Doctor told me not to use headphones anymore - Safe listening levels
Apr 8, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #91 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...But I couldn't enjoy music a 65db. 75-80db for me.

In my relatively quiet room blasting sound right into my ears (unlike with rock concerts) I actually couldn't stand 80db on my MS2i
blink.gif
this made me think that the SPL-meter didn't function correctly or that my setup was flawed... or, as I think the measurement was pretty precise, that I simply can't stand loud noise (I do wear plugs to concerts or I have a ringing sensation - temporary tinnitus? - for a day or two)

At the last concert I saw (NIN) I forgot my earplugs and at one time the bass was so loud and deep, I could feel my eardrums 'ripple'/'flap'/'resonate'/ ... whatever you want to call it (more than just vibrate). It hurt a bit and it also made me feel quite nauseous. Luckily it didn't last that long.

Apr 8, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #92 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Indygreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I take ear plugs with me when I go to a concert or to see live music or even to a loud dance club (all of these are somewhat rare occurances for me these days, but still). I will put them in if it is too loud. I am not going to tell you I am not self conscience at all . . . but not really that bad. You can find very descrete plus to wear and most will not notice. You can actually carry on a conversation a lot easier with them. I learned this years ago when I worked security for concerts . . . you had to wear plugs in many places (like standing in front of speakers). I was always amazed that you could communicate with someone else in that situation.

Learn sign language. It makes it incredibly easy to communicate in load environments. Of course this assumes you are communicating with someone else who knows sign language.

This thread is making me want to get a SPL meter as well. When commuting, I use IEMs at 1/4 to 1/3 volume on my iPod. At home and work I listen with open headphones and can carry on a conversation while still listening to music. I don't do this a lot since it usually drives the person I'm talking to nuts. Listening at these levels, I'm pretty sure is OK, but I think I'll get a meter just to be sure.

Apr 8, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #93 of 105
Quote:

I think using an SPL meter is a really important thing.

But I couldn't enjoy music a 65db. 75-80db for me.

I've found the music determines the volume. With some, even most tunes, 55-65db is fine. But as with the aforementioned Beethoven I can't restrain myself I seldom even use headphones. I crank it up 85+ and jump all over the room gesticulating wildly like an idgit.

Apr 8, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #94 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Autochthon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've found the music determines the volume. With some, even most tunes, 55-65db is fine. But as with the aforementioned Beethoven I can't restrain myself I seldom even use headphones. I crank it up 85+ and jump all over the room gesticulating wildly like an idgit.

Not to be a jerk, but are you sure you're measuring correctly? 50db is the SPL level of an average home WITH NO specific sound present - just background noise! Music at 55db via headphones, measured properly, is just barely audible via open phones.

Apr 8, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #95 of 105
Quote:

I think using an SPL meter is a really important thing.

But I couldn't enjoy music a 65db. 75-80db for me.

I try to keep mine betwen 75-80 dB with some going on average to 85 dB. Peaks would top out higher of course.

Apr 8, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #96 of 105
No worries, I don't take offense to honest questions I could easily be missing something. I'll let you decide
wink.gif
. I'm using an analogue spl meter from Radioshack model # 33-4050

It has a 1/2" long 1" diameter microphone neck. I take a piece of cardboard cut to size and shape such that it slightly extends beyond the edges of the ear-cup. I cut a small hole slightly smaller than the microphone neck and slide the microphone neck into the hole. The cardboard compresses tightly around the microphone neck. I clamp cardboard and spl meter over 1 ear-cup and test. The microphone ends up suspended in a largely sealed ear cup about 3/8" from the inner foam pad.

When testing my speaker volume the meter is generally balance on a platform about 18" from the speaker which is about half my usual ear distance when seated at my desk. To my ears the volume readings between speaker and headphone are similar enough that I haven't questioned the headphone testing method.

You are correct the most annoying part of listening at low volumes is background noise. My computer which is tucked away in a nearby closet is by far the loudest (constant) sound in the room when listening at low levels. At these levels all sounds: Typing, finger-tapping just about anything is easily heard through the music.

As I mentioned earlier frequency matters with perceived loudness as does volume range and peaks. Another problem with listening this quietly is lower frequencies can seem muted as compared to higher.

Apr 8, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #97 of 105
problem is most concerts are loud enough to damage hearing so to listen at what sounds like realistic levels one is causing damage. you may think this phenomenon is exclusive to rock/metal but infact standing next to a violinist you can easily get blasted by 125db. I often play in orchestras and wonder wether I should be wearing ear plugs.

Apr 9, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #98 of 105
I've often wondered how opera singers avoid major hearing damage. They sing loud enough to hear clearly in the nose bleed seats and are often singing within a few feet of each other.

I plan on buying a SPL meter tomorrow at Radio Shack. They're in stock at the one a block away from work. I was wondering if it was possible to test IEMs by cutting a small hole in the cardboard and filling it with a foam tip?

