Does anyone own the Wyred4sound DAC 2?
Jun 30, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #122 of 1,409
Just ordered the DAC today in black.

Jun 30, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #123 of 1,409
Nice.  Hope you like it Mike.  I love my DAC2.  To me, Rick Cullen seems to have a great ear.

Quote:

Jun 30, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #124 of 1,409

Quote:

Mike did you also get the DAC-2?   I'm loving mine.  It really needs a lot of burn in but sounds great out of the box also. It's just that the subtleties really shine after a long burn it period.  So far I'm finding it to be an excellent match with the V200 and LCD combo.   Probably after the summer is over and the desert heat is gone (it's 115 here now) I'll also add the WOO WA6E to the mix so I can have one solid state and one tube amp.  

Are you going to use the balanced outs on the DAC-2 to go into the WA22?      In my rig I'm finding the rig is very revealing of cable changes.  

Mike I noticed in your WOO thread you're going to fight it out between the DAC-2 and the Bryston DAC.   Just make sure you burn in that DAC-2 for at least 200 hours to give it a chance.  Can't wait to see what you think between the two.

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #127 of 1,409

Quote:
Nice.  Hope you like it Mike.  I love my DAC2.  To me, Rick Cullen seems to have a great ear.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  I'm trying out the Bryston DAC at the same time.

Quote:
Mike did you also get the DAC-2?   I'm loving mine.  It really needs a lot of burn in but sounds great out of the box also. It's just that the subtleties really shine after a long burn it period.  So far I'm finding it to be an excellent match with the V200 and LCD combo.   Probably after the summer is over and the desert heat is gone (it's 115 here now) I'll also add the WOO WA6E to the mix so I can have one solid state and one tube amp.  

Are you going to use the balanced outs on the DAC-2 to go into the WA22?      In my rig I'm finding the rig is very revealing of cable changes.  

Yes I got the DAC-2.  Clint at W4S told me it needs at least 400 hours to fully breakin with it sounding very good at 200 hours.

I'm using balanced outs and a balanced source too.  I'm feeding it with the BDP-1.

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #129 of 1,409

Quote:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  I'm trying out the Bryston DAC at the same time.

Yes I got the DAC-2.  Clint at W4S told me it needs at least 400 hours to fully breakin with it sounding very good at 200 hours.

I'm using balanced outs and a balanced source too.  I'm feeding it with the BDP-1.

I think Clint is correct about the burn in time.   I wasn't aware that Clint was stating that long a burn in but in my opinion it is true.  I didn't want to mention it because it sounds insane and wasn't sure if anyone would believe me. How will you burn it in with a solid state unit?

Jul 1, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #130 of 1,409
I am thinking about getting this DAC for my iMac rig. However, I have read in some reviews/forums that the Wyred4Sound DAC sometimes does crash the Mac OS.

Does anyone have this problem or have they updated the driver or firmware so that it does not crash anymore? I cannot afford to have the DAC crashing the computer as I would be listening to music while working on it.

Thanks very much all!

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #131 of 1,409

Quote:
I am thinking about getting this DAC for my iMac rig. However, I have read in some reviews/forums that the Wyred4Sound DAC sometimes does crash the Mac OS.

Does anyone have this problem or have they updated the driver or firmware so that it does not crash anymore? I cannot afford to have the DAC crashing the computer as I would be listening to music while working on it.

Thanks very much all!

I was having a problem but I straightened it out with the help of W4S.  I was using iTunes and as soon as iTune appeared after opening it I would click on it right away and the DAC-2 would sometimes crash.  The solution was to wait another 15 seconds or so (I wait 30) because even though iTunes appears to be ready to go as soon as it show up it seems to still be loading some application code behind the scenes.  Every since I've waited the extra 15 to 30 seconds my mac has not crashed.  

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #133 of 1,409
Welcome to the team!  I think you'll enjoy your DAC-2

Quote:
Well, I just ordered my DAC-2.
biggrin.gif

Should be here early next week.

Now to sell my Cary Xciter DAC.

Jul 8, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #134 of 1,409
Welcome to the team!  I think you'll enjoy your DAC-2

I was exceedingly happy with my Cary Xciter, but I needed balanced outputs to feed my new WA22....so here we are....again. :blink:

If anyone is interested in one heck of a great DAC (with asyncronous USB and re-clocking the time domain) along with SPDIF/Toslink) that sounds incredibly revealing and neutral, but yet very musical at a great price (much less than the list $1499), shoot me a PM.

Jul 8, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #135 of 1,409
I have had my DAC2 for a long time now, I got it shortly after it came out.  It has never crashed my MacPro, despite trying all sorts of music player programs with it, back and forth.  Currently sticking with Pure Music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back