Does a better quality USB cable influence sound?
Sep 22, 2016 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

John2e

Headphoneus Supremus
Just purchased a DAC and the manufacturer/designer  suggests purchasing a hi quality USB cable preferably of silver construction.  Has anyone experience any sonic benefit from a better quality USB cable?  Coincidentally they sell said cables for $400 

Sep 22, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 62
I'm fine with the $5-$10 USB cables I buy from Monoprice.

Sep 23, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #4 of 62

Have you auditioned anything greater 

I think $300 USB cables or for those that spend tens of thousands of dollars on audio.
Most I would pay for a DAC/amp is around $300.

Sep 23, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #5 of 62

I think $300 USB cables or for those that spend tens of thousands of dollars on audio.
Most I would pay for a DAC/amp is around $300.

I hear you...

I have a bit invested in this hobby.  
Just purchased a Lampizator Atlantic R2R DAC which has been called one of the best DAC's in the world and considered a bargain @ $4.5K.  I am connecting it to their $5K music server.  Might be worth it for me to consider at least a high end cable that I can try and return or easily resell. But if enough people with expierence and who have tried various cables said it is a waste,  I'd use a $3 cable

Yes I know I have a problem 
redface.gif

I need AA,  Audiophile's anonymous 

I can quit at anytime though....
blink.gif

Sep 23, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 62
Since usb transfers digital info , no sonic difference can be heard when changing cables. Since that was your first question. As long as all the data gets from point a your storage to point b your dac, then doesnt matter if its an expensive or cheap cable it will sound the same.

Sep 23, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #7 of 62
Just purchased a DAC and the manufacturer/designer  suggests purchasing a hi quality USB cable preferably of silver construction.  Has anyone experience any sonic benefit from a better quality USB cable?  Coincidentally they sell said cables for $400 

A USB cable will not change the frequency response in an appreciable way.

Just use a cable that will get the bits across error free. Any well constructed cable will do that.

Sent from my E5803 using a highly trained, special forces carrier pigeon

Sep 23, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 62
A USB cable will not change the frequency response in an appreciable way.

Just use a cable that will get the bits across error free. Any well constructed cable will do that.

smile.gif
 you should change your head-fi name to;  FUNNYOLDGUY

Sep 25, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #9 of 62
From my personal experience, usb cables do make a difference. My friends around me who are into head-fi and hi-fi also have experienced differences in different USB cables.

Based on my personal experience, the differences can be more easily heard when you pay attention to the finer parts of your setup like the power, grounding, etc... And the difference is even more significant on speakers rather than headphones.

The difference would not affect the sound signature much but rather affect things like the soundstage, dynamics, etc...

Apart from the USB cables, you may want to have a look at the other things about USB like galvanic isolation, USB regeneration, etc.. They make a difference too.

It's quite hard to get around the concept that digital cables do no make a difference but what I would recommend is to get one and trust your ears.

I used to not believe in digital cables until my ears told me otherwise.

Cheers!

Sep 25, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #10 of 62
It cant affect sound as no sound goes through it. it is ridiculous to think otherwise. As long as all the ones and 0s get from your storage to your dac and everything on the analogue side is he same, the dac converts the same each time. Thats the beauty of  digital signal. its perfect and does not change. Thats why cable length does not matter with a digital signal. this probably needs to be moved to sound science. And yes i have heard and examined very expensive usb cables.

Sep 25, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #11 of 62
From my personal experience, usb cables do make a difference. My friends around me who are into head-fi and hi-fi also have experienced differences in different USB cables.

Based on my personal experience, the differences can be more easily heard when you pay attention to the finer parts of your setup like the power, grounding, etc... And the difference is even more significant on speakers rather than headphones.

The difference would not affect the sound signature much but rather affect things like the soundstage, dynamics, etc...

Apart from the USB cables, you may want to have a look at the other things about USB like galvanic isolation, USB regeneration, etc.. They make a difference too.

It's quite hard to get around the concept that digital cables do no make a difference but what I would recommend is to get one and trust your ears.

I used to not believe in digital cables until my ears told me otherwise.

Cheers!

What? Can you please explain the principle which substantiates this claim??

Sep 25, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #12 of 62
I cannot hear a difference so why would I pay the difference?  Pricier cabling does look better but not that much better.

The choice is yours and yours alone...Unless, that is, you're married.
very_evil_smiley.gif

All the best!

Sep 26, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #13 of 62
  It cant affect sound as no sound goes through it. it is ridiculous to think otherwise. As long as all the ones and 0s get from your storage to your dac and everything on the analogue side is he same, the dac converts the same each time. Thats the beauty of  digital signal. its perfect and does not change. Thats why cable length does not matter with a digital signal. this probably needs to be moved to sound science. And yes i have heard and examined very expensive usb cables.

Noise is known to get through, though that's more a problem with the electronics, a cheap cable that pics up noise, which wouldn't affect regular data transfers, can affect analogue circuits. There have been measurements taken that show this. How much that is audible is, not surprisingly, up for debate. 

Sep 26, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #14 of 62

Noise is known to get through, though that's more a problem with the electronics, a cheap cable that pics up noise, which wouldn't affect regular data transfers, can affect analogue circuits. There have been measurements taken that show this. How much that is audible is, not surprisingly, up for debate. 

there is no noise on  digital signal. that would require adding 1s and 0s to the information and a cable can not do that. you would get more noise from your power cable cable and grid than from a usb cable carrying a digital signal. As long as there was no loss of data due to he cable you will have just as pure copy of the music no matter which cable. It is not a sound wave with resistance moving through the cable. What changes the sound happens from the dac on till it reaches your ears.

Sep 26, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #15 of 62
This reminds me of a guy on youtube with a super expensive HT set up, and he bought $400 power cables. WHY!!?!?!?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back