Do you want the metric system in the USA?
Jan 30, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #31 of 122
...preferably not in my lifetime... I'm lazy.

I'm certainly not interested in government intervention in this matter. We spend millions in the 70's and all we got out of it was 2 liter bottles.

Jan 30, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #32 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose you mean with weather forecasts and the like. yeah, i imagine it could be confusing at first. But with 0 Celsius/centigrade as the freezing temp of water (or melting point of ice), 100 boiling point - you nice round numbers... you'll get use to it

When I frist got to US, at any given day, I don't really how what to wear before going out, The temperature thing just killing me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orpheus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
best reason to go metric:...

so you don't have to buy 2 sets of sockets and wrenches.
wink.gif
(snapon has made a fortune off of me.
wink_face.gif
)

YES. as mechanic, I hate to spend twice as much to have two sets. When I work on Militay Equipments some parts are standard, and parts are metric, never the same!!

Jan 30, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #34 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the imperial lengths were easy when everyone had 12 fingers

5/16", perhaps I have to take off my shoes start using my toes
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #35 of 122
Quote:

wink.gif
wink_face.gif
)

I agree very much. I hate having to buy 2 sets of tools.
redface.gif

Jan 30, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #36 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think celsius is a metric measurement. But in any case, celsius is a beautiful way of measuring temperature. 0° is when water freezes, 100° is when water boils, couldn't ask for a more logical measurement of temperature.

Kelvin is the actual metric measurement for temperature, but 0 Celcius is 273.15 K.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...preferably not in my lifetime... I'm lazy.

I'm certainly not interested in government intervention in this matter. We spend millions in the 70's and all we got out of it was 2 liter bottles.

2 liter bottles didn't come from the 70s. It came from companies wanting the same size containers everywhere.

Jan 30, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #37 of 122
I'm all in favor of the Metric System. But on a practical level, it would be a nightmare to implement.

Imperial tools would have to be kept around for quite some time - a lot of us hold on to old cars, bikes, tools, and much else.

Also, a lot of the country is barely literate as it is. Changing everything would really mess with them.

Jan 30, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #38 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My qualm with it (Celsius/Centigrade) is that, while it is well-supported by scientific phenomena, it isn't as precise in measuring ever-day conditions on the surface of the earth. Plus, it isn't even all that useful scientifically.

What do you mean, temperature is temperature, being born and raised in asia, I find celcius is much easier than farenheit. 0c is freezing, lower than 10c is cold, higher than 30c is hot.

Jan 30, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #39 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, that would be a blessing!
Seeing how the metric system is used almost everywhere else in the world.

[size=xx-small]Click for larger[/size]

Antarctica has really dropped the ball here, they need to get with the program.

Jan 30, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #40 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you mean, temperature is temperature, being born and raised in asia, I find celcius is much easier than farenheit. 0c is freezing, lower than 10c is cold, higher than 30c is hot.

That's a range of only 20 degrees, which compared (~35F being cold and 80F being hot) to a range of 45 degrees, is significantly less precise. Now, I'm not trying to be argumentative, but of course you find Celsius easier to use; you were raised on it. It's the same reason I find Fahrenheit much more simple to identify with.

Jan 30, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #41 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattcalf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Antarctica has really dropped the ball here, they need to get with the program.

Antarctica is clearly the largest continent (through observing that map), so I think that the world should conform to their standard. Also, their population is the most highly educated per capita, so they must know their stuff!
tongue.gif

Jan 30, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #42 of 122
Quote:

wink.gif
wink_face.gif
)

This is my silent struggle. Some of the machines I work with were made in the States, so imperial screws, taps and nuts. Some are made in Europe, so metric screws, taps and nuts.

Jan 30, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #43 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I voted yes. We were starting to do it in the 70s and the effort just kind of petered out.

I doubt it will ever happen though, or at least not in my lifetime. Considering how inmumerate most people are, it would confuse most people.

I wonder if anyone here was around in Britain or elsewhere when the conversion was made. I've met older people in Britain who still couldn't comprehend Celcius. I think that and kilometers/miles and centimeters/inches would be the hardest for most people.

Liters are already pretty widely used in drink bottles. A kilo is 2.2 pounds so that conversion is pretty easy.

Well 2.5 cm is an inch, and 1.6km is a mile, so it's not that bad. I'm not sure why people don't get celcius in the states, 0 is water freezing, 100 is water boiling, 20 is room temp, 30 is a summer day, easy!

Jan 30, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #44 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well 2.5 cm is an inch, and 1.6km is a mile, so it's not that bad. I'm not sure why people don't get celcius in the states, 0 is water freezing, 100 is water boiling, 20 is room temp, 30 is a summer day, easy!

I don't have much problem with cm and km, but I think quite a few people would. Celcius is just not being used to it. I really have only a rough idea and need to do the conversion to know what it will feel like. It wouldn't take me long to get used to it if I was exposed to it every day.

I've stayed in a few B&Bs in Britain with elderly proprietors and they had problems with Celcius. I remember one couple in particular. We were talking about weather in the DC area and I said what typical summer temperatures are in Celcius. They asked what that was in Fahrenheit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back