Doctor told me not to use headphones anymore - Safe listening levels
Mar 12, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #76 of 105
One way to make listening at lower, safer volumes more enjoyable and ACCURATE is to use an equalizer, e.g., the one in foobar, to create a frequency curve that mimics the Fletcher-Munson (equal loudness frequency) curve for your overall listening level, say 75db--that is, make what used to be called a Loudness adjustment when there were knobs for this on amps. It is the relative loss of the lower lows and higher highs that makes uncorrected low level listening unexciting or even downright lacking.

Mar 12, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #77 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stunna7516 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know hearing is more important than looks and everything but... dont you feel kind of foolish with earplugs in trying to talk to people?

I take ear plugs with me when I go to a concert or to see live music or even to a loud dance club (all of these are somewhat rare occurances for me these days, but still). I will put them in if it is too loud. I am not going to tell you I am not self conscience at all . . . but not really that bad. You can find very descrete plus to wear and most will not notice. You can actually carry on a conversation a lot easier with them. I learned this years ago when I worked security for concerts . . . you had to wear plugs in many places (like standing in front of speakers). I was always amazed that you could communicate with someone else in that situation.

Mar 12, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #78 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom10167 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ever since owning IEMs I seriously go nuts in somewhat-noisy environments when I'm not wearing them, everyone speaks so loudly, everyone's yelling, noisy traffic etc.

I try to keep the volume as enjoyably quiet as I can too.

x2

Mar 12, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #80 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heres what I do...
Wear foam roll ear plugs all day every day and whenever you do not need to hear things around you... on the train etc.

Do that for a couple weeks, and your hearing will re-calibrate to that ambient level. For a while the loudest thing I was exposed too was my alarm clock.

Now, use your IEMs for music listening, and keep the volume VERY low. You'll be surprised at how low you can set the level too, and still hear every nuance and detail.

I do this every once in a while. Its really cool... its like getting a new amp or source for free.

I hate isolating my hearing constantly like that though. The problem with me is that when I isolate my hearing, I cant hear myself breathe and I start to hyper-ventilate. It sucks. This only happens in public, I guess I get nervous thinking other people can hear me breathe loud so it gets louder. At home I can listen to w/e I want whenever I want and it doesnt happen.

Mar 12, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #81 of 105
Thanks to this thread, I just placed my order for a SPL meter. I have no idea what DB level I'm listening at. I think I'm safe but should check to make sure.

Mar 12, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #82 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stunna7516 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is the sound check function on american ipods the supposed safe volume level? if so, it is still unbelievably loud.

Hmm, wait, is that like 'sound check' in iTunes? If so, then it is probably normalizing your music, which would be pretty loud....

I always hated burning CDs with sound check on, which was a concession I would have to make if I were doing a mix CD or something with older and newer songs. It would always make the peaks distort on the older recordings.
frown.gif

Apr 8, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #85 of 105
Sorry to bump an older thread, but this topic (hearing protection) is a bit too important to bury deep in the forums...

I just remembered that my dad owns a multimeter with SPL-meter incorporated as well. I just searched it and measured my average volume level with my MS2i's when listening to a couple of albums.

I'd say I generally listen at 60 to 65db (depending on the album/music genre), I rarely go over 65db and even the peaks didn't quite reach 70db. (As a reference, average noise levels in my 2nd floor / street side room were 50-55db with peaks from passing cars up till 60db)

I admit, the integrated SPL-meter probably wasn't very accurate and the lay-out was a bit less easy to use, so I had to build a little connector which put the mic a bit further from the driver. Still, I feel quite assured now that I know my listening habits aren't really detrimental for my hearing.

the setup (sorry for the phone-pics)... the foam/cardboard/rubber band is the DIY-adapter so I could get a solid seal with my MS2i bowls:
DSC00038.jpg

DSC00037.jpg

Apr 8, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #87 of 105
I would say that's the question of approach. I prefer to find the quiet place and listen on a bit lower volume...

Apr 8, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #88 of 105
This thread has made me curious enough to order a SPL meter. I'll do some testing when it arrives and post my findings.

Apr 8, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #89 of 105
I think using an SPL meter is a really important thing.

But I couldn't enjoy music a 65db. 75-80db for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back