Do you use your good IEMs on the go?
Mar 12, 2012 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

bubsdaddy

1000+ Head-Fier
I am very reluctant to use my TF10s or MDTs out and about even though I really like both of them. I gave a pair of TF10s to my 23 year old son and he takes them everywhere he goes. So, do you use your best IEMs as much as you can or do you "save" them for safer places?

Mar 12, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 53
I don't have any IEMs over $100. Whether someone should wear an IEM over $100 when they are out and about, should depend on how upset they will be if it is broken or lost. I would only wear an IEM out and about in situations where sound isolation is safe. When waking around, I usually use traditional earbuds that are under $50.

Mar 12, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 53
I don't, but that's mostly because i rarely listen to music when i'm "on the go" (mostly listen to podcasts, SQ not really a priority) and i usually only have 1 IEM on (so I can hear what's going around me).

Mar 12, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #5 of 53
Whats the point of having them and not using them?

I use my 1300$ Heir customs everyday. Granted I make sure they are well taken care of. Anytime they come out they go in their hard case and I never leave them sitting on my desk or in my car unprotected. Too easy for them to fall or my worst fear, someone slamming something down ontop of them.

Just take care of your stuff. In my mind theres no reason to not enjoy this hobby wherever I go.

Mar 12, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 53
I take them when I go snowboarding, to work and when I use public transportation. I take them wherever I go unless I am meeting some friends.

I have a set of remolded tf10 which are pretty sturdy. I dont plan on taking my next set of customs out much tho. Maybe when I travel.

Mar 12, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #7 of 53
I use my PFE 232 as long as I'm not doing anything that will work up a sweat and drench (and probably ruin) the Comply tips or in a situation where the cable is likely to get snagged on something or otherwise cut and/or mangled in tight quarters..  Otherwise I'll wear them all day If I'm on the go.

Mar 12, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 53
I've been using my best I.E.M without any damage occurring "on the go" for years .Firstly some Westone 3's and for the last year or so the Superb Earsonic 3's . I always make sure the cable is tucked Behind my shirt . I also always use a extra clip on my shirt collar to secure the cable and prevent any tension from pulling at the IEM shells .I mostly use them whilst cycling/running/walking on safe country tracks etc .
Provided the cable  isn't loose so it can't snag on anything their is no reason not to use them 2on the go" .In fact that's what their best used for ,Moving with the music :)

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #10 of 53
I've been almost constantly using my TF10's on the go for the four or five years I've had them - walking places and trains mostly. I try and use the carry case for them when I can just in case but I do wind them around my iPod and stuff them in my bag or pocket more than I should. The paint is coming off them now but they've never suffered any serious damage. 

I have bought a pair of Shure SE215's as back up though, just in case. 

Mar 12, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #12 of 53
Mar 12, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #13 of 53

Quote:
No problem with moisture?

Westone Monitor Saver or a packet of silica beads(those ones that soak up moisture) in the case and you're good to go.
wink_face.gif

Mar 12, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #14 of 53
Absolutely.  What's the point of having them.  Just be careful and take care of them.

It would be like having a nice fancy car but never driving it or being afraid to take it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back