Does anyone own the Wyred4sound DAC 2?
Dec 23, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #616 of 1,409
I'm really very pleased so far with my DAC-2.  Anyone kicking around this purchase should not hesitate.  The DAC-2 sounds superb out of the box.  I'm really taken with both the amount and the quality of bass.  Sure there has been lots of talk about how detailed this DAC is and how the high end is very nice, and all of that is true.  But the bass is equally detailed.  I can easily make out articulation and notes even into very deep registers.  Bravo W4S!  I'm also not getting any of the strident high end before break in.  So far I have about 25 hrs. or so on the DAC-2.  It probably helps that I'm matching this to an excellent tube amp.  Synergy galore.  To add a sweet cherry on top, it was made in the USA, adding another great example of why moving manufacturing abroad is not necessary.  This purchase inspires me to continue seeking out companies like W4S to spend my money.  To a prosperous 2012 with many more great products, W4S!
beerchug.gif

Dec 23, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #617 of 1,409

Quote:
I'm really very pleased so far with my DAC-2.  Anyone kicking around this purchase should not hesitate.  The DAC-2 sounds superb out of the box.  I'm really taken with both the amount and the quality of bass.  Sure there has been lots of talk about how detailed this DAC is and how the high end is very nice, and all of that is true.  But the bass is equally detailed.  I can easily make out articulation and notes even into very deep registers.  Bravo W4S!  I'm also not getting any of the strident high end before break in.  So far I have about 25 hrs. or so on the DAC-2.  It probably helps that I'm matching this to an excellent tube amp.  Synergy galore.  To add a sweet cherry on top, it was made in the USA, adding another great example of why moving manufacturing abroad is not necessary.  This purchase inspires me to continue seeking out companies like W4S to spend my money.  To a prosperous 2012 with many more great products, W4S!
beerchug.gif

I've been using the DAC-2 all week for the digital volume control into an amp for speaker listening and I have not been able to go back to headphones all week. It is an excellent digital volume/pre amp.  I'm now thinking of putting together a small speaker rig using the W4S SX 250 mono blocks or the W4S ST 250 stereo amp, and the DAC-2 as the digital preamp.   I also like the fact that it is made close to home for me.

Dec 23, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #618 of 1,409
Speaking of Made in the USA:  I have a W4S, Cavalli Liquid Fire, LCD2.2 all made in the USA.  I wouldn't have believed this possible 10 years ago!

Quote:
beerchug.gif

Dec 24, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #619 of 1,409
Started using the Signal Cable Silver Resolution interconnects with the DAC-2 and Lyr.  Not bright by any means and no more sibilant than my WireWorld Equinox 6.  If anything the Signal Cable sounds as good without burn-in as my burned in Equinox 6.  More to come after a week or so but just wanted to say this was my first experience with a silver cable and I can't detect any major differences between it and my copper ICs.  I want to say there is a hint of more clarity and sparkle in the upper frequency over my copper ICs but that's still stretching.  We'll see how these cables evolve over time and how they sound in either a tube and SS amp.     

What I was expecting based on reviews of other silver cables, albeit headphone cables which could be a different animal:  long burn-in, brighter presentation, less bass impact.  However, not finding that yet.  Signal Cables makes some good stuff at reasonable prices.  I may get a longer pair of their silver or copper cables for my Swans.  Pretty satisfied thus far.

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #620 of 1,409
I'm thinking of upgrading the ICs between my DAC-2 and Swan active speakers.  I sold all of my vintage gear and with it all of my longer Blue Jeans ICs.  Most of my higher end ICs to date have been short because they just needed to go from the DAC-2 to headphone amps right next to my DAC-2.  Plus they get expensive with length.  For my speakers, I'll have them on a bookshelf as it may not be a good idea to have the DAC-2 and speakers on same platform.  Maybe vibrations are not deal killer so I shouldn't worry.

How about this poor man's set-up.  A RCA connector that will allow me to hook up the WireWorld Equinox 6 to the Signal Cable silver ICs.  The alternatives are buy a longer IC or put the Lyr on top of the DAC-2 so it act as a pre-amp and the little bit of height I get out of this allows me to reach the Swans.  What would McGyver do?

Dec 26, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #621 of 1,409
My own experience with the Signal Cable Silver Resolution, including the ETI Silver Bullet RCAs, were veiled, opaque compared with my Cardas Golden Reference, Harmonic Technology Magic Link II, or the Downsize UR1 IC's. No manner of burn-in seemed to help. 

Quote:
Started using the Signal Cable Silver Resolution interconnects with the DAC-2 and Lyr.  Not bright by any means and no more sibilant than my WireWorld Equinox 6.  If anything the Signal Cable sounds as good without burn-in as my burned in Equinox 6.  More to come after a week or so but just wanted to say this was my first experience with a silver cable and I can't detect any major differences between it and my copper ICs.  I want to say there is a hint of more clarity and sparkle in the upper frequency over my copper ICs but that's still stretching.  We'll see how these cables evolve over time and how they sound in either a tube and SS amp.     

