Does anyone own the Wyred4sound DAC 2?
Jul 27, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #166 of 1,409
this thread has kind of been dead, but I have to ask:

Has anyone with a DAC-2 also heard a balanced Buffalo32 DAC? I was dead set on building another Buffalo after giving mine away but this has me intrigued. I am curious about the other ESS chips it has like the ESS Time Domain Jitter Eliminator.

I am going to use USB so with this I can do straight USB, or I can use coax from a Buffalo32 and run it to an m2tech.

Jul 27, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #167 of 1,409

Quote:
this thread has kind of been dead, but I have to ask:

Has anyone with a DAC-2 also heard a balanced Buffalo32 DAC? I was dead set on building another Buffalo after giving mine away but this has me intrigued. I am curious about the other ESS chips it has like the ESS Time Domain Jitter Eliminator.

I am going to use USB so with this I can do straight USB, or I can use coax from a Buffalo32 and run it to an m2tech.

The W4S DAC is spooky good over USB when you install their driver which slaves the computer to the DAC.

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #169 of 1,409

Quote:
OK W4S DAC-2 owners.   I''m looking to upgrade my USB cable from my Mac to my  W4S DAC-2.   I still haven't decided what to buy.  

What is everyone using?  Any suggestions? 

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=17931

I wouldn't spend any more, no difference whatsoever with my Kimber USB cable. The Belkin is very well built with gold contacts.
smile.gif

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #170 of 1,409

Quote:
http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=17931

I wouldn't spend any more, no difference whatsoever with my Kimber USB cable. The Belkin is very well built with gold contacts.
smile.gif

Last night I was wondering if a better cable from an external HD to the Mac might make a difference also over the one that comes with the drive when you buy it. I use one Firewire drive and two USB drives to hold my music.

What Kimber cable are you using?

What about power cords?  Anyone using any special power cords for their DAC-2?

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #171 of 1,409
I'm just quoting something I read on Computer Audiophile... hopefully someone with a more in-depth understanding of the usb protocol can elaborate, but --

"Remember using these expensive cables on a hard drive is worthless.They are in Block mode, not Streaming and will not be effected by the use of costly cables."

That being said, has anyone purchased the W4S usb cable for use with the DAC-2? Does it actually make a difference? I'm seriously contemplating a DAC-2 purchase, but I have such a hard time buying into 'high-end' usb cables, and don't really want to waste $250 just to find out there's no difference.

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #172 of 1,409
Well, I don't know if upgraded cables and power cords will make a difference, but I can say the DAC-2 is a fantastic DAC.  Worry about the upgraded cables down the road.  If somebody wants to do serious A/B'ing and let us know whether the W4S cables make a difference that would be great.

Quote:
That being said, has anyone purchased the W4S usb cable for use with the DAC-2? Does it actually make a difference? I'm seriously contemplating a DAC-2 purchase, but I have such a hard time buying into 'high-end' usb cables, and don't really want to waste $250 just to find out there's no difference.

Aug 16, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #173 of 1,409
My wallet and I officially despise all of you!!

I just caved and ordered a DAC-2 in black...

If I can hear an appreciable difference from my Buffalo32, I will be more than happy.

Aug 16, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #174 of 1,409

Quote:

If I can hear an appreciable difference from my Buffalo32, I will be more than happy.

You purchased an excellent DAC.   I think it is a cut above all the rest of the dacs for sure and now you will have an excellent front end.  Whatever anyone might tell you the front end is very very important.  Anyone who says that it is not is jealous of your DAC!   The DAC-2 is the one thing that won't ever get changed out in my rig. It is half the price of my last THETA DAC and 10X better.   It needs an extensive amount of burn in time but will sound pretty good right out of the box.  I haven't heard the Buffalo DAC but I can understand that people might think about the 2 of them because the chip is the same but there is more to a DAC than just the chip.  You have the way the designer implements the chip. The buffer, all kinds of stuff going on. Plus the DAC-2 has an excellent analog output stage, Something that just can't be underestimated.      

I'm hoping to do a comparison review of the USB cable that comes withe the DAC-2, the Wireworld Starlight USB cable and the new W4S USB cable.  Torturous and that may sound I'm really interested in putting this question to the test.  Some say the cable with a DAC-2 will not make a difference and some have used aftermarket cables with the DAC-2 and felt they heard no difference while others have.  Same old road!  But in theory (and I really hate to use that term or theory in place of my ears) a cable change with the DAC-2 might not be as important as with other DAC's because of the way the DAC-2 accepts the data into a buffer and then works all its magic to straighten out all those misbehaved or digitally abused 1's and 0's.   

I'm interested in the PCOCC copper W4S uses in their USB cable and I'm also curios to ask them if it is necessary for the USB cable to have a power carrying capability like traditional USB cables since I am not sure if the DAC-2 needs a cable with that traditional function.  So I will be calling them later today.    

I'm also interested in their power chords. 

Aug 16, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #175 of 1,409

Quote:
You purchased an excellent DAC.   I think it is a cut above all the rest of the dacs for sure and now you will have an excellent front end.  Whatever anyone might tell you the front end is very very important.  Anyone who says that it is not is jealous of your DAC!   The DAC-2 is the one thing that won't ever get changed out in my rig. It is half the price of my last THETA DAC and 10X better.   It needs an extensive amount of burn in time but will sound pretty good right out of the box.  I haven't heard the Buffalo DAC but I can understand that people might think about the 2 of them because the chip is the same but there is more to a DAC than just the chip.  You have the way the designer implements the chip. The buffer, all kinds of stuff going on. Plus the DAC-2 has an excellent analog output stage, Something that just can't be underestimated.      

