Do you secretly respect Beats?
Mar 12, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #121 of 338
Quote:
This is why Macs make wonderful laptops. Laptops don't need to do many intensive things, but rather benefit from simplicity of use and cripsness. I personally swear by my custom built PC computers, but I'm considering getting a mac laptop (I had one in the past) because it's easy to deal with.

Good screen that's properly calibrated = Less eyestrain
Better keyboard and touchpad ergonomics = Less strain on wrists and fingers
Decent heat dissipation for internal hardware = More comfortable sustained typing sessions

All of which can be applied to all laptop/notebook personal computers, not just the Macbook. Most brands focus on less meaningful specs, such as >4GB of RAM, >500GB hard drive space, and excessively fast CPUs which aren't even paired with decent video cards. Most people don't even need these features, but instead want an easy and comfortable to use laptop that they can use for word processing or web-surfing. Netbooks will never provide the above due to their purposely deficient product design. They're meant to be built cheaply, sold cheaply, and perform cheaply.

Pair all these three characteristics with even a Fusion APU and soon people would be lining up to buy the laptops. I in no way believe that the pricing for Apple's Macbooks are justified, as even Vaio laptops (which IMO are way overpriced) for less can beat them overall. I have a feeling a lot of what Apple customers pay go towards tech support, as it's much cheaper to outsource that line of business, and the software itself, much of which is developed in-house (gotta feed them programmers).

What Apple offers beyond these three advantages is its integrated hardware/software platform that provides a far more intuitive and instant experience than those from other vendors.

If I was given a choice between a Macbook and a Thinkpad (pre-Lenovo era) though, I'd pick the Thinkpad for purely aesthetic reasons. Oh, and the matte screen.

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #122 of 338
I can honestly say I never bought into the Beats hype.  I will say though, there was a time when I thought Bose was the best in the business.  Thankfully I found this forum and all is now right in my world.

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #123 of 338

Quote:
I can honestly say I never bought into the Beats hype.  I will say though, there was a time when I thought Bose was the best in the business.  Thankfully I found this forum and all is now right in my world.

Me too. I used to think that Bose was the gold standard. It was very surprising to find out that they've been derided by audiophiles for decades.

Mar 12, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #124 of 338
Good screen that's properly calibrated = Less eyestrain
Better keyboard and touchpad ergonomics = Less strain on wrists and fingers
Decent heat dissipation for internal hardware = More comfortable sustained typing sessions

All of which can be applied to all laptop/notebook personal computers, not just the Macbook. Most brands focus on less meaningful specs, such as >4GB of RAM, >500GB hard drive space, and excessively fast CPUs which aren't even paired with decent video cards. Most people don't even need these features, but instead want an easy and comfortable to use laptop that they can use for word processing or web-surfing. Netbooks will never provide the above due to their purposely deficient product design. They're meant to be built cheaply, sold cheaply, and perform cheaply.

Pair all these three characteristics with even a Fusion APU and soon people would be lining up to buy the laptops. I in no way believe that the pricing for Apple's Macbooks are justified, as even Vaio laptops (which IMO are way overpriced) for less can beat them overall. I have a feeling a lot of what Apple customers pay go towards tech support, as it's much cheaper to outsource that line of business, and the software itself, much of which is developed in-house (gotta feed them programmers).

What Apple offers beyond these three advantages is its integrated hardware/software platform that provides a far more intuitive and instant experience than those from other vendors.

If I was given a choice between a Macbook and a Thinkpad (pre-Lenovo era) though, I'd pick the Thinkpad for purely aesthetic reasons. Oh, and the matte screen.

I know some about Thinkpads and I definitely see the advantages, but in terms of aesthetics they are just ugly.

Mar 12, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #125 of 338
Beats certainly got me to this forum 3 days ago.  Was surprised how crappy the sound was and decided to look for more options.  Amazon was no help, so I kept searching and found head-fi.org.  Its only been 3 days and im sealing purchases on HD600, Denon AH-D2000, Grado 225, and possibly AKG701's/Beyerdynamics DT990's.  I also never heard of amps or DAC's before and I already have a few on order.  My wallet must hate me :frowning2:

Mar 12, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #127 of 338

Quote:
Beats certainly got me to this forum 3 days ago.  Was surprised how crappy the sound was and decided to look for more options.  Amazon was no help, so I kept searching and found head-fi.org.  Its only been 3 days and im sealing purchases on HD600, Denon AH-D2000, Grado 225, and possibly AKG701's/Beyerdynamics DT990's.  I also never heard of amps or DAC's before and I already have a few on order.  My wallet must hate me :frowning2:

That's really overkill. You must have money to burn. Why not just go directly to trying higher quality cans if you're spending that much? Seems like the forum didn't really help you much if you just went out and bought them all.

Mar 12, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #128 of 338

Quote:
That's really overkill. You must have money to burn. Why not just go directly to trying higher quality cans if you're spending that much? Seems like the forum didn't really help you much if you just went out and bought them all.

well he might just be testing some and return the ones he dislikes.  I did a similar thing (though not to that extent), words on a web page are not the easiest way to find the sound you like.

Mar 12, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #129 of 338

Quote:
well he might just be testing some and return the ones he dislikes.  I did a similar thing (though not to that extent), words on a web page are not the easiest way to find the sound you like.

Yup, hopefully. But buying so much equipment all at once doesn't really give them a chance for a proper test run if he's really serious about testing for a while. Let's hope for the best for this guy.
biggrin.gif

I kinda got the feeling from his post that he just wants them all now lol.

Mar 12, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #130 of 338
beats brought me here and i still bought them :p i got em for looks, the studios sound ok but yes a rip off for the price hence why i did a lot of research and searching to find almost new condition pairs for 1/3 the price. im a sucker for celebrity endorsement. but really i find that they do look good, one of the same guys who designed for apple designed these and im a big fan of apple's design philosophy, and being a graphic designer means i gotta wear expensive crap.

Mar 12, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #131 of 338
I actually respect that they're making it tolerable to the public's eyes to spend $300 on headphones and if even 1% of those people come here and feel ok to spend hundreds/thousands more in the pursuit of better listening, we can only thank Monster for that.

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #132 of 338
I respect Beats the same way I respect Apple. I respect them for their ability to get away with selling stuff for 3x the actual value of the item they are selling (you mac users can hate for this but that's just my personal view). THat said I give Beats credit for leading me into the audiophile world (I'm still quite a nooby but ya gotta start somewhere).

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #133 of 338
heres a question, i would like a pair of headphones for running, currently im on the solo hd's (they were really cheap and not fake ok, as i mentioned im a sucker for design and hype), any out there that can match the aesthetics of the beats? i have yet to see one. thanks :D

Mar 12, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #134 of 338

Quote:
I know some about Thinkpads and I definitely see the advantages, but in terms of aesthetics they are just ugly.

To each his own, I guess. My dad's been using Thinkpads since the early 90s and he shares your opinion. I just think that they look awesome.

Quote:
heres a question, i would like a pair of headphones for running, currently im on the solo hd's (they were really cheap and not fake ok, as i mentioned im a sucker for design and hype), any out there that can match the aesthetics of the beats? i have yet to see one. thanks :D

If you compare them with other headphones in the same price range, you'll find their design quite garish. Not sure if the Crossfade LP or M80s are your style.

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #135 of 338

Quote:

HD25 Adidas or Amperior, V-moda M80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back