Does anyone own the Wyred4sound DAC 2?
Dec 12, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #557 of 1,409

Quote:
Dang spell check.  I mean't settle the issue about the overheating.  

Ah, I was confused because I have 3 ruptured discs in my spine and I actualy cannot sit, stand, or lie flat in one of those positions for very long.  I don't have any problems with anything overheating in terms of the gear itself. The problem I have is that I live in the sonoran desert and in the summer it can go as high as 115-120 outside and when I buy a piece of gear I have to always be concerned about the heat it puts out.  None of the headphone gear I own creates any substatial heat but the Krell KSA 150 amp I owned ran in class A and that thing could put out some intense heat, so when I moved to the desert I could never use it during the summer months.  The thing ran so hot you could not really touch the fins.  Look at the heat fins on that thing!

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #558 of 1,409
Oh wow.  I'm sorry to hear about the disks in your back.  I had no clue.  It must be quite uncomfortable.  
Ya those heat fins look scary to even touch!  So you never had any problems with the DAC-2 sitting off the iMac?  It was the extra heat of the environment plus the heat given off of the amps.  Dang... thats intense.  Ya I asked you about the DAC-2 because I'm considering getting the LCD-3 but I like the say the MK2 star have been described too.  Can the DAC-2 be used by anything other than an electrostatic amp?  Sorry to derail the thread.  You can PM me if thats better.  

Quote:
Ah, I was confused because I have 3 ruptured discs in my spine and I actualy cannot sit, stand, or lie flat in one of those positions for very long.  I don't have any problems with anything overheating in terms of the gear itself. The problem I have is that I live in the sonoran desert and in the summer it can go as high as 115-120 outside and when I buy a piece of gear I have to always be concerned about the heat it puts out.  None of the headphone gear I own creates any substatial heat but the Krell KSA 150 amp I owned ran in class A and that thing could put out some intense heat, so when I moved to the desert I could never use it during the summer months.  The thing ran so hot you could not really touch the fins.  Look at the heat fins on that thing!

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #559 of 1,409

Quote:
Oh wow.  I'm sorry to hear about the disks in your back.  I had no clue.  It must be quite uncomfortable.  
Ya those heat fins look scary to even touch!  So you never had any problems with the DAC-2 sitting off the iMac?  It was the extra heat of the environment plus the heat given off of the amps.  Dang... thats intense.  Ya I asked you about the DAC-2 because I'm considering getting the LCD-3 but I like the say the MK2 star have been described too.  Can the DAC-2 be used by anything other than an electrostatic amp?  Sorry to derail the thread.  You can PM me if thats better.  

Excruciating is the term most people use but I'm used to it now. Sort of.

I've never had a problem with the W4S DAC-2 in and regard and it runs very cool, never feel any heat from it.      

Not sure what you mean by "Can the DAC-2 be used by anything other than an electrostatic amp?"     The Wyred 4 sound DAC-2 is an outboard Digital to Analog converter.  It is stand alone.   Send it a digital stream from any source and then its excellent analog section will send out the converted analog signal to any amplifier you choose via RCA outs or balanced XLR's out.    Is that what you mean?     

My 24' iMac can put out some heat though.  It is by far the largest heat radiator in the room. But it draws air from the bottom vent and sends it out through the top vent so there is never any heat radiating near any nearby equipment.

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #560 of 1,409
Oh I'm so sorry.  I'm burnt out from work and finals and I'm not making much sense.  I'll reread what I say.  I was asking if the DAC-2 would be able or any amp run a Stax earspeaker.  I don't understand the technical side of the differences but I figure I'd ask.  I am really concidering the DAC-2 but I like the MK2 stax earspeaker also.  I'm just courious if there is a way to put the two together.

Quote:
Excruciating is the term most people use but I'm used to it now. Sort of.

I've never had a problem with the W4S DAC-2 in and regard and it runs very cool, never feel any heat from it.      

Not sure what you mean by "Can the DAC-2 be used by anything other than an electrostatic amp?"     The Wyred 4 sound DAC-2 is an outboard Digital to Analog converter.  It is stand alone.   Send it a digital stream from any source and then its excellent analog section will send out the converted analog signal to any amplifier you choose via RCA outs or balanced XLR's out.    Is that what you mean?     

My 24' iMac can put out some heat though.  It is by far the largest heat radiator in the room. But it draws air from the bottom vent and sends it out through the top vent so there is never any heat radiating near any nearby equipment.

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #561 of 1,409
Hey everybody, after a few hours of searching for a strong DAC (that will likely be paired w/ a Zana Deux SE), I have a few questions about this amp:

So those are two pairs of RCA outputs? That would be perfect for connecting to an amp, and then some A2 speakers.

And do the 24/192 drivers work flawlessly with foobar2000?

Many thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #562 of 1,409

Quote:
Hey everybody, after a few hours of searching for a strong DAC (that will likely be paired w/ a Zana Deux SE), I have a few questions about this amp:

So those are two pairs of RCA outputs? That would be perfect for connecting to an amp, and then some A2 speakers.

And do the 24/192 drivers work flawlessly with foobar2000?

Many thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

The DAC-2  has one set of RCA outs and one set of XLR outs.  the second set of RCA's  are  for HT bypass in only and are not for output.

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #564 of 1,409
Thanks WarriorAnt and WNBC for the quick replies. That's a deal breaker for me, so I guess the search continues.

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #566 of 1,409

Quote:
If you need additional input capacity you could always use a passive switch box like the LR-1 from Mapletree Audio http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/prices.htm

Seconded. I have the Mapletree line router with 4 inputs and 2 outputs. With so many sources and amps all over the room, I'm not sure how I'd manage without it.

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #567 of 1,409
Oh man, I remember looking at the LR-1 for something else years ago.

I guess I could dedicate the current Pico DAC to the speakers only, but having to keep manually switching foobar outputs will wear on me. The things we do for ease of use these days, huh.
tongue.gif

Quote:
If you need additional input capacity you could always use a passive switch box like the LR-1 from Mapletree Audio http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/prices.htm

Quote:

Dec 14, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #569 of 1,409
Well now I have something new to think about. I don't want to derail this thread any further, so I'll thank you all again and skedaddle out.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back