Does anyone own the Wyred4sound DAC 2?
Aug 19, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #1,246 of 1,409
Quote:
Bank transfer or paypal work as well, no need to scare the little coins in your wallet !
cool.gif

Anyway, that's the heart of the matter : the upgrade price is quite large, nearly two thirds of the initial price. I'm still looking for more opinions and tests about the DSDse version before jumping and killing my bank account.

Do it... do it 
evil_smiley.gif
now! The advances made are solid. And their DACs are upgradeable, so when 2015 rolls around you'll still be rolling in value. 
wink.gif

Aug 19, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #1,247 of 1,409
Quote:
Quote:
Bank transfer or paypal work as well, no need to scare the little coins in your wallet !
cool.gif

Anyway, that's the heart of the matter : the upgrade price is quite large, nearly two thirds of the initial price. I'm still looking for more opinions and tests about the DSDse version before jumping and killing my bank account.

Do it... do it 
evil_smiley.gif
now! The advances made are solid. And their DACs are upgradeable, so when 2015 rolls around you'll still be rolling in value. 
wink.gif

You know you want to....

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #1,249 of 1,409
I quoted the wrong post....I know I am preaching to the choir! Can I get a witness from the congregation?

Aug 20, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #1,251 of 1,409
:D  It's dgilz that's on the fence. I'm lacking funds not conviction!

Many desires and not enough money, well I share the same problem. I've contacted the W4S French distributor to organize some listening of the se for some DAC2 current owners and he hasn't been motivated by the request... I'm really not so confident to put that much money without a listening session before.

Aug 20, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #1,252 of 1,409
Quote:
Many desires and not enough money, well I share the same problem. I've contacted the W4S French distributor to organize some listening of the se for some DAC2 current owners and he hasn't been motivated by the request... I'm really not so confident to put that much money without a listening session before.

All of my head-fi gears & accessories have been blind purchases. But I understand what you've expressed. Not sure what other gears you have, but based on what I know about the boys at W4S and their back story in addition to their builds, I trust them. I believe these changes are worthy.

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #1,254 of 1,409
I have a pretty decent system : mac mini with Audirvana+ / W4S DAC2 / Trafomatic Experience Head One / Grado PS1000
In addition, from outside the US, the upgrade process hasn't been specified : who sends what to whom and how long should it take. I think the local distributor is quite busy and doesn't have much time to answer at the moment, I should try and contact him again. :)

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #1,255 of 1,409
I've covered this ground before so please indulge me.  I'm going to upgrade to the DSD/USB and the silver case just go with my Liquid Fire.  A while back I had a fire of my own burning to paint the case shiny RED but that has passed and now I want to have it black but I'm not sold on W4S black. I'd rather have a smooth or shiny finish on the case.  I ran it by Clint probably a year or more ago and it was going to be up to me for those changes.  Anyone thought of doing the same?  Doing it myself would be an option but removing the existing paint looks to be a pain unless it was bead blasted and then I'm probably going to be looking who knows what.  I'll call a few body shops to get quotes.  I could paint it myself but no longer have a spray booth...........

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #1,256 of 1,409
Quote:
I've covered this ground before so please indulge me.  I'm going to upgrade to the DSD/USB and the silver case just go with my Liquid Fire.  A while back I had a fire of my own burning to paint the case shiny RED but that has passed and now I want to have it black but I'm not sold on W4S black. I'd rather have a smooth or shiny finish on the case.  I ran it by Clint probably a year or more ago and it was going to be up to me for those changes.  Anyone thought of doing the same?  Doing it myself would be an option but removing the existing paint looks to be a pain unless it was bead blasted and then I'm probably going to be looking who knows what.  I'll call a few body shops to get quotes.  I could paint it myself but no longer have a spray booth...........

YES.

I replied on the heels your quest. I too, dislike the textured powdered coating - a smooth finish should reflect a richer coat. Clint gave me the same answer.

However, if I find the funds to get the special edition, I still want access to their vendor and simply pay more for special handling... and be done with it.

Further, I want mine to be Triple Black with black switches and EVEN black graphics! 
evil_smiley.gif
 Don't care if my guests or W4S cannot make out the printing. 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #1,257 of 1,409
I'd be on board with that too.  I''l contact him again to see what the deal is.  As I recall earlier I could get an unfinished case but I had to find someone to finish it.

Aug 21, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #1,258 of 1,409
Great... let him know there's interest! What kills the Black version for me is the texture of the powder coating makes the case appear to be Charcoal rather than Black.

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #1,259 of 1,409
I contacted him and he says the case has normal imperfections and the powder coat covers it.  To get it smooth enough he's thinking about $200-250.  I think I can get that done myself for less than that with some elbow grease and taking it to an auto body guy I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back