Does anyone use mog?
Mar 2, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 201
Well, I'm a bit biased since I work on one of Mog's competitors, Rdio (http://rdio.com).  I'd encourage you to try all of us (Rdio, Mog, Spotify, Rhapsody) as we all have free trials... that way you can answer your own question based on your experience and use.  Think of it like trying Netflix... if you try Netflix and decide to cancel, you haven't lost very much.

I personally enjoy the ability to listen to music without the need to buy it.  I'm listening to a lot more and more varied music than I'd be listening to otherwise and find it quite liberating to be able to explore things so easily.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Mar 2, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #3 of 201
I've been using Rdio for the last month and love it. The only problems I have with it is that the Android app is missing a few features that are incredibly useful, for instance: the ability to queue up songs and create playlist in the mobile app, and it's missing the pretty awesome Play Station feature which is basically a shuffle for your entire collection.

I've tried A-Bing different songs from Rdio to V0 quality MP3s (since I can't tell any difference between these and their flac counterparts) and I couldn't distinguish audio quality differences between the Rdio steam and the V0 files. Good enough for me!

You do have to pay 10 bucks for mobile app usage, though I suppose one could just play the Rdio station through a mobile browser - which I've done before, but it's not nearly as user friendly on a phone compared to the native app.

Mar 2, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #4 of 201
Brandon7s, as you probably know, our Android app got a complete rewrite from the ground up recently.  Our guys are still working on bug fixing and improving the app.  I'm more than happy to pass along any feedback and feature requests you have to the team.  (No need to reiterate the ones you've already mentioned, those are going in an email right now.)

Mar 2, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 201
I had heard that they recently did a rewrite; I'm looking forward to them putting out some more updates. The only other feature I can think of that should be added is the ability to select a playback point in a song. Currently, you have to listen to the entire song from beginning to end. One cannot scrub through the track like they can on the web version. That's really the only other thing I can think of that's missing, right now.

Mar 6, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 201
I use MOG and I love it!  I prefer it to spotify actually.  Never tried Rdio, so I cannot tell you how it compares.  The one thing I really like about MOG is the Radio feature.  So you can cue up a bunch of music, but at the end of the music cue is a a Radio that will play either 100% of the artist or album you were last playing or you can use a slider to control how much different music gets mixed in.  It's like Pandora with a control on how much variety gets mixed into your radio station.  It's really a killer feature in my book.  Also, I like that all streams from MOG either on the Android app or on the main desktop app are all 320kbps.  

Most streams on Spotify are 128kbs and can suffer with better equipment.  It is unlikely you can tell the difference on nearly any equipment between 320kbps VBR ogg streams and FLAC.

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #7 of 201
MOG user here. The iPhone app beats Spotify's IMHO. Mobile app & Mac app both support AirPlay, which Spotify's desktop app did not. I actually use that quite a bit at home. AirPlay performance seems better from the mobile app, though. The desktop app cuts in/out over AirPlay a lot, for some reason.

I tried Rdio a long time ago, but couldn't really see any big improvements to cause me to want to try it again, EXCEPT they offer a multi-user plan option. MOG & Spotify you can't use two apps simultaneously on one login...one person gets kicked off.

MOG is on Roku, too. Interface is a little clunky on Roku.

Recently heard that MOG put itself up for sale, so that worries me a little...

Mar 11, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 201
I normally listen to my library in FLAC format when I'm home but at work I listen to MOG extensively.  Tried Spotify back when it first launched in the US but while their premium benefits list 320kbps encoded files that's only true for some songs and a lot of what I like wasn't.  MOG works well for me overall and everything is in 320 which is the best I've found for a streaming service.

Quote:
Well, I'm a bit biased since I work on one of Mog's competitors, Rdio (http://rdio.com).  I'd encourage you to try all of us (Rdio, Mog, Spotify, Rhapsody) as we all have free trials... that way you can answer your own question based on your experience and use.  Think of it like trying Netflix... if you try Netflix and decide to cancel, you haven't lost very much.

