Do you think Apple will ever improve sound quality?
Nov 25, 2008 at 7:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

TK31

New Head-Fier
Hi there. I just recently ordered an ipod nano 8gb. Its awesome in almost every aspect. the shake to shuffle, downloadable games, cover flow etc. But the one thing that extremely disappoints me, and makes me want to refund (cant coz i had it engraved) is the sound quality. It is absolute ****. I had an Ipod Nano 1st gen, and the sound quality was also shocking, compared to other players, ive mostly used walkman phones and IRivers. Obviously, Apple has no intention of improving sound quality, coz its been three years i think between 1st gen and 4th gen. Heavy bass breakbeat songs are mostly distortion which is basically 99.9% of my music library lol.

Will they ever think of improving quality? Or will they continue to produce music players that can barely play music.

Nov 25, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #2 of 54
I didnt try ipod's different eq settings(bass boost etc..)but i think that in flat eq it sounds really good, even more than the cowon players(believe it but its true, at least for my opinion!).

i bought the ipod originally to pair it with my ultra micro amp(the ipod has a line out) but until my "sik"line out adapter comes,im using it with its regular phones jack and it sounds really great on flat eq.

Nov 25, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #3 of 54
the ipod 5 and 5.5g were very good in terms of sound quality. I for one agree that sound quality went down with the 4g, so much to the point that I dislike it and will sell it despite it being nice for everything else.

Nov 25, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #4 of 54
iPods have a very good DAC but a very bad Amp.

try using a Line out Dock and pass the signal through an external portable amp.

Nov 25, 2008 at 8:51 AM Post #5 of 54
-----------Repeat Post------------

Internet undergoing hiccups

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 54
Apple has the vast majority of the portable music player market - so much so that DAP's have because synonymous with Ipod's (how many times have people asked about your "iPod", when it was a Cowon/ iRiver / Zune /etc?). They don't have to have a superior sounding player, but their competition does. I don't think it will substantially change unless they lose a large amount of market share.

Personally, I'd like to see that happen - not because I hate Apple, but because real competition is always a win for consumers.

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #7 of 54
3 hours after I bought the ipod touch, I ran to the store to get a refund. Sorry but awfull sound quality with no eq settings...its a good piece of electronic to impress friends though...thats just about what it does the best...
frown.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #8 of 54
For the iPod Touch , switching off the Equalizer gives astonishing results !
regular_smile .gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #9 of 54
I'm sorry but I disagree, I have three ipods,a nano, touch and a mini. I love them all. I wish I could get another. Ya'll must be using the cheap earplugs that came with them or not using a amp to go along with it. I have LOD coming out of all of them then running thru Little Dot headphone amps and then great headphones. By the time the sound gets to my ears its pure bliss!!!!!!!! IMHO

David

Nov 26, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #10 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefighter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3 hours after I bought the ipod touch, I ran to the store to get a refund. Sorry but awfull sound quality with no eq settings...its a good piece of electronic to impress friends though...thats just about what it does the best...
frown.gif

you need to learn how to describe SQ before babbling on your thoughts

Nov 26, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #11 of 54
That sounds like the amp is clipping when playing bass. You could try a more efficient headphone or one with a better impedance match. You could also try an external amp. What headphones are you using, by the way?

Nov 26, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #12 of 54
If you want Apple to focus more on SQ, send them feedback (I need here to find the appropriate link for iPod feedback). If a lot of people do it, then they'll seriously take notice.

Nov 26, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #13 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by TK31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there. I just recently ordered an ipod nano 8gb. Its awesome in almost every aspect. the shake to shuffle, downloadable games, cover flow etc. But the one thing that extremely disappoints me, and makes me want to refund (cant coz i had it engraved) is the sound quality. It is absolute ****. I had an Ipod Nano 1st gen, and the sound quality was also shocking, compared to other players, ive mostly used walkman phones and IRivers. Obviously, Apple has no intention of improving sound quality, coz its been three years i think between 1st gen and 4th gen. Heavy bass breakbeat songs are mostly distortion which is basically 99.9% of my music library lol.

Will they ever think of improving quality? Or will they continue to produce music players that can barely play music.

get a line out dock and amp and the ipod will be the best media player out there except for the other line out players around but there are a very minimal amount

Nov 26, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #14 of 54
I thought the general consensus was that the new line of apple players,(touch 2G, Nano) actually sound decent/above average for non-EQ listening?
I haven't heard many complaints about the new players although of course their older ones are another story..(besides the classic 5.5 and I think it was the 1g shuffle)

Nov 26, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #15 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by bear7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry but I disagree, I have three ipods,a nano, touch and a mini. I love them all. I wish I could get another. Ya'll must be using the cheap earplugs that came with them or not using a amp to go along with it. I have LOD coming out of all of them then running thru Little Dot headphone amps and then great headphones. By the time the sound gets to my ears its pure bliss!!!!!!!! IMHO

David

you love them all because you are bypassing the internal amp. i think the OP is talking about the headphone out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back