Do you travel with your Full size high impedance headphones?
Apr 13, 2009 at 9:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Nocturnal310

Headphoneus Supremus
I never have..fearing airport security mite give trouble over the full size amp.

or the headphones mite break.

what are your experiences?

Apr 13, 2009 at 10:33 AM Post #2 of 33
Don't know if that counts, took my woodied MS1000 with me on a 1 week bicycle trip last year. That wasn't too brilliant, as I prefer my bivy bag to a tent and almost got drowned one night, and the poor Alessandro got drowned as well. The woody got so wet that it split up into its components.
eek.gif

This year's trip will be with the K81...and maybe even a tent...
tongue.gif

Apr 13, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #4 of 33
I have never done so, besides shorter trips here locally.
That said, lots of Head-Fi'ers fly longer distances to attend meetings. They seem to bring any kind of headphones, regardless if low or high impedance, electrostatic, ...

Apr 13, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fearing airport security mite give trouble over the full size amp.

I can understand if you bring a full-sized phones, but a full-sized amp makes me laugh.

Apr 13, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 33
Sorry to threadjack, but this is actually something I've been thinking about lately. In Fall '10 (I know, I know: it's still a long ways off!), I will be heading to France to study/work for a year. My current setup is Keces DA-152 > Sennheiser HD-600. I love this setup (a lot!), and it would work fine abroad because of its switchable voltage. However, despite the fact that its a relatively small system, it will still take up a lot of valuable packing room in my suitcase, and I'm afraid of security issues (the Keces has to look like a bomb under the x-ray!) as well as chance of it getting damaged in transit.

I've been thinking lately about leaving the Keces/Sennheiser system with a friend while I'm gone, so that it will stay safe and also see some use, and just taking my "transportable" system instead: Leckerton UHA-3 (portable DAC/amp) > Ultrasone HFI-650. This is a fine system, as well, but can I survive a year with just that?! I don't know...

Thoughts?

Apr 13, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #8 of 33
^ You can't live with that for a year. I would not want to see you hurting yourself over paranoia.
I wouldn't worry one bit over shipping. Just pack them in flightcases with foam. Should be enough.

Apr 13, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been thinking lately about leaving the Keces/Sennheiser system with a friend while I'm gone, so that it will stay safe and also see some use, and just taking my "transportable" system instead: Leckerton UHA-3 (portable DAC/amp) > Ultrasone HFI-650. This is a fine system, as well, but can I survive a year with just that?! I don't know...

Thoughts?

Just have your rig shipped over by FedEx.

I usually travel with the RS-1 and an iPod. I haven't had any trouble getting that through "security" at the airport. Though, I did manage to get a knife through on my last trip.
redface.gif
I had taken a road trip to Arizona a few weeks before and forgot that I tossed a pocketknife into one of the pockets. It sailed right through the checkpoint and I didn't discover it until I got to the hotel. It went into checked baggage on the the way back.

Apr 13, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to threadjack, but this is actually something I've been thinking about lately. In Fall '10 (I know, I know: it's still a long ways off!), I will be heading to France to study/work for a year. My current setup is Keces DA-152 > Sennheiser HD-600. I love this setup (a lot!), and it would work fine abroad because of its switchable voltage. However, despite the fact that its a relatively small system, it will still take up a lot of valuable packing room in my suitcase, and I'm afraid of security issues (the Keces has to look like a bomb under the x-ray!) as well as chance of it getting damaged in transit.

Thoughts?

I would bring my desktop system if I were you.

Apr 13, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #12 of 33
Oh, yeah... I didn't even think about shipping the system instead! Duh.

Thanks for the advice!
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #13 of 33
I travel with my 6ft tall, high maintenance GF.............'phones not required.

Apr 13, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #14 of 33
There really shouldn't be a problem. I used to carry my radio-controlled racing cars and all its supporting gear (which includes a big power supply unit and a charger... surely they would look interesting under the x-ray scanner) along with in my checked-in luggage all the time, no problems so far.

Wrap the headphones with bubble wrap, put the headphones in a hard case (a large lunch box or something) and stuff it with foam peanuts (or other impact-absorbent things), if you're concerned about breakage.

Apr 13, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never have..fearing airport security mite give trouble over the full size amp.

or the headphones mite break.

what are your experiences?

I moved to Taipei in December. I brought a pair of HD650s, D5000s and ESW9s along with my Grace m902. They were all securely packed in my carry-on suitcase and I had no problems whatsoever. I would advise against packing them in a suitcase or container that leaves your custody during the trip. There's no telling what might happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back