I personally enjoy the ability to listen to music without the need to buy it.  I'm listening to a lot more and more varied music than I'd be listening to otherwise and find it quite liberating to be able to explore things so easily.  Let me know if you have any questions.

I actually used to use Rdio and switched to MOG.  I do think the social features and layout of Rdio are nicer overall but what I care most about is the sound.  I pay $5 a month at MOG right now for 320kbps streaming, if Rdio can offer the same or better sound quality at that price (and maybe the radio feature MOG has) I will happily switch back.

Mar 12, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #9 of 201
I'm trying MOG after having difficulty finding a lot of music on Rdio, and after being frustrated by Rdio's horrible playlist support. You have to add every single song to a playlist individually. How crazy is that? Anyways, the main reason I'm trying MOG now is because they seem to have WAY more music available. Strangely enough, there are a few artists that they have very little on. Like Sufjan Stevens and Explosions in the Sky. Two really big names in their respective genres; I found that strange. Still, MOG seems to have much more than Rdio on the whole. Great playlist support and a much more comprehensive Android application.

I'm going to give it a month or so and then I'll decide on which service I will be sticking with. Right now, my impression is that MOG has more of what I use. Doesn't look as pretty, but it's not ugly either.

Mar 13, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #11 of 201
I've been using mog recently, but today I started up with some dubstep and put the slider thing on "similar artists" and a few hours later I was listening to cajun music lol.

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #12 of 201
I just decided to try mog because i wanted to try a service that had a higher bitrate than (shudder) rhapsody.  Too me 10 minutes and I have already cancelled rhapsody, MOG sounds WAY better and ***** you head-fi forums for making me so picky when it comes to music (no offense of course)

Mar 27, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #13 of 201
I never really paid attention to the bit rate of my mp3's before but after noticing most were under 320kbs I signed up for Spotify's free month of premium because 99% were supposed to by 320kbs.  It sounded better then my mp3s. Then tried out Mog and was blown away how much better it sounded then Spotify's "320kbs".  Mog even had a better selection of music that I was looking for.  I now pay for Mog and plan paying for the foreseeable future.

Mar 27, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #14 of 201

Quote:
I never really paid attention to the bit rate of my mp3's before but after noticing most were under 320kbs I signed up for Spotify's free month of premium because 99% were supposed to by 320kbs.  It sounded better then my mp3s. Then tried out Mog and was blown away how much better it sounded then Spotify's "320kbs".  Mog even had a better selection of music that I was looking for.  I now pay for Mog and plan paying for the foreseeable future.

MOG user here, also. Don't have Iphone, Ipad etc, so I purchased the 4.99 deal. Been using MOG in general for about 2 weeks now as a freebie. Ran out today, and I was more than happy to give MOG 5 greenbacks a Month. I have compared it extensively to Spotify, (got a trial month) and Rhapsody. Been a member of Rhapsody for several years. Here's my take......
MOG smokes em out. I agree with an earlier post, even though spotify is also at 320, MOG sounds considerably a month deal the other day. The onlybetter. (Rhapsody had been great but I cancelled the 10 dollar. The only thing I can say about Spotify, is it does gapless seamless. But again, everything sounds perfect on MOG, even though it loads songs slower, but there are no brief hiccups (Spotify). Anyways, I'm also cathing some old albums on MOG that no one else has.......Very impressive, and I hope they do gapless some day

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #15 of 201
I have been a member of MOG for >6 months. The sound quality from MOG streaming or downloads (320 kbs) is magnificent. I have even done side by side comparisons playing the same song from my iTunes library (Apple Lossless from CD rips 16/44) and MOG sounds better, not sure why but it does sound more clear and more musical in both headphones and Audioengine A2 speakers.

I tested Rdio and Spotify with MOG, and in my experience MOG has by far the best sound and equal catalogue of music. I am not sure why Spotify is so well known but MOG is still unknown by most, but they are the best and the have fantastic apps for the computer, the iPhone and the iPad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back