Apr 9, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #99 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Autochthon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No worries, I don't take offense to honest questions I could easily be missing something. I'll let you decide
wink.gif
. I'm using an analogue spl meter from Radioshack model # 33-4050

It has a 1/2" long 1" diameter microphone neck. I take a piece of cardboard cut to size and shape such that it slightly extends beyond the edges of the ear-cup. I cut a small hole slightly smaller than the microphone neck and slide the microphone neck into the hole. The cardboard compresses tightly around the microphone neck. I clamp cardboard and spl meter over 1 ear-cup and test. The microphone ends up suspended in a largely sealed ear cup about 3/8" from the inner foam pad.

When testing my speaker volume the meter is generally balance on a platform about 18" from the speaker which is about half my usual ear distance when seated at my desk. To my ears the volume readings between speaker and headphone are similar enough that I haven't questioned the headphone testing method.

You are correct the most annoying part of listening at low volumes is background noise. My computer which is tucked away in a nearby closet is by far the loudest (constant) sound in the room when listening at low levels. At these levels all sounds: Typing, finger-tapping just about anything is easily heard through the music.

As I mentioned earlier frequency matters with perceived loudness as does volume range and peaks. Another problem with listening this quietly is lower frequencies can seem muted as compared to higher.

Well, you are doing it right. And from your post it really does sound like you listen that low. I'm amazed, but good for you!

Apr 9, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #100 of 105
Quote:

Well, you are doing it right. And from your post it really does sound like you listen that low. I'm amazed, but good for you!

As you suggest not all music is enjoyable at low levels. I find I can handle it better with Jazz and some Classical but Rock/Pop seems to want more volume. But that may have more to do with vocals demanding upfront attention more than most instrumentals.

Apr 9, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #101 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've often wondered how opera singers avoid major hearing damage. They sing loud enough to hear clearly in the nose bleed seats and are often singing within a few feet of each other.

I plan on buying a SPL meter tomorrow at Radio Shack. They're in stock at the one a block away from work. I was wondering if it was possible to test IEMs by cutting a small hole in the cardboard and filling it with a foam tip?

Length of time exposed to the sound has a little something to do with it. We practiced long hours, but I personally was not one to be in full-on mode for 8 or more hours a day.
blink.gif
During technical rehearsals we were usually in "sorta voice". Most of the preperation IME was done outside of cast rehearsals - and also IME not for over 8 hours - which is what you'd need to damage your hearing in a permanent way.

The ears are more resilient than we're giving them credit for. They are in fact ment to hear things. It's prolonged exposure to sounds over that threshhold, and huge transient spikes that damage.

Listen to your own bodies. If you get headaches, feel pressure, suddenly everything feels overloud, you don't enjoy it, you hear any background noise that isn't there - give it a rest.

You can crank the volume on Beethoven's 9th as long as you don't put in on repeat for the evening. No, I'm not a doctor, just someone whose ears got just such workouts and is fine. Ya know, a normal human being. Know yourself and know YMMV.

/was never a famous opera singer, just someone with a little experience.

Apr 10, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #102 of 105
I bought the Radio Shack SPL meter yesterday and tested my IEMs doing the following.
  • I drilled a 1 inch hole in a 3/4 inch board. The neck of the SPL meter is 1/2 long
  • I drilled a 3/8 inch hole in a piece of card board.
  • Stuff my UM1 with a foam tip in the cardboard.
  • Put the UM1 on one side of the 1 inch hole and the neck of the meter though the other end of the hole. I figure that this puts the tip of the UM1 about 3/8 inch from the screen over the mic in the meter

Results:
Tommy by The Who was the album currently being played on my iPod and I think it's a good test for loud music. I tested about half of the songs in various points of the songs.

At about 1/3 volume, which is how I normally listen, the meter read between 65dB and 75dB. When I bumped the volume to the loudest I ever listen, about 1/2, the dB level was between 75 and 85.
Please let me know if you think this is a legitimate test.

On my way home last night on the DC Metro, I turned the SPL meter on to see how loud it was. On the platform, the ambient level without a train present was 75dB. With a train coming it jumped to 105dB. With the train stopped, it was 90dB. On the train, when stopped the it was 85dB. Moving it was 95dB - 110dB, and this was tested on straight track between 3 different stations. I stopped testing before the loudest part of the trip, when the train goes around curves. My commute is about 20 minutes each way on the train, so it make me very glad to be using IEMs. A few times in the past I've listened to music with open cans or buds. I must have had the level at about 120dB, just to hear it.

IMG_1394.jpg

Definately need to clean these before putting them back in my ear.
biggrin.gif

IMG_1395.jpg

IMG_1396.jpg

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1395.jpg

IMG_1399.jpg

Apr 10, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #103 of 105
Interesting tactic! I have no way to know how accurate it is, but it at least seems to be theoretically sound.

Apr 29, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #105 of 105
Loud music is fun sometimes but most of the time as long as you use well sealed IEM or closed cans, you really don't need to listen too loud, jus tmy opinion, I like IEm's soo much because they block out the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back