Does anyone own the Wyred4sound DAC 2?
Jan 27, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #766 of 1,409
Thats pretty much what I thought you meant.  I'm not surprised you found the laptop to have an inferior output.  In my opinion the weakest link in the chain is the one link that is most often overlooked and that is the computer wether it be a laptop or desktop.  Most often I find folks complaining more about their laptops.   

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #767 of 1,409
While Phillip is revising the circuit board for his PurePower Battery supply (release delayed until late February), I ran a simple test to see just what difference USB power might have on sound quality. I was streaming directly from one of my  MacBook Pro USB ports. The other port is plugged into my small, self powered newertechnology 7 port USB hub. I moved my USB cable to the hub, which is powered by the little wall wart (rated at 3.5A), plugged into my isolation transformer. Sound quality was noticeably improved, particularly in the treble region, while the midrange seemed fuller. That bit of sibilance you noticed might benefit from an inexpensive self powered USB hub. Not that sibilance is all that bad in my system, I was pleasantly surprised by my lil' $27 USB hub. It'll have to do until Phillip puts the finishing touches on his battery power supply   

Makes me wonder what the battery supply's gonna do. 
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:

Remember this:

I think the usual response here would be:  +1 (or is it 2x?  2x might be a fish forum thing).

No, I don’t have hundreds of hours with it, more like a dozen or so since it arrived Tuesday evening.  I did get the benefit of one loved and used by someone else, so I don’t think burning in is an issue.  

Count this as initial impressions, perhaps even still in the infatuation stage of things.  

Before putting it to use I spent some time going through some of my test tracks as a refresher.  After connecting it (and belatedly remembering my desktop was now coax 2, rather than USB and being able to hear the music), I went through those same tracks.  It was indeed “startling”.  I was using the HD800s (yeah, yeah, I’ll LCD-2s a chance sooner or later).  The improvement in imaging, for me meaning where the instruments are in space in relationship to one another, was huge.  It was as though they suddenly snapped into place.  Much, closer to a sense of being live and in the audience, with damn good seats.  There may have been an increase in sound stage, but we’re talking HD800 and my perception of this may have been biased by the radical improvement in imaging.

Clarity and detail also took a sizeable jump.  “Deh! Tu di un umile preghiera” (Donizetti’s Stuarda if you’re wondering) opens with a brief passage for solo harp.  Each note was distinct.  In Dead Man’s Hand by Harpeth Rising, there’s a rapid aggressive fiddle passage.  In addition to hearing the attack, I swear I could tell she was bouncing the bow off the strings.  I wouldn’t have thought it really possible to notice any increase in the separation of instruments beyond what the Dac2 and HD800 already brought to the opening of the prelude to Das Rheingold.  In part because, well, it not supposed to be clear.  It’s all about subtle texture, and the gradual layering sound -- an E flat chord played and built slowly over 136 measures.  However it did and in a good way.  Entrances were easier to note, the ever so slight accents in the 2 sets of double basses that provide an ostinato rhythm are just enough more evident to add to the overall effect.  

The dynamics sound much better.  It’s like they opened up at the top and bottom and added gradations in between.  Might be something y’ll assume would happen in conjunction with the other improvements, but I wasn’t, and was really surprised and impressed.

Now that it’s too late, if you want it in a nutshell: I went back to listen to my laptop.  W4S usb to Dac2 usb in, everything else the same.  Tracks are the exact same ones, as in copies of one another.  It took about 10 seconds to go, “What!  Where’s my music?  What did I screw up this time in connecting things? I can NOT listen to this crap.”  I stopped the music and looked back over everything.  Nope, unless I’m missing something the difference lies between the 2 computers and what they’re feeding into the Dac2.  

Whether real or imagined, the differences have me in a grinning contest with the Cheshire Cat.  

To hop down off the infatuated fanboy wagon, I have noticed a bit more sibilance, and what I’d describe as an edge (not to be confused with harshness) to some of the treble.  This, I’m thinking is most likely the HD-800, but I'm not ready to take up the LCD-2s just quite yet. Over the weekend.  Probably.   

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #768 of 1,409

Quote:
While Phillip is revising the circuit board for his PurePower Battery supply (release delayed until late February), I ran a simple test to see just what difference USB power might have on sound quality. I was streaming directly from one of my  MacBook Pro USB ports. The other port is plugged into my small, self powered newertechnology 7 port USB hub. I moved my USB cable to the hub, which is powered by the little wall wart (rated at 3.5A), plugged into my isolation transformer. Sound quality was noticeably improved, particularly in the treble region, while the midrange seemed fuller. That bit of sibilance you noticed might benefit from an inexpensive self powered USB hub. Not that sibilance is all that bad in my system, I was pleasantly surprised by my lil' $27 USB hub. It'll have to do until Phillip puts the finishing touches on his battery power supply   

Makes me wonder what the battery supply's gonna do. 
tongue_smile.gif

Someone told me to move my USB connection to a powered external hub for better sound and I dismissed it.  I use an iMac.  Until now I've never seen anyone else discuss this as an improvement but now I'm wondering...

