Doctor told me not to use headphones anymore - Safe listening levels
Mar 8, 2007 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 105

HugoFreire

500+ Head-Fier
I've done an audiometry today and found out that my left ear is slightly damaged on the 4-6kHz range.
My right ear is OK, but the threshold of hearing for around 4kHz is louder than it should be.
This is a typical noise-induced hearing loss.
frown.gif

My audiologist told me not to use headphones anymore, but I think he's being too radical.

I've decided to buy a SPL meter to keep my listening at safe levels.

My question is: what are safe levels for headphones? Same as speakers (70-80dB)?

Mar 8, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 105
Because sound is injected directly to your earcanal (minus Ultrasones), eardrum is in bit more stressfull situation. So a bit lower than speakers and you are good to go. 65-75 is probaply good enough.

Mar 8, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 105
Source is totally meaningless - speaker, headphone, car, plane, etc.

There are very defined listening thresholds for damage xxdb for xx minutes.

Mar 8, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #6 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stunna7516 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here you go
http://www.headwize.com/articles/hearing_art.htm

Yes, I've read that article, but it doesn't say anything about speaker vs. heapdhones safe listening levels...
Thanks anyways!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoFreire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I've read that article, but it doesn't say anything about speaker vs. heapdhones safe listening levels...
Thanks anyways!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes it does.

Quote:

SOUND PERCEPTION IN HEADPHONES VS. LOUDSPEAKERS

In loudspeaker reproduction, sounds must travel several feet before reaching the listener's ears. By the time they arrive, a portion of the high frequencies have been absorbed by the air. Low frequencies are not absorbed as much, but they are more felt through bone conduction than actually heard. With headphones, the ears hear all frequencies without any attenuation, because the transducers are literally pressed against them. Thus, when listening to headphones at the same effective volume level as loudspeakers, headphones may still transmit louder high frequencies that are more likely to cause hearing damage.

Another hearing phenomenon that seems to be more noticeable with headphones is a decreasing sensitivity to sound levels over time, as the ears adapt to loud sounds. The listener perceives a gradual drop in loudness even though the volume control setting hasn't changed. The acoustic isolation of headphones tends to highlight this dulling effect. It is all too easy for headphone listeners to turn up the volume to the point where hearing is at risk. Interestingly, most people find it difficult to distinguish between 85dB and 100dB SPLs, despite that the latter is more injurious to hearing. Therefore, it is important to avoid listening fatigue by resting the ears in silence after long sessions with headphones and to fight the temptation to turn up the volume.

Personal stereos are another source of hearing damage risk. Using those open-air lightweight ("Walkman-style") headphones that come with portable stereos, listeners can enjoy music on the go - and often have the volume levels cranked up to drown out traffic and other outdoor noises. In a recent study of noise exposure from portable stereos (Airo et al.), listeners in a quiet laboratory setting were comfortable with headphones set at an average volume of 69 dB. Once outside where the mean noise level was 65 dB, the average volume went up to 82 dB, with some levels as high as 95 dB. The study concluded that "ome hearing loss risk would be expected when [portable stereos] are used in noisy conditions at work or among traffic, and therefore avoiding continuous use of [portable stereos] in noisy conditions is recommended." (See SETTING SAFE HEADPHONE VOLUME LEVELS below for tips on safe listening in high noise environments.)

Wearing headphones (especially the Walkman-style) during exercise is also dangerous to hearing. Aerobic exercise diverts blood from the ears to the limbs, and leaves the inner ear more vulnerable to damage from loud sound. A Swedish study estimated that the risk of hearing loss is doubled when listening to headphones at high volume during aerobic exercise. The study recommends limiting headphone use during exercise to one-half hour per day at half volume. (See SETTING SAFE HEADPHONE VOLUME LEVELS below for more tips on safe listening in high noise exercise environments.)

So in other words, the volume should be set bit lower than what is recommended to speakers due to reasons mentioned above. As I said, all sound is directly injected to your ears, so eardrums are taking more beating.

Mar 8, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 105
Thanks, MaZa.

I will try to set it at 70dB then.

Well, moving to speakers would be another option... Which I don't like very much, but I just can't live without good music.

Mar 8, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #9 of 105
If you've already got some hearing loss, I'd recommend listening at a few dBs less than normal recommendations, just to prevent yourself agrivating it further.

No need to go completely cold-turkey on headphones if you're careful.

Mar 8, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #10 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes it does.

I meant in quantitative aspects.

Mar 8, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #11 of 105
I use SPL meter and keep it under 80db at a recordings loudest point.

Just to be safe I turn it down a bit more after that.

I think 85dbs would be max.

90dbs and the clock starts - after a certain period of time damage will be done. It can be even lower than 90dbs if you smoke or other things are involved (background noise, etc.)

under 80dbs covers it all.

Mar 8, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #12 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It can be even lower than 90dbs if you smoke or ....

What is the rationale behind that? Just curious
confused.gif

Mar 8, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #13 of 105
i just keep my tbh on low gain, high gain makes my face move

Mar 8, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #14 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the rationale behind that? Just curious
confused.gif

Not sure but here's a test condition which have only glanced at

Combined effect of smoking and occupational exposure to noise on hearing loss in steel factory workers

Conclusions
The present finding indicates, together with previous findings, that smoking is an independent risk factor for high frequency hearing loss. Furthermore, the combined effects of smoking and exposure to noise on hearing may operate in an additive manner. In contrast, smoking was not associated with low frequency hearing loss. Hearing loss among workers can therefore be viewed as a work related and lifestyle related impairment, necessitating a coordinated remedial approach.

That's about the worste link I could have provided, but I have to run to a meeting.

I think it has something to do with the higher blood pressure of smokers... don't ask me beyond that. I just know they did tests and currently the threshold is lower for smokers. By how much I don't know.

Mar 8, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #15 of 105
I was told to stop listening to headphones when I was about twelve years old by the school nurse, due to tinnitus "sensations". Well, I didn't, seemed much too radical, specially since almost all of my music listening is done with headphones. I've got tinnitus today, which isn't really disturbing me that much though. I think it has subdued quite a lot since I stopped listening at insane volume-levels.

The problem with headphones and hearing damage is that people usually tend do listen to higher volumes on them, compared to what they do on speakers. Atleast thats my experience.

I wasn't really aware of the fact that you could loose hearing at the middle of the sound spectrum before you loose the highs. I think I ought to do a hearing test, just in case...

EDIT: Wow, i just realised that I didn't say something near to an answere to you're question. Well I don't have one but... from own experience I've noticed that my tinnitus sudued when I started using open headphones. Well I realise that you use the HE60s so that doesn't really help you either. Just some random stupid thinking from me. Hopefully it might help someone...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back