Do you think Apple will ever improve sound quality?
Nov 26, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #31 of 54
NO. because look at who they market to. TEENAGERS, ADULTS, many of which don't give a rats ass about sound quality.

Nov 26, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #32 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NO. because look at who they market to. TEENAGERS, ADULTS, many of which don't give a rats ass about sound quality.

So I guess all the true audiophiles are children and the elderly?
confused_face.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 10:16 AM Post #35 of 54
It never ceases to amaze me how true ipod-lovers are willing to destroy the ipods unique selling point, the form factor, by carrying around an amp, while there are lots of DAPs from f.i. Cowon and Sony that sound really fine without an amp.

Nov 26, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #38 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There's a technical reason why the iPod isn't working well for the OP. iPods go light on the amp section to conserve power and give a longer battery life. The audio output is quite good, however, you have to use a very efficient driver with it. If you do that, sound quality is pretty good. Likewise, using proper amplification for heavier loads produces good sound quality.

This is the equivalent of trying to pull a fifth wheel with a moped, then pissing and whining that the moped is crap.

Nov 26, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #39 of 54
I've owned a 5.5G for some time now, used it with an amp 90% of the time. It's not the smallest DAP out there by any means so I didn't feel like destroying iPod's "unique selling point" by strapping an amp to its back. Besides, I must say, it sounded pretty damn good with external amplification. On the other hand, I wanted to cry every time I listened to it without an amp.

I ended up buying a D2, and even though NOW I feel like I'm destroying one of the selling point of this DAP, I again must say, that it sounds amazing. iPod with an amp sounds more even, but a D2 with an amp sounds exciting. So I end up leaving my iPod on the shelf most of the time.

Nov 26, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #40 of 54
IT WILL NEVER END
tongue_smile.gif
Ipods have a good output, it's just flat/neutral. The older ipods had bass roll-off with low imp. cans. The new ones don't, but there still very neutral and a very low noise floor. They sound great with the right cans and fantastic with a good amp. Just don't use the eq for God sakes! Unless it's rock boxed. If Apple included the eq suite that rockbox has on the stock ipods, people would go nuts about the sound.

The new ipods have tested the highest ever on PC world's audio analyzer, and that includes sonys and cowons, iriver, zunes, samsungs, creative ect. ect.. And yes, I trust a 10.000 dollar pro audio analyzer and test suite more than us doing RMMA tests through our various sound cards.
biggrin.gif

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/produ...ipod_nano.html
http://www.pcworld.com/article/122812/how_we_test.html

Nov 26, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #41 of 54
Hopefully! I don't have high hopes though, since the iPod's sell in the millions as they are now..

Nov 26, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #42 of 54
Think about this. Have you ever seen a musician or artist using anything else but an ipod? Like for example the pacemaker? No you have not.

SQ is only crap if you like that booming bass that completely muddies the midrange and even penetrates all the way to the highs. The ipods bass is just a fast, accurate snap that leaves the mid and highs intact.

Nov 26, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #43 of 54
The original post looks quite suspicious to me. Look, OP enters the same day he started the thread. His first and the only post here is "iPod is .... ", no more posts were made. The post itself is very provocative "... music players that can barely play music... ". No head-fi language was used, no head-fi tolerance was shown, no real question was asked. Nothing. Just the plain instigation with obvious goal to start the flame on iPod. And he succeeded.

Nov 26, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #44 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meta-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I guess all the true audiophiles are children and the elderly?
confused_face.gif

I think thats what Elluzion is saying and I think he could be right- my grandmother just shelled out several hundred pounds for some kind of state of the art ear piece. No wires or anything, it must be bluetooth. And she's always got it in when I go round.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back