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #769 of 1,409
It's a simple experiment, and a very small investment. It's not night and day, but in that it "might" help it might be worth a try. (And who couldn't do with more USB ports?)    

EDIT: Remember, this is using the AP2 as transport, but do please let us all know if you notice a difference in your rig (sans the AP2)... 

Quote:
Someone told me to move my USB connection to a powered external hub for better sound and I dismissed it.  I use an iMac.  Until now I've never seen anyone else discuss this as an improvement but now I'm wondering...

Jan 29, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #770 of 1,409

In my opinion the weakest link in the chain is the one link that is most often overlooked and that is the computer 

I hadn't given that as much thought as I should have, and you're right.  My laptop and my computer aren't really comparable.  To be fair to my more maligned lappy, I also seldom listen to music through it.  Movies occasionally, but that's about it.  

That bit of sibilance you noticed might benefit from an inexpensive self powered USB hub. 

I'll give it a shot.  I don't need more usb ports but even though I don't swap things in an out much having more usb 2s readily accessible would be plus so a win either way. 

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #771 of 1,409

I asked Clint about running a subwoofer and active monitors from the DAC-2...and the answer is yes

"You can run the Y harness that you are considering. Running two components off of the DACs outputs will lower the load that the DAC sees by 1/2. You active monitors will be down to 14k which is no problem. The sub will work just fine, go for it! That should really get that system filled in nice."

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-splitter-female-15-24cm-cable/dp/B000GUSQJG
or  http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-adapter-male-female-assembly/dp/B0009MFRW0/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_2/185-6684148-0292502

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #773 of 1,409

My first rig. LCD 2 rev 2 -> vioelectric V200 balanced out-> cambridge DACmagic with audiphilleo2 usb converter on the way -> MBP. I am looking for an upgrade to a better balanced stand alone DAC. I have my sights set on the Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2 as it sounds like it meshes well with the v200 and lcd 2s. Any comments on this combination and synergy and any other DACs i should be considering +/- $500. Balanced is a must for me.

I have to give a big shout out to Warrior Ant and a couple others here on head-fi because being in Canada, it has been very difficult in my experience to audition different gear so I've had to go blind on some of these purchases. I basically followed the path of a couple people on this site who's description of equipment sounded similar to mine and replicated it (this strategy working out gloriously so far!). So if this set-up is looking like a copy of yours WA, it's because it is (don't worry, commission is on the way 
L3000.gif
)

Thanks again everyone.

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #775 of 1,409

Quote:
http://hometheaterreview.com/wyred-4-sound-dac-2-digital-to-analog-converter-reviewed/

Home Theater Review of the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2   

Nice review. This DAC has been getting rave reviews, I might just have to try it out!

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #776 of 1,409

Quote:
http://hometheaterreview.com/wyred-4-sound-dac-2-digital-to-analog-converter-reviewed/

Great, thanks for the link.

Funny on a few points:

1.) I used to own the DACMagic and I could understand how the DAC-2 comes off slightly warm next to that DAC as I found it moderately bright. Based on that comment, I would put the DAC-2 at neutral.
2.) I love the reference to Barenaked Ladies. I used to go to Scarborough Music Camp with these guys way back in the day. Great guys and musicians.

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #777 of 1,409
I know most everyone has probably read these reviews but I'll post them all together just to get thread going again.

http://www.stereotimes.com/CD101410.shtml

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue51/wyred_dac2.htm

http://digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/audio-reviews/digital-source-reviews/item/157-wyred-4-sound-dac-2

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/wyred4/dac.html

I probably missed a few...

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #780 of 1,409

Quote:

This review is spot on.  The $1,499 price is money well spent on the DAC-2.  Zero regrets.  I imagine this DAC is going to take a significant portion of business from The Benchmarks of this world and also the guy(s) building in their basements who can't - a.) meet even low/moderate demand and b.) refresh a product in a reasonable time frame.  Why screw around with amateurs?  

W4S is pro / reference every step of the way from pre-sales questions, to purchase through to enriching listen after listen.  Plus I seldom see post-purchase service and q's handled with such professionalism and dedication.  I'm thinking of ways to give these guys more of my money.  Perhaps the music server?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back