buy them either. If a member does, shame on him.

Aug 12, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #44 of 78
I will have to admit, before joining this forum (a month ago), I was contemplating about buying the Beats. But thanks to this forum, it has educated me on other options out there, Conversely, Monster is  a marketing genius in my opinion. As they got Dr Dre one of the best sound producers of hip hop, who is synonyms for creating unique and fluid beats Thus, their target audience seems to be the 14-35 yr old and who else to help promote the Beats but hip hop artist and athletes to help associate the product with these individual stars. Look you might not have money like these stars but you can own the same headphones as them. That is marketing at it's best and with their other lines of headphones such as Lady Gaga, Diddy Beats and Miles Davis lines, all they need now is to get headphones to market the alternative (rock) headphone and maybe call it the " High Voltage"as a tribute to rock band sounds...haha But all in all I don't think the Beats are as trashy as some think they are, it's just way too over priced for what you get. Just my humble opinion as a newbie.

Aug 12, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #45 of 78

Quote:
I will have to admit, before joining this forum (a month ago), I was contemplating about buying the Beats. But thanks to this forum, it has educated me on other options out there, Conversely, Monster is  a marketing genius in my opinion. As they got Dr Dre one of the best sound producers of hip hop, who is synonyms for creating unique and fluid beats Thus, their target audience seems to be the 14-35 yr old and who else to help promote the Beats but hip hop artist and athletes to help associate the product with these individual stars. Look you might not have money like these stars but you can own the same headphones as them. That is marketing at it's best and with their other lines of headphones such as Lady Gaga, Diddy Beats and Miles Davis lines, all they need now is to get headphones to market the alternative (rock) headphone and maybe call it the " High Voltage"as a tribute to rock band sounds...haha But all in all I don't think the Beats are as trashy as some think they are, it's just way too over priced for what you get. Just my humble opinion as a newbie.

Nah, you are pretty spot on about everything you said.  Those Studio Beats go on sale for $197 regularly.  Everything in their entire headphone line up can be had for <$250 w/ good timing and a good search.  Monster products at full retail are never a good idea.  The 'High Voltage' should be the Coppers aka. AC/DC's.  I've heard my share of crap products from Sennheiser and Shure as well.  No company is above it.  The only thing wrong w/ Monster if anything are those that are susceptible to marketing and then pay full retail w/o considering the alternatives.  I'm not sure Monster is to blame for that.    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back