Does a vintage receiver cut it as a headphone amplifier?
Nov 17, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #31 of 37

Might I suggest you try upgrading the fuse in the Yamaha. I upgraded the fuses in my concept 16.5 and I found that the soundstage of my 16.5 improved considerably . I suggest you try a isoclean fuse which is the fuse I used for my concept receiver. Actually the fuse improves everything and not just the soundstage. The change upgrading fuses can be similar to what you get from a power cord upgrade but of course it is much cheaper than a lot of the high end power cords.

Hi
Thx for this. I am skeptical though. I have a real problem now with power. When I power on my PC into the same power grid in the room I get high pitched modulated electrical noise in all audio equipment connected nearby, it's like hearing hdd working in all speakers and headphones. The problem disappears if I connect the PC to a battery (except for equipment that is somehow still connected to PC by audio cables), so the noise must go somehow through the power grid from my PC. Now will the most expensive power cable condition the electrical power to eliminate this noise? We both know the answer is no. Why would I believe then that it "conditions" the normal non-problematic power to make equipment sound better? I don't believe in cables affecting sound quality unless they are shoddy cables. Why is it always with audio? Why won't I get a better picture on my tv using such a cable and fuse? Why only cables? There is air between our ears and speakers, why not condition it with special gas like helium or something to make the sound waves more audiophile? If I posted an ad on a forum that I sell such a gas in compressed bottles, do you think I would get queries about the price? I guess I would. Hearing is illusive, I bet sometimes someone calls you and you recognize them by their voice as someone else, does it happen to you that someone visits you and you think they are someone else by looking at them? :)  But I started entire different topic.
BTW You seem to know about monster receivers. Do you have an opinion about Hitachi late 1970s series sr-903/sr-904, sr-2004, they are G class.
Best Regards
Andy

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #32 of 37

Might I suggest you try upgrading the fuse in the Yamaha. I upgraded the fuses in my concept 16.5 and I found that the soundstage of my 16.5 improved considerably . I suggest you try a isoclean fuse which is the fuse I used for my concept receiver. Actually the fuse improves everything and not just the soundstage. The change upgrading fuses can be similar to what you get from a power cord upgrade but of course it is much cheaper than a lot of the high end power cords.

Fantastic advice! I am in the process of cleaning my Pioneer and while the fuse looks perfectly fine, it is easy enough to change. I have cleaned off all the major components and pots by hand with alcohol but I still have a slight hiss. My next step was getting some proper electrical cleaner (AKA head-cleaner) and spray the whole board. I wonder if a fuse swap might clear things up?

beerchug.gif

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #33 of 37

Fantastic advice! I am in the process of cleaning my Pioneer and while the fuse looks perfectly fine, it is easy enough to change. I have cleaned off all the major components and pots by hand with alcohol but I still have a slight hiss. My next step was getting some proper electrical cleaner (AKA head-cleaner) and spray the whole board. I wonder if a fuse swap might clear things up?

beerchug.gif

Guys, I'm not an expert but when you open a vintage receiver there are a few more fuses inside as well.

Nov 23, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #34 of 37

Hi
Thx for this. I am skeptical though. I have a real problem now with power. When I power on my PC into the same power grid in the room I get high pitched modulated electrical noise in all audio equipment connected nearby, it's like hearing hdd working in all speakers and headphones. The problem disappears if I connect the PC to a battery (except for equipment that is somehow still connected to PC by audio cables), so the noise must go somehow through the power grid from my PC. Now will the most expensive power cable condition the electrical power to eliminate this noise? We both know the answer is no. Why would I believe then that it "conditions" the normal non-problematic power to make equipment sound better? I don't believe in cables affecting sound quality unless they are shoddy cables. Why is it always with audio? Why won't I get a better picture on my tv using such a cable and fuse? Why only cables? There is air between our ears and speakers, why not condition it with special gas like helium or something to make the sound waves more audiophile? If I posted an ad on a forum that I sell such a gas in compressed bottles, do you think I would get queries about the price? I guess I would. Hearing is illusive, I bet sometimes someone calls you and you recognize them by their voice as someone else, does it happen to you that someone visits you and you think they are someone else by looking at them? :)  But I started entire different topic.
BTW You seem to know about monster receivers. Do you have an opinion about Hitachi late 1970s series sr-903/sr-904, sr-2004, they are G class.
Best Regards
Andy

Type in best sounding vintage receivers on the internet and go the title My Favorite Receivers: The Greatest Stereo Receivers  and they have some information about the sr 2004 Hitachi receiver. To check out more go to classic receivers on the internet they have a fair amount of these monsters there.

Nov 23, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #35 of 37

Guys, I'm not an expert but when you open a vintage receiver there are a few more fuses inside as well.

It is possible that there are additional fuses but I just changed the two that were accessable from the rear panel on my receiver. The change in sound quality was very noticeable after I upgraded the two rear panel fuses on my receiver. The isoclean fuses I recommended run around 50 dollars each . So the price can get up there if there are a lot of fuses. But for the hundred dollars I spent the change in sound quality that I got was a bargain. As you know some of the power cables out there are outrageously and shamelessly overpriced. I have to question the pricing on power cables when they cost over a thousand dollars for a power cable come on no way they should cost that much.

Nov 23, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #36 of 37

beerchug.gif

I do not think a fuse would clean hisses up. But I have found that upgrading the fuse generally lowers the noise floor on everything and makes things much quieter. The change is similar as I had mentioned before to a better power cord. The improvement in the sound quality of my receiver was very noticeable.

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #37 of 37

beerchug.gif

Sorry this reply is so late but I think you would be surprised at just  how much improvement you get when you upgrade the stock fuses to premium ones . I have some hifi tuning fuses in my dacs and they made definite improvements in them . But this was the first time that I have tried the isoclean fuses . I really like what the isoclean fuses have done to the sound of my concept 16.5 receiver .
   Things get noticeably quieter when you upgrade the fuse or fuses on these vintage monsters .
  I really think you should give it a whirl you definitely will not go back once you upgrade the fuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back