Do you really need multi headphones when you buy a statement headphone
Sep 15, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevM2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer having multiple headphones. When I want something more intense and upforward, I use Grados. When it's late at night or I'm trying to study and I need something more mellow, I go to the Senns. Ultimately, how the music sounds to my ears is what is most important. It'd be harder for me to care less about technicality. The Grado SR80s honestly get more time on my ears than the HD600s.

Kevm2,

I have read almost all your posts in the past,regarding the laidback vocals on the hd 600.I had the same problem with my hd 600(with hd 600/650 cable),but finally i came to the conclusion that it's a matter of synergy between the headphones/source/cables/amps.

I have tried the hd 600 out of some setups and the vocals were a bit too back and uninvolving.
With my x van v8 or the grace m902,the sound is just fine,and vocals are fine too.
If you power properly your hd 600,you should have a good sound that is lively(not boring)and have this nice smoothness which sennheiser headphones are famous for.

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
food / shelter / hd800's

LOL the bit that John left out was:

b22/buf32s/non-complaining wife

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #33 of 42
High price tag does not mean that the headphone is perfect for all kind of music and situations.
Some do well with acoustic music, others do well with electronic music, ...

The word "need" is also important. I guess few of us really 'need' a single headphone in the first place. It is just convenient. Just like there may be convenient to have more than one.

Enjoy!
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #34 of 42
Oh no, you need several pairs of headphones. You have to switch up and compare. It keeps you from getting bored and it's always fun to listen to different presentations of your favorite music.

Same goes for amps and having a variety of sources and formats.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #36 of 42
Need? No. Want? Yes.

Just because you have the R10 doesn't mean you won't enjoy the HE90, or vice versa.

Think about it. Lots of people build collections of headphones at the lower and middle price ranges and nobody thinks twice about their consumer behavior. If someone had the HD650 and RS-1, that's Ok. Yet, if that same person had the HD800 and PS-1000, that's not Ok? Nothing about that logic makes sense to me.

Sep 16, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #37 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Need? No. Want? Yes.

Just because you have the R10 doesn't mean you won't enjoy the HE90, or vice versa.

Think about it. Lots of people build collections of headphones at the lower and middle price ranges and nobody thinks twice about their consumer behavior. If someone had the HD650 and RS-1, that's Ok. Yet, if that same person had the HD800 and PS-1000, that's not Ok? Nothing about that logic makes sense to me.

Well, assuming that hi-fi is just that - the search for the highest fidelity, most accurate reproduction of music (which it admittedly isn't for many people) than a headphone is better if it is closer to live - neutral, transparent, fast, large and exact in soundstage, etc. In the case of the 650 and RS-1 neither is too close to neutral (although the 650's are a bit better in that regard) so it's easier to justify both. However, in the case of the HD800 and some other top tier phones, you get very close to neutral so the reason to buy multiple pairs is minimized. Now of course, if you want to have a certain "voicing" then you will wind up with multiple pairs, it just depends on your wants and needs.

Sep 16, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #38 of 42
I wanna ask something a bit off topic,is there anyone here who believes that the hd 600,out of top class gear,is the better dynamic headphone ever made(no matter what price)I've seen in the past(correct me if i'm wrong)that a headphone amp manufacturer uses hd 600 as the reference can to build his amps
confused_face_2.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by john53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wanna ask something a bit off topic,is there anyone here who believes that the hd 600,out of top class gear,is the better dynamic headphone ever made(no matter what price)I've seen in the past(correct me if i'm wrong)that a headphone amp manufacturer uses hd 600 as the reference can to build his amps
confused_face_2.gif

I'm sure there *is* a headamp manufacturer using the HD600 as his reference cans - I don't see how that makes them 'the better dynamic headphone ever made' ?? There are so many claims and counter-claims on that whole 'most neutral/best reference cans' thing that I've completely given up, but then I prefer a darker, bassier sound than most on Head-Fi, fwir. For me, the best dynamic headphones will always be the cans that give me that 'wow !' moment, not the cans that let me hear various artefacts that I havent heard before : again, that may be a minority POV on Head-Fi.

Sep 16, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

confused_face_2.gif

Ti Kan (AMB) uses it as a reference for designing his amps:

Ti Kan's Web Site

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

confused_face_2.gif

One headphone amplifier using it as his/her reference headphone does not mean it is the better dynamic headphone ever made. Just that he/her probably really like its sound signature.

I find the HD600 to be quite nice, but I can name others I like more.

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One headphone amplifier using it as his/her reference headphone does not mean it is the better dynamic headphone ever made. Just that he/her probably really like its sound signature.

I find the HD600 to be quite nice, but I can name others I like more.

Yes,of course you are right.I personally liked the 800 more than my 600's for example.

I did a search and found that it's RSA(Ray Samuels)who uses the hd 600 for designing the amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back