Does anyone use mog?
Jan 21, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #91 of 201
Guys, I am sure most of you heard the news. MOG will be gone on April 15, along with your current library (there is no way to transfer your current library to Beats). Beats subscription seems to be offered exclusively from AT&T.

Personally, I am really mad and will be switching to Spotify. I have over 20GB of MOG collection and easily over 100 musicians -- I hate to download them one by one again.

Jan 21, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #92 of 201
If I read the article correctly there is an interesting statement that they will be offering A T and T type pricing for current MOG users who switch to Beats Music.   Might be a way to back door into that pricing if MOG still allows you to sign up?   If the Beats service is good and you aren't an A T and T customer that might work for some.  

Jan 21, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #93 of 201
This is grade A horsesh##...

Couldn't they carry over favorites, playlists, etc to the new service for current MOG subscribers? No? Everything wiped out... Wonderful. 

And so I try to register with the new service anyway for the free trial (what the heck) and I keep getting kicked back "We're having connection problems". Not a warm and fuzzy feeling so far. And honestly, really not super excited about "Beats" being the source to my thousands of dollars of high end equipment, LOL. Kind of just feels off, doesn't it?

Oh well there's always Spotify to go back to. 

Jan 21, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #95 of 201
Yea, as a current MOG user this disappoints me a bit. I'll probably be switching to Rdio or Spotify. I've always liked MOG too, I have just over 600 albums saved to my favorites, so this kind of sucks. At least I have a couple months to decide. 

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #98 of 201
I always thought MOG sounded better than Spotify, but I had both. However, I have so much lossless music that I really never used either one anyway. I just kept paying for them, but I almost never used them.

Very rarely lately, I used them just for pre-listening to something I didn't have.

I've been meaning to get around to cancelling one of them, since I just don't use them anymore.

MOG just made the decision for me. I cancelled MOG, and I really should do the same with Spotify, but haven't yet. 

Jan 30, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #100 of 201
I've heard good things about Deezer. The only thing that I would prefer is a desktop player like Rdio. But Rdio has 192 kbps audio, the staff wont even release their own bitrate. 

uzi, could you add to this?

Jan 31, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #101 of 201
  I've heard good things about Deezer. The only thing that I would prefer is a desktop player like Rdio. But Rdio has 192 kbps audio, the staff wont even release their own bitrate. 

uzi, could you add to this?

Yep, I can -- we do have 192 kbps audio currently... and the plan is to switch over to 320 kbps around mid-year.  We had an all-hands meeting earlier today (just normal status update stuff) and I raised the issue just for you... and we'll start answering the bitrate question.

Honestly, most users aren't going to care or hear the difference.  The upper end of compressed audio bitrates are diminishing returns anyways.  Going 192 to 320 is barely perceptible unless you're closely A/Bing it.  Going to lossless is more significant.  Better mastering even more so, which is why I'm personally buying stuff like Audio Fidelity and Mobile Fidelity releases and rippling lossless when I really care about something.  It's just you audiophile nerds (a term I use tongue-in-cheek since I'm one of you) who will care.  Fortunately, this issue will be going away and you can appreciate Rdio as being the best service (also tongue-in-cheek since I'm obviously biased... but really are the best).

Feb 2, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #102 of 201
  Yep, I can -- we do have 192 kbps audio currently... and the plan is to switch over to 320 kbps around mid-year.  We had an all-hands meeting earlier today (just normal status update stuff) and I raised the issue just for you... and we'll start answering the bitrate question.

Honestly, most users aren't going to care or hear the difference.  The upper end of compressed audio bitrates are diminishing returns anyways.  Going 192 to 320 is barely perceptible unless you're closely A/Bing it.  Going to lossless is more significant.  Better mastering even more so, which is why I'm personally buying stuff like Audio Fidelity and Mobile Fidelity releases and rippling lossless when I really care about something.  It's just you audiophile nerds (a term I use tongue-in-cheek since I'm one of you) who will care.  Fortunately, this issue will be going away and you can appreciate Rdio as being the best service (also tongue-in-cheek since I'm obviously biased... but really are the best).

As soon as Rdio goes 320kbps, that is the service I will be paying for.  Keep us posted.

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #103 of 201
  As soon as Rdio goes 320kbps, that is the service I will be paying for.  Keep us posted.

Oh don't worry, I'll be shouting it from the hilltops. :)

I'm tired of it being an excuse to not use Rdio when there are so many other good reasons to use the service.

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #104 of 201
I'll be moving to Spotify. Being a Squeezebox user I have little choice. As far as Beats go, I wish them well. They are in business to make money. Had MOG made more money they would still be in business and this wouldn't be an issue.

cubdog

Feb 12, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #105 of 201

Very interested in this. Been very happy with Mog and nothing else compares atm (never tried Rdio's 192 but Shopify's sometimes 128kbps is very noticable)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back