Do you use full size headphones on your commute or in public?
Jan 21, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #16 of 34
I find full sized headphones like my pro 900 that I love so much, to be a bit heavy on the head and stressful on the neck when commuting though. personally, used my audio technicas es 7's more.

Jan 24, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #17 of 34
SF city resident checking in.

I have no qualms whatsoever about wearing full-size cans during foot or train commute. I can understand that more bus commuting might give me a different perspective though. But I love my large heavy headphones; picking my username intentionally reflects this.

Back when I was travelling a few times a day, I was wearing my 7506 or my V700DJ, the latter being my only full-size at the time since my studio cans were on loan. In fact, up until I had to grow up, headphones were always on me in some way for almost every day since college (many years ago). But even now that I'm not all over the city and surrounding areas, I still take my laptop and Firebox out on rare occasion, and bring my cans with a wired 1/4" plug, just because I can. So if you saw a guy on his laptop drinking coffee or tea while enjoying some vintages or a T50RP, that was me.

These days I'm far more likely to grab my IEMs or my KSC75 for a short walk to the grocery store because the portables are right next to my keys.

And yes, I am always concerned about getting run for my more-ostentatious devices, even though my gear is clearly budget-fi by audiophile standards. It's one of the reasons I don't mind walking so close to the FiDi nerds with the Solos. If something happens, it'll happen to them first LOL.

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #18 of 34
Thanks for your insight my fellow San Franciscan.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #19 of 34
I use my HD-25's everyday when i go to work...its a 15 mins walk from home. 

source is my portable player, sometimes paired with my E7. 

Jan 25, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #20 of 34
i have always worn full sized headphones all the time on bus commute from school and work use during beak at school and work had many different sets of sennheiser .. I did get robbed for my set-up but it was not at school or on the bus but  it was at work from my locker and it was an inside job was several years ago ... now roll with a set of modded sennheiser HD580 Fiio E11 amp and sony minidisc player as portable player never worried about getting robbed i most often loo at it as an opportunity to bring others into the audiophile fold when they ask: "what kind of headphones are those" i often get on the bus and at school in. makes time go by faster have iem's but prefer my fullsized hands down and i ordered portable headphone case for mine that i attach to laptop bag while not in use ..

Jan 25, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #22 of 34

Full sized cans are making waves down here in Melbourne ~ I'm seeing more and more Shure 440's, 840's not
 to mention 280Pro's, Beats Studios and the Sony XB series on the train these days.

The fallout from the M50 craze is also starting to filter down to sightings all over the place.

Jan 25, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #23 of 34
Usually take the IEM's, but since they're in for RMA, I've been taking the HD-25's with a PA2v2 amp to boot. I work in downtown Toronto so not too worried about getting robbed. Have never been robbed before, but have found a pair of beats tours left in a locker room.

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #24 of 34
If I do stroll out with my PSP and some Headphones.
You better believe it'll prolly b some $20 or less full size cans.
I sorta live in a BAD Neighborhood and these Thugs would Absolutly LOVE to get some BEATS!
YA KNOW!

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #25 of 34

Quote:

Full sized cans are making waves down here in Melbourne ~ I'm seeing more and more Shure 440's, 840's not
 to mention 280Pro's, Beats Studios and the Sony XB series on the train these days.

The fallout from the M50 craze is also starting to filter down to sightings all over the place.

I'm surprised you're seeing Shures outside. They're not very good for moving about with, look ugly as sin when worn and they isolate way too well.

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #26 of 34
Chicago public transit user here (train and bus) - I have no problem using full size cans (aside from noise issues). I'd probably be more afraid if I had an iPad/iPhone - those have been stolen from people on the trains. But I've not worried about losing the headphones - nor am I worried they would make me a target specifically. Most thieves wouldn't know the value (or model difference) between the various grados, akgs, senn's out there... I expect Beats and Bose are the only ones for sure they'd know they could resell/pawn at X value relatively safely. 

I worry more about falling asleep and missing my stop. 

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #27 of 34
Some teenage ghetto girl tried to take my sister's iphone back when she lived in Chicago, while she was near the train stop. My sister has had quite the training and took her down. She was more pissed that her phone got dropped. I used my cans on the train out there when I was and had no problems.

My city has it's ups and downs but most idiot thieves wouldn't know if someone was walking around with 1500 dollar headphones, but they know the names Beats and Bose..... /facepalm

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #29 of 34
Nope.

As someone mentioned, I like to hear my surroundings due to safety reasons, so my headphones are mainly for home-use or long travel trips. I have invested in a pair of clip-ons (ATH EM700's), and I find it absolutely fine for outside use.

I'm not too fond of the feeling of IEM's inside my ears :I

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #30 of 34
I've up to this point only ever used IEMs while travelling, but I'm planning to move away from them. I'm sick of tangled cables, losing the tips and having to replace them every 6 months from wear and tear. I'm currently using my HD485's as an interim solution until I order some new more portable sized headphones, probably HD-25's.

edit: and despite all the attacks in the Berlin Subway's of late, I'm not worried about being robbed, I wouldn't wear such large headphones late at night. During the commuting hours its very safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back