Do you think wearing full-size headphones in public makes you look like a spaz/geek/weirdo?
Sep 16, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #183 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the amount of vanity on head-fi, particularly in relation to what people won't even consider wearing infront of anyone, is disgusting

I don't know if I would say disgusting, but I do agree that it is very unfortunate. There is something very strange about judging a device on a basis that has nothing to do with the device's function.

I don't buy paintings because they smell good. I don't buy fountain pens to use them as sticks with a drum kit. I don't buy headphones because of what they look like.

I am constantly apalled when I read product reviews of headphones or music players in which judgements about SQ are relegated to 20 or 30 words at the bottom of the article. It seems that color assortment, how the buttons feel, and how shiny the finish is are all far more important than sound.

Sigh.

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #184 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if I would say disgusting, but I do agree that it is very unfortunate. There is something very strange about judging a device on a basis that has nothing to do with the device's function.

I don't buy paintings because they smell good. I don't buy fountain pens to use them as sticks with a drum kit. I don't buy headphones because of what they look like.

I am constantly apalled when I read product reviews of headphones or music players in which judgements about SQ are relegated to 20 or 30 words at the bottom of the article. It seems that color assortment, how the buttons feel, and how shiny the finish is are all far more important than sound.

Sigh.

In that case u ll love HD280 ... other than Great SQ for closed they look horrible.

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #185 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I see closed cans out in public, I think: "Ah, an aficionado".

When I see open cans being used while on the bus, I think: "Ah, an idiot".

Don't be that guy or girl.

[looks at 325i hanging around my neck]

uh oh.

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #186 of 270
Nothin like sitting around in public quietly listening to a pair of glistening K701's to get a little attention...
k701smile.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #187 of 270
Yes, I do think it makes you look like a spaz/geek/weirdo.

But I don't think looking like a spaz/geek/weirdo is a bad thing.

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #188 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by milagu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothin like sitting around in public quietly listening to a pair of glistening K701's to get a little attention...
k701smile.gif

I used to do that all the time!
people would ask "why do you have miniature toilet bowls on your head?"
and I usually beat them up and take their lunch money

Sep 16, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #189 of 270
Yes, it's a big time geek move to wear full size headphones in public, especially for those of us who ought to know better!

Sep 16, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #190 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it's a big time geek move to wear full size headphones in public, especially for those of us who ought to know better!

Yes, but is that a bad thing?

From the classic Hollywood film, Wall Geek:

"Geek is good." -- Gordon Geeko.

Edit: Dear God, somebody stop me before I pun again!

Sep 16, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #192 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sigh.

How about if the Painting smelled like poo or the headphone was shaped like a giant buttock all for the sake of the sound. I'm just making an inverse example to illustrate that you can't really contain things absolutely. How about a car that gets you from point A to B with amazing ease but it's shaped like a giant penis for aerodynamics? I'm sorry for these sick examples.
tongue.gif

Anyway, I love how my RS-1's look just as much as I love how they sound. They do look a little ridiculous on me but I have wore them in public a few times simply because I don't give a crap. It's usually my SR-225's. When they are off my ears, I can admire their looks but when I have them on, their sound.. As long as I don't look in the mirror I'm fine.
smily_headphones1.gif

And remember, those reviews you mentioned are not from audiophiles so it's expected.

Sep 16, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #193 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by outmatch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Somehow, I imagine having a L3000G on my head while sipping hot coffee in a nice coffee shop can actually look great.

L3000 would look great with a bentley as well
wink.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #195 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvessel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about if the Painting smelled like poo or the headphone was shaped like a giant buttock all for the sake of the sound. I'm just making an inverse example to illustrate that you can't really contain things absolutely. How about a car that gets you from point A to B with amazing ease but it's shaped like a giant penis for aerodynamics? I'm sorry for these sick examples.
tongue.gif

Well, for openers, I wouldn't crash that car into those headphones.
biggrin.gif

Of course I was exaggerating to make my point. But I think that most people really don't care about sound at all, and that's what bugs me. In other words, they would take terrible sounding, great-looking phones over awesome-sounding, O.K. looking phones, every time.

This is going to sound elitist (because it is elitest), but I do think that mass-market acceptance degrades just about anything. Before headphones became a fashion accessory, they looked like headphones. No hot colors, no Zwarovsky freaking diamels, no behind-the-neck headbands so as not to muss one's $200 haircut. Now that mouth breathers snap up $5 earbuds by the gazillions, the average phone looks cool, sounds awful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvessel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And remember, those reviews you mentioned are not from audiophiles so it's expected.

That's true. If I stuck to Stereophile, 6 Moons, etc, I could completely avoid the problem. I just like to complain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back