What I was expecting based on reviews of other silver cables, albeit headphone cables which could be a different animal:  long burn-in, brighter presentation, less bass impact.  However, not finding that yet.  Signal Cables makes some good stuff at reasonable prices.  I may get a longer pair of their silver or copper cables for my Swans.  Pretty satisfied thus far.

Dec 26, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #622 of 1,409
Hello Rdr. Seraphim, I tried the Signal Cable with the Violectric V200 and there is a small amount of veil that will require some burn-in to possibly open them up a bit.  Even over the weekend they are sounding a tad better with time.  However, with the Schiit Lyr, the amp seemed to be able to push through any veil and the resulting sound was transparent with dynamics.  

However, keep in mind my previous cable experience includes Blue Jeans Cables and WireWorld Equinox 6, ranging in price from $20-140.  The cables you listed are 4-10X the price of the Signal Cable.  In fact the Signal Cable Silver Resolution with the silver bullets are my most expensive ICs to date.  While price does not always equate to performance, I suspect that whatever I call an amazing cable is not going to cut it in your rigs.  Kind of like a Dodge Challenger competing with a Ferrari.    Would like to hear the impact the Cardas Golden Reference would make in my system but that's likely not going to happen any time soon.

Quote:
My own experience with the Signal Cable Silver Resolution, including the ETI Silver Bullet RCAs, were veiled, opaque compared with my Cardas Golden Reference, Harmonic Technology Magic Link II, or the Downsize UR1 IC's. No manner of burn-in seemed to help. 

Dec 26, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #623 of 1,409

W,

What's the amp floating on there?
Quote:
I'm thinking of upgrading the ICs between my DAC-2 and Swan active speakers.  I sold all of my vintage gear and with it all of my longer Blue Jeans ICs.  Most of my higher end ICs to date have been short because they just needed to go from the DAC-2 to headphone amps right next to my DAC-2.  Plus they get expensive with length.  For my speakers, I'll have them on a bookshelf as it may not be a good idea to have the DAC-2 and speakers on same platform.  Maybe vibrations are not deal killer so I shouldn't worry.

How about this poor man's set-up.  A RCA connector that will allow me to hook up the WireWorld Equinox 6 to the Signal Cable silver ICs.  The alternatives are buy a longer IC or put the Lyr on top of the DAC-2 so it act as a pre-amp and the little bit of height I get out of this allows me to reach the Swans.  What would McGyver do?

Dec 26, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #624 of 1,409
Herbie's frosted clear iso-cup with supersonic hardball 
http://herbiesaudiolab.net/special.htm
http://herbiesaudiolab.net/compfeet.htm#isocup1

I went with 3 cups/balls so you can't see the two at the back.  I will probably add a fourth to the mix.  Not sure if it actually is doing anything better than regular rubber feet but makes this $450 amp look like a million bucks 
biggrin.gif
.  The feet that come with the Lyr are just 4 small rubber dots that create very little distance between the bottom of the Lyr and the surface.  The combination of the iso-cups and socket savers keep the Lyr luke warm to the touch. 

Quote:
W,

What's the amp floating on there?

Dec 26, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #627 of 1,409
What would McGyver do?
Principles to live by even in this crazy world of audiophilia.  
Actually, no penalty to sound.  Also confirms how I think the Signal Cable is very similar to that of the WireWorld Equinox 6.  
Watch out, if there is a XLR to RCA adapter I can hook up in tandem my Equinox 6 XLR to Equinox 6 RCA ICs.  
This is ART! 

Quote:

Dec 26, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #628 of 1,409
Does anyone here have experience or knowledge about the i2s interface on the dac2?  I'm wondering what kind of improvements could be expected vs using USB or coax inputs.  Why would I go with the W4S music server connected through i2s vs some other digital player (SB touch, Mac mini, etc).   

Dec 27, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #629 of 1,409
I was hopeful having read so many reviews about Signal Cable, and had to spring for them. Borrowing a phrase from C.S. Lewis' Narnia series, they encouraged me "onward and upward!"

Quote:
Hello Rdr. Seraphim, I tried the Signal Cable with the Violectric V200 and there is a small amount of veil that will require some burn-in to possibly open them up a bit.  Even over the weekend they are sounding a tad better with time.  However, with the Schiit Lyr, the amp seemed to be able to push through any veil and the resulting sound was transparent with dynamics.  

However, keep in mind my previous cable experience includes Blue Jeans Cables and WireWorld Equinox 6, ranging in price from $20-140.  The cables you listed are 4-10X the price of the Signal Cable.  In fact the Signal Cable Silver Resolution with the silver bullets are my most expensive ICs to date.  While price does not always equate to performance, I suspect that whatever I call an amazing cable is not going to cut it in your rigs.  Kind of like a Dodge Challenger competing with a Ferrari.    Would like to hear the impact the Cardas Golden Reference would make in my system but that's likely not going to happen any time soon.

Dec 27, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #630 of 1,409

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Would like to hear the impact the Cardas Golden Reference would make in my system but that's likely not going to happen any time soon.

I'm afraid to hear the Cardas Golden Reference interconnects.  In my last speaker rig I had a Tri-Wire Cardas Golden Reference harness.   I wired the woofer, midrange and tweeter separately with the Tri-Wire harness Cardas made for me. It was a beautifully sounding cable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back