Doctor told me not to use headphones anymore - Safe listening levels
Mar 9, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #46 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen a lot before bed, as an example. With no light and no distractions, I can listen at very near ZERO volume and enjoy myself considerably. Because all of my focus is on the music, it seems much "louder" although I attribute this to concentration allowing for absorption of the details.

I'm curious as to how often you sit back and JUST listen - no light, no distractions. It's amazing how much the enviroment you listen in can affect perceived volume.

I agree. The volume knob goes way down when it comes time for listening before bed w/ lights off... That's when you see how well your amp/headphones can deliver as far as details, etc. My bedside listening last night was my Sportapros & Hornet set to low gain. I had the volume set at about 7:30 on the volume knob.

Mar 9, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #47 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My bedside listening last night was my Sportapros & Hornet set to low gain. I had the volume set at about 7:30 on the volume knob.

Yea, that sounds about right for me too. Generally, at night with either my RS-1 or K701, the Hornet's volume is just below the first notch on low gain.

Factor light in with little distractions and it rises to about 8:00-9:00.

Mar 9, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #48 of 105
I'm about to give up on headphones for good.
The fear of damaging my hearing any further doesn't allow me to concentrate on the music and enjoy it anymore.
I will try my local dealer's Quad 22Ls next week and sell my headphone gear if I like the Quads.

Mar 9, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #49 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoFreire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm about to give up on headphones for good.
The fear of damaging my hearing any further doesn't allow me to concentrate on the music and enjoy it anymore.
I will try my local dealer's Quad 22Ls next week and sell my headphone gear if I like the Quads.

Don't give up on headphones! Just buy an SPL meter.

Mar 9, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #51 of 105
i say health is more important than a hobby. even though coming from a fellow head-fi'er, i for one can vouch that taking a hit to save your hearing is the better thing to do.

it's not like you cant enjoy music if you give up headphones.

--- i'd suggest keeping a cheaper budget headphone in case you want to listen to them every once in awhile =D a couple minutes every few days/weeks can't hurt too much can it?

Mar 9, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #52 of 105
Why risk your ability to enjoy music? Your health is more important than the use of Headphones.

If by going 2-channel you can still enjoy music with less risk it seems a reasonble compromise. I use headphones because I can't listen to speakers at reasonble levels in my apartment.

Good Luck dude. If you need any help importing 2-channel gear to Brazil please let me know? I'll help if I can in any way.

Mitch

Mar 9, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #53 of 105
uraflit;2779912 said:
i say health is more important than a hobby. even though coming from a fellow head-fi'er, i for one can vouch that taking a hit to save your hearing is the better thing to do.

it's not like you cant enjoy music if you give up headphones.
QUOTE]

But you also don't need to completely give up headphones to save your health either. It's called a volume knob, and it turns counterclockwise too!

Just try to acclimate yourself to a lower volume. In situations where background noise is loud, either don't use headphones, or use ones that block external sound out so that you can still hear the music at a lower volume.

By the way, how much do SPL meters cost?

Mar 9, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #54 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That seems like a very questionable study. So they found that in one Japanese factory,male workers who smoke in one Japanese factory had more hearing loss then the rest of the 45% of the other male workers who didn't smoke. All of this was in a noisy factory. They don't indicate any controls in this study....how do we not know that those who had more hearing loss didn't eat enough vegetables?
confused.gif
While I don't smoke and don't intend to pick up the habbit, I would think that I'd still be protecting my hearing if I kept sound levels below 80 db even if I was a smoker.

It wasn't the only test done. There were others. I just didn't care enough to look them up. I don't smoke either, but think that 80dbs max is a good rule of thumb that covers everyone with room to spare.
icon10.gif

Just make sure when using a db meter that you cover the drivers to simulate the reflections from the side of your head.

A db meter (radioshack has the cheapest I think) is about $50-60.

Mar 9, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #55 of 105
I found a cool site to do a hearing test online:

http://www.digital-recordings.com/he...-products.html

I took the 3rd test down using a set of ER6's for the test, and passed w/ flying colors. Less than 5 dB of loss overall, and only slightly more loss in my left ear than in my right ear.

EDIT:
There's also a link to Digital Recordings website through the Headwize article that was already provided earlier in this thread.

Mar 10, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #56 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. You need to couple the SPL meter to the earcup using cardboard, like this:

splmeterwithDT770.jpg

This is right on actually, and since I often listen at lower levels, this is one reason I really like Beyer DT990 and 770 - the rising bass response makes lower-level listening much more fun.

I'm just checking to see if I understand the setup.

1.)It looks like the rubberbands are compressing the earpads down. Is this correct?

2.) Is there a hole cut in the cardboard for the meter to have direct exposure to the sound?

3.) Or does the business end of the meter rest on top of a solid piece of cardboard.

Thanks for this picture and for any clarification.

Mar 10, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #57 of 105
The rubber bands are for a tight coupling, and yes, you cut a small hole the exact diameter of the SPL meter's mic to put that through the cardboard. The idea is for no sound to leak out.

Mar 10, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #58 of 105
On Skylabs urging I bought a SPL meter. Go get your commission from Radio Shack Skylab.
smily_headphones1.gif

First and most noticeable is that the same decibel level from my speakers seems much louder than from headphones. Second, my normal listening levels don't seem extraordinarily high maybe 60 - 70 db on speakers maybe 10% - 15% higher on HP at least under normal listening conditions.

I'm very happy I did this Thank you all. I haven't listened to headphones habitually and knowing I have a tendency to listen at higher levels is very useful information.

edit: maybe even 55 - 65db on speakers. Oddly enough I apparently listen to classic rock at lower volumes than jazz.

Mar 10, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #59 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The rubber bands are for a tight coupling, and yes, you cut a small hole the exact diameter of the SPL meter's mic to put that through the cardboard. The idea is for no sound to leak out.

Thanks for this clarification. I think I'll go get a SPL meter tomorow when I go to pick up my new turntable. I don't want to get too carried away with my new toy!

Mar 10, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #60 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Autochthon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On Skylabs urging I bought a SPL meter. Go get your commission from Radio Shack Skylab.
smily_headphones1.gif

First and most noticeable is that the same decibel level from my speakers seems much louder than from headphones. Second, my normal listening levels don't seem extraordinarily high maybe 60 - 70 db on speakers maybe 10% - 15% higher on HP at least under normal listening conditions.

This is EXACTLY why you need to measure. You CANNOT use speakers as a reference by "ear", since, as Autochthon has indicated, what sounds very loud on speakers doesn't sound as loud on headphones, but has the same impact on your ears. 80db on speakers seems really quite loud. 80db on headphones is satisfying, but really doesn't seem "loud".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back