I'm hoping to do a comparison review of the USB cable that comes withe the DAC-2, the Wireworld Starlight USB cable and the new W4S USB cable.  Torturous and that may sound I'm really interested in putting this question to the test.  Some say the cable with a DAC-2 will not make a difference and some have used aftermarket cables with the DAC-2 and felt they heard no difference while others have.  Same old road!  But in theory (and I really hate to use that term or theory in place of my ears) a cable change with the DAC-2 might not be as important as with other DAC's because of the way the DAC-2 accepts the data into a buffer and then works all its magic to straighten out all those misbehaved or digitally abused 1's and 0's.   

I'm interested in the PCOCC copper W4S uses in their USB cable and I'm also curios to ask them if it is necessary for the USB cable to have a power carrying capability like traditional USB cables since I am not sure if the DAC-2 needs a cable with that traditional function.  So I will be calling them later today.    

I'm also interested in their power chords. 

WA I'd be very interested in your cable differences write up, even if it's just a sentence for each cable.  Doesn't have to be fancy, just does cable make a difference, and if it does, which is better.

Aug 16, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #176 of 1,409

Quote:
WA I'd be very interested in your cable differences write up, even if it's just a sentence for each cable.  Doesn't have to be fancy, just does cable make a difference, and if it does, which is better.

I know what you mean Mike.   But if I do find that a cable makes a difference (and I'm in the group that it probably won't but I'm open) then I feel that I have to give some detailed account.  One, so that a quick statement doesn't open me up to controversy, and two because I did all the work to find out!   So I'll PM you with a quick thought if I do find any differences.  But the way I am I probably won't be able to keep the PM to a few sentences either.

I didn't think I'd find any real difference in sound using the Q Audio headphone cables with the LCD's but I did and was amazed that it made such a difference for me  After 3 days I had taken 14 pages of notes and I felt compelled to detail them in a review, tedious as that review may be for the poor soul who tries to read it. 
biggrin.gif

Maybe I'll get lucky and I won't hear any difference with a designer USB cable.   It was the improvement in sound the Q cable made that has led me to this crazy wonderment about USB cables.

Aug 16, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #177 of 1,409

Quote:
I know what you mean Mike.   But if I do find that a cable makes a difference (and I'm in the group that it probably won't but I'm open) then I feel that I have to give some detailed account.  One, so that a quick statement doesn't open me up to controversy, and two because I did all the work to find out!   So I'll PM you with a quick thought if I do find any differences.  But the way I am I probably won't be able to keep the PM to a few sentences either.

I didn't think I'd find any real difference in sound using the Q Audio headphone cables with the LCD's but I did and was amazed that it made such a difference for me  After 3 days I had taken 14 pages of notes and I felt compelled to detail them in a review, tedious as that review may be for the poor soul who tries to read it. 
biggrin.gif

Maybe I'll get lucky and I won't hear any difference with a designer USB cable.   It was the improvement in sound the Q cable made that has led me to this crazy wonderment about USB cables.

WA, PM me with as much as you want.  I was only talking length so that would not get in the way of presenting your experience.  So write away.  I'd like to know if you find any differences.

Thanks.

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #178 of 1,409

Quote:

Congrats! I'm a big fan of the DAC-2. Please let us know what you think and how it compares to your Buffalo32.

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #179 of 1,409
Thanks guys! I'm really looking forward to receiving it, and getting it properly burned in. According to the tracking data, it should arrive sometime on Monday. I'm regretting slightly not paying for 3 day shipping...

This will only be my second high-end DAC, so I am curious to see how a production piece compares to a DIY design (TPA B32).

I was wondering the same thing about the presence or absence of a power leg on the W4S usb cable. An isolated/shielded or omitted power leg is, in my opinion, the only thing that makes sense as to why different usb cables could potentially sound different. That being said, I'm very interested to see what conclusions you draw, WA.

I noticed that nspindel has the exact set-up I've been dying to try DAC-2 > Eddie Current Balancing Act with KR-PX4s > LCD-2. I almost ordered one, but I couldn't bring myself to spend $4,600 on a hunch that it would be what I'm looking for. In the meantime, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a local meet-up.

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #180 of 1,409
I did next day shipping because I knew I would have kicked myself knowing it was sitting in the FEDEX facility over the weekend.  
biggrin.gif

West Coast to West Coast shipping is cheaper so not always a good idea to next day esp. when you're in NY.  

Quote:
Thanks guys! I'm really looking forward to receiving it, and getting it properly burned in. According to the tracking data, it should arrive sometime on Monday. I'm regretting slightly not paying for 3 day shipping...

This will only be my second high-end DAC, so I am curious to see how a production piece compares to a DIY design (TPA B32).

I was wondering the same thing about the presence or absence of a power leg on the W4S usb cable. An isolated/shielded or omitted power leg is, in my opinion, the only thing that makes sense as to why different usb cables could potentially sound different. That being said, I'm very interested to see what conclusions you draw, WA.

I noticed that nspindel has the exact set-up I've been dying to try DAC-2 > Eddie Current Balancing Act with KR-PX4s > LCD-2. I almost ordered one, but I couldn't bring myself to spend $4,600 on a hunch that it would be what I'm looking for. In the meantime, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a local meet-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back