Do you want the metric system in the USA?
Jan 31, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #61 of 122
I think the metric system should be used everywhere. Speaking language is different across borders, but the language of measurements should be universal.

Did that sound right?
redface.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #62 of 122
I did some searches and I found one quote that the highway system converted all of it's hardware to metric in the 90s and it cost $73 million.

I also found that some countries are forbidding the import of packages that have imperial units on them, including Europe in the near future. They'll be forbidden even if it also has a metric measurement on it. Proctor & Gamble has petitioned the government to allow sale of packaging without imperial units.

Jan 31, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #64 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did some searches and I found one quote that the highway system converted all of it's hardware to metric in the 90s and it cost $73 million.

I also found that some countries are forbidding the import of packages that have imperial units on them, including Europe in the near future. They'll be forbidden even if it also has a metric measurement on it. Proctor & Gamble has petitioned the government to allow sale of packaging without imperial units.

Ouch, so all those offshore factories are going to have to produce dual packaging now? I feel so sorry for them. Maybe they'll consider bring some of the work back onshore for domestic consumption and recreate some of the jobs that have been lost since the 80s.

Jan 31, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #65 of 122
I think switching to the metric system should be the last thing on this country's agenda. There are so many important issues that need to be tackled right now, I just don't feel that it is necessary to think about switching until some the more important issues facing us are worked out.

Jan 31, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #66 of 122
I think the US should use the metric system... but actually changing it would be a nightmare.

Jan 31, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #67 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAudioDude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the metric system should be used everywhere. Speaking language is different across borders, but the language of measurements should be universal.

Did that sound right?
redface.gif

The purpose of measuring is to communicate too. What is science without a group of scientists coming to consensus based on the measuring and communicating of proofs and backing data? If we need to have a common system of measurement, why can the same reasoning not be applied to language?

Isn't translation a lot more difficult and error-prone than metric to imperial conversions? Hasn't mis-communication/misunderstandings between countries been the cause of some major conflicts over the ages?

Thought experiment--the first extraterrestrial race we encounter has 8 digits and their number system is octal. Will metric still be universal? Measurement systems are arbitrary by nature and none are less arbitrary than the other.

Jan 31, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #68 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The purpose of measuring is to communicate too. What is science without a group of scientists coming to consensus based on the measuring and communicating of proofs and backing data? If we need to have a common system of measurement, why can the same reasoning not be applied to language?

Isn't translation a lot more difficult and error-prone than metric to imperial conversions? Hasn't mis-communication/misunderstandings between countries been the cause of some major conflicts over the ages?

Thought experiment--the first extraterrestrial race we encounter has 8 digits and their number system is octal. Will metric still be universal? Measurement systems are arbitrary by nature and none are less arbitrary than the other.

That's a good point right there. For a basic computer to be designed to operate, an engineer needs to be able to convert a standard decimal system that we use in day to day life into the binary system and the hexadecimal system. Back in the prime of my computer engineering years in college, we were using all three systems so much in class, that the conversion between them required little though. I've often found that converting between metric and standard/imperial is much the same way. Those particular conversions that you use frequently tend to become ingrained in your head so you no longer have to think to know what they are. In other cases, if you do have to convert between systems fairly regularly, you are often not far away from a computer, book or table that has the necessary conversion factors in it for you to grab at a moments chance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I honestly find it disturbing that nations of the world would use the printing of imperial units on a package as grounds to forbid the import of said products. Especially if the metric measurements are on it as well.

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #69 of 122
i want it, but i think it's been standard for far too long, and too many things (building codes, non-scientist normal units, etc) have been in place for too long.

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #70 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am pretty sure it will be 3/4" off the target. Maybe 7/16" to the left
biggrin.gif

This is why I hate the standard system... omg Why all the fractions? It makes it really hard to estimate as well. mm and cm are all uniform and constant. NO fractions.

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #71 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is why I hate the standard system... omg Why all the fractions? It makes it really hard to estimate as well. mm and cm are all uniform and constant. NO fractions.

makes us good at fractions and mixed numbers. DUH

Jan 31, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #72 of 122
LOL Sure I guess. Please hand me the 57/128ths wrench please.
tongue.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #73 of 122
A lot of SI units are based on natural variables in the universe (such as the speed of light). Should Aliens come and visit they should have no problem comprehending the uni system. If they do then Plank units might be a useful way of getting out of that problem.

If the US was to switch to metric at least do it properly. We're stuck with a bizarre system in the UK. We buy our beer in pints, our fuel in litres, roads are in miles and yards while everything else (like bridge height) is in metres or both, temperature in celcius, human weight in stones and pounds while everything else is in kilos.

Jan 31, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #75 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You do realize that .1 is 1/10th? In an octal base, one could represent .1=1/8 .01=1/64. Base 10 does not have unique properties from the perspective of mathematics.

In my generation kids got over their 'fear' of fractions in the 6th grade. I assume with today's curriculum, it is a lot earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back