Do you really need a DAC as well as an Amp for high impedance headphones (DT-880)?
Dec 17, 2017 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

coscocattell

New Head-Fier
I've was given a pair of DT-880 600 ohm headphones a while ago. They work fine with my amp at home but not so good when I'm travelling with just my laptop. I was thinking of getting the Objective2 Amp to power them. But a lot of people are saying to get the ODAC with it. I don't want to do this because the ODAC has to be plugged in and it costs an extra $150 or so.

So how would the headphones perform with just the Objective2 Amp? Or are there any better battery/rechargeable Amps in the same price range I should consider?

Thanks!

Dec 17, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #2 of 4
I've was given a pair of DT-880 600 ohm headphones a while ago. They work fine with my amp at home but not so good when I'm travelling with just my laptop. I was thinking of getting the Objective2 Amp to power them. But a lot of people are saying to get the ODAC with it. I don't want to do this because the ODAC has to be plugged in and it costs an extra $150 or so.

So how would the headphones perform with just the Objective2 Amp? Or are there any better battery/rechargeable Amps in the same price range I should consider?

The ODAC can provide a cleaner line signal to the O2 amp stage. If you'd prefer battery power there are other options:

1. Separate O2 and ODAC. You bring two boxes and two AC adapters for charging but they each have their own battery and can run without the chargers plugged into the wall.

2. JDS Labs C5D

3. Ibasso D14

4. Ibasso D42

5. Fiio Q1 MkII

Dec 18, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks!

As the DT880 are open headphones, we can assume you have no need to block out side noise, when traveling with the laptop?
Maybe buy some Audio Technica ATH-WS99 headphones for traveling?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/audio-tech...933670&hash=item4b2e0c6096:g:xvEAAOSwICpaE7U3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back