Do you want the metric system in the USA?
Jan 30, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #47 of 122
I voted yes, but I don't want trade in my yardstick for a meterstick. Or would it be metrestick?
wink.gif

Sssshhh. Don't give President Obama anymore ideas to spend our hard earned tax dollars on....

Jan 30, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #48 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by smrtby123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get both responses as an engineer. I had one prof that loves the US system because you are already thinking in terms of force with the pound-standard but that is only thing the US system has going for it. The best example I use is just length alone. I can't do the fraction math fast enough in my head, let alone try to get the decimal fast enough to put it into a CAD program without using a calculator. Such a pain in the neck.

True. We design all our stuff Metric, mostly automotive equipment. Matter of fact, just about ALL prints related to anything automotive are Metric, even GM/Ford/Chrysler. MB, BMW etc of course always have been.

As far as I know all fasteners on a car are metric.

Designing in metric is soooo much easier to keep the numbers "nominal" vs. crazy decimal equivalents of inch fraction measurements.

As far as CAD, the software I use (Solidworks) will convert on the fly. If I input a dimension, I can do it in whatever format I want. For instance I can put in 5in, or 5mm and it will know what to do. It will even to angstroms!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #49 of 122
IMHO overhaul the system to metic will save US alot of money in the long run, exspecially manufacture industry, and make US products more competitive in today's world wide economy . For those who vote no, are being pretty selfish at individual level convenience and comfort.
beerchug.gif

Jan 30, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #50 of 122
Nope, change for change sake is not a good idea. They started trying to implement it in the 70s but the interest wasn't there. The conversions are not hard to do when needed. What's changed to make it important now? Nothing.

I suppose it would be simpler if we all abolished all languages but one too. That won't happen either.

Jan 30, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #52 of 122
Uh there was a world wide economy before the internet. The conversion and societal costs associated with it is not worth the effort. As others have said, the country has a lot more important things to focus on. Metric doesn't solve energy, healthcare, etc.

Jan 31, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #53 of 122
Even in a Country that has been metric for over 30 years people still use feet and inches to describe a persons height,and no doubt this will continue for many years to come.

Jan 31, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #54 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO overhaul the system to metic will save US alot of money in the long run, exspecially manufacture industry, and make US products more competitive in today's world wide economy . For those who vote no, are being pretty selfish at individual level convenience and comfort.
beerchug.gif

Why do people think that America is not competitive with exports.

Go here and have a look how countries rank::List of countries by exports - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

It puts a lot back into perspective.

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #55 of 122
The amount of money and time needed to overhaul the US over to an entirely metric system is an investment that, as of right now, is better spent elsewhere. As ford2 mentioned, even if the US were to switch entirely over to metric, plenty of people are going to continue using Standard just because of familiarity. I was born here in the US but I spent 5 years in India under the metric system. As an engineer I have had to deal with both systems in the real world and both systems being used in the exact same implementation at the exact same time (tools that are threaded together on threads cut to Standard specifications but with housing screws that are in metric Allen measurements). I have found that in less than a year, I was able to rapidly switch back and forth from one system to the other for my needs. In my case, I'm quite fine with seeing the US stick with the Standard system and I don't think its particularly selfish of the US to do so nor do I think it is a necessity for them to do so.

Jan 31, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #56 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who vote no, are being pretty selfish at individual level convenience and comfort.
beerchug.gif

That's a pretty arrogant conclusion to arrive at for someone who has no long-running history in this country.

Metric was beat into our brains from an early age along with imperial measurements. If one had any math/science/engineering background and post-secondary education in the same, it is second nature.

Fact is, you buy gas or milk, it's gallons. You take a road trip, its miles. Buy rock it will be in tons. There is no good reason to change when the bulk of our GDP is internal consumption.

Jan 31, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #57 of 122
I wonder what the annual cost of foul ups like the Mars probe is. I'm sure that wasn't an isolated incident, just an incredibly expensive one. My bet is that the cost is significant, although no where near what the cost of conversion would be.

Jan 31, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #58 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder what the annual cost of foul ups like the Mars probe is. I'm sure that wasn't an isolated incident, just an incredibly expensive one. My bet is that the cost is significant, although no where near what the cost of conversion would be.

I am pretty sure it will be 3/4" off the target. Maybe 7/16" to the left
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #59 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder what the annual cost of foul ups like the Mars probe is. I'm sure that wasn't an isolated incident, just an incredibly expensive one.

Not expensive compared to the many other ways our govt tosses money around. It appears to have been remediated whereas the metric system didn't seem to help the EU lander survive. I have a high regard for the quality of findings that comes out of NASA; money well spent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back