Does anyone use mog?
Feb 25, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #121 of 201
I have loved MOG and am sick about its demise. I'm going through a moment where I'm trying all of them - Beats, Spotify, Google All Access, and rdio. What I've learned is that I just hate using Spotify and Beats and that I really love using rdio and feel like it reminds me a lot of MOG.   It turns out that the library/ collection capability is really important to me - I'm an album guy and playlists just aren't for me. 

I'm so glad to hear that rdio is going 320 - I'm going to turn my trial into a membership and try to tough it out quality-wise until 320 hits.

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #122 of 201
I seem to be the odd man out here. I use Rhapsody.  About a year ago I wasn't sure I was happy with Rhapsody so I tried some other services (MOG, Spotify and Sony).  I went fully in and paid the $10 for full service for a month with each of them.  In the end I stuck with Rhaposdy because of the user interface.  Rhapsody allows you to create a "library" of all of your favorite music as well as playlists and radio stations.  Their Windows desktop app will also allow you to integrate your own music on your computer into your library.  I know that Rhaposody only streams at 256 (and you have to go into settings and select that option) but for me the user interface outweighs the higher streaming rate of 320 (when it is available).  FYI I am not afiliated with Rhapsody in any way, just a happy user.

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #123 of 201
  We (Rdio) stream 192kbps, but will be notching up to 320kbps in the later half of this year.  On the phone, you'll have that as the high bitrate option... and I forget what the lower bitrate option is, but obviously it's there to avoid using too much data.

uzi,

Thanks for your reply. I actually singed up for your paid service... And so far I am liking the quality and album/play list style... Though still getting use to it... I am sure you dodge the statement purposely and I think I know the answer... But is there a chance that in the near future the Adobe Air app will get updated for Linux?

This is not a close "M$" world any more.... or even Mac for that matter... There plenty of Linux users out there that would appreciate such app... I know Adobe Air deprecated Linux development ages ago but that does not mean you can drop Linux app support :p

Thanks! :D

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #124 of 201
I have loved MOG and am sick about its demise. I'm going through a moment where I'm trying all of them - Beats, Spotify, Google All Access, and rdio. What I've learned is that I just hate using Spotify and Beats and that I really love using rdio and feel like it reminds me a lot of MOG.   It turns out that the library/ collection capability is really important to me - I'm an album guy and playlists just aren't for me. 

I'm so glad to hear that rdio is going 320 - I'm going to turn my trial into a membership and try to tough it out quality-wise until 320 hits.

^ I have not tried Beats but I mostly agree with you. I also listen by albums and prefer Rdio's UI over that of Spotify. So Beats' UI is very different than MOG? I heard swiping to left from Beats' main menu can bring you to an album search interface similar to that of MOG, have you tried that?

Re bitrate though, personally I will be happy enough if Rdio does LAME V0 VBR mp3. 320 kbps CBR mp3 does not offer much (if any) benefit over LAME V0 VBR, while still taking more space.

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #125 of 201
Re bitrate though, personally I will be happy enough if Rdio does LAME V0 VBR mp3. 320 kbps CBR mp3 does not offer much (if any) benefit over LAME V0 VBR, while still taking more space.

My understanding is that for streaming applications, you want to use a CBR rather than a VBR or ABR compression format.

Thanks for your reply. I actually singed up for your paid service... And so far I am liking the quality and album/play list style... Though still getting use to it... I am sure you dodge the statement purposely and I think I know the answer... But is there a chance that in the near future the Adobe Air app will get updated for Linux?

This is not a close "M$" world any more.... or even Mac for that matter... There plenty of Linux users out there that would appreciate such app... I know Adobe Air deprecated Linux development ages ago but that does not mean you can drop Linux app support :p

The Abode Air app is ancient history... we've done the native app thing for a while now.  First off, I should say that I'm a former Linux kernel hacker and I've been using it since kernel version 1.1.59... though I'm on a Mac these days.  That said, not having it is not a huge deal (I hope).  Honestly, just using it in a web browser should hopefully be sufficient as it'll have the same interface.  The only reason I use the Mac app is for the fact that it minimizes and responds to the play/pause and skip keys on the keyboard.

If you feel strongly about it, feel free to hit up our support team with a request for it.  Votes help.  But realistically, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Feb 26, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #126 of 201

My understanding is that for streaming applications, you want to use a CBR rather than a VBR or ABR compression format.

The Abode Air app is ancient history... we've done the native app thing for a while now.  First off, I should say that I'm a former Linux kernel hacker and I've been using it since kernel version 1.1.59... though I'm on a Mac these days.  That said, not having it is not a huge deal (I hope).  Honestly, just using it in a web browser should hopefully be sufficient as it'll have the same interface.  The only reason I use the Mac app is for the fact that it minimizes and responds to the play/pause and skip keys on the keyboard.

If you feel strongly about it, feel free to hit up our support team with a request for it.  Votes help.  But realistically, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Love the rdio interface, it's just the low quality music is really a turn off, any updates?

Feb 26, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #127 of 201
  Love the rdio interface, it's just the low quality music is really a turn off, any updates?

Nothing more than I've already said... that we'll be switching to 320kbps later this year.  I don't have a specific date, and the transition will likely be gradual (as it takes time to re-encode millions of tracks).

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #130 of 201

Thanks for your reply.

Regards.

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #131 of 201

Thanks for your reply.

Sure.

Anyone know of a list that has the breakdowns of all the prices for these services?

That would depends on your country and what you want.  In the US, if you want single user and on-demand, they're all (for the most part) $5 for web and $10 for web+mobile.  Some offer things like student discounts and/or family plans.  There are articles in blogs like lifehacker, etc. that compare 'em all, including price... or you can just stop by all the websites.

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #132 of 201

Sure.

That would depends on your country and what you want.  In the US, if you want single user and on-demand, they're all (for the most part) $5 for web and $10 for web+mobile.  Some offer things like student discounts and/or family plans.  There are articles in blogs like lifehacker, etc. that compare 'em all, including price... or you can just stop by all the websites.

I'm in the US, student discounts would be awesome :D  I'll have to look into it more..

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #133 of 201
Feb 28, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #135 of 201
Hi uzi,

I have to say that as a recovering MOG user, I am in love with RDIO. I'm sorry it too me so long to check you guys out. I loved MOG while I had it, but if it was still around and I was choosing now, I'd pick RDIO. In the last week I've discovered more new music that fits me than I did in the last year. Your interface on all platforms is clean and elegant.

Noticed you were getting into Jazz. Obviously Miles Davis' Kind of Blue is a must listen, but I also suggest you put on those good cans and queue up some Mingus.  Pure listening heaven.

Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back