Do you prefer "fun" headphones or "reference" headphones?
Apr 25, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #31 of 213
it is a fact that many people dislike the accurate sound and prefer coloured sound. also many who do like the flat response to some extent still reffering to the coloured sound as "Fun"...imo,this must say something about the way most people like their sound and their music.
sometimes i think that genres like metal and electronice are supposed to be "coloured" to some extent...that's the way they meant to be heard, and other genres such as classical supposed to be heard in more flat/accurate system.

imo,you have to love a flat sound in order to listen to it,there is just no point in suffering for the sake of science...

Apr 25, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #32 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soaa- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer flat response. I like to hear the music's characteristics, not the headphones'. Perhaps you should add a poll?

You sound like a DT48 candidate. 'Fun' lies in the music, not the headphone. You want a headphone that disappears and gets out of the musics way. Some want to hear the headphone more then the music, and thats fine too.

Apr 25, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #33 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You sound like a DT48 candidate. 'Fun' lies in the music, not the headphone. You want a headphone that disappears and gets out of the musics way. Some want to hear the headphone more then the music, and thats fine too.

Have you found something close to the DT48 without isolation? I'm not a huge fan of isolation because I have surgery and infection related tinnitus that I can hear if I wear closed cans.

Apr 25, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #34 of 213
I don't want headphones to add "fun" I just want them to not take it away.

That may sound silly, but it doesn't seem to be very easy to do, because very few headphones sound like music. Most sound like headphones trying to reproduce music. Which sadly, often sound like headphones failing to capture the subtle and complex beauty of music.

I also like the same headhones for every genre, and haven't once in my life thought that a song would be better on one headphone than another. If one song sounds good on a pair of phones, then they all do, IME. Genre specific phones happens when the headphones are adding a lot of their own character, which only works with some music.

Apr 25, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #35 of 213
The problem with colored (or "fun") headphones is that you get sick of them after awhile. You might love them at first, then you get used to them, then you burn out, then you decide that what you really need is a more expensive pair of colored headphones.

Lather, rinse, repeat. It's the same thing as getting sick of a favorite song or eating the same meal so many times you don't like it any longer.

Though the "analytical" and "accurate" headphones don't immediately grab you and cause you to fall in love, you don't burn out on them. Instead of being hooked on the coloration, you stop worrying about it and instead focus on the music.

Most people here make impulse buys (yes, even after a lot of research) and go nuts over a brief listen at a meet.

But (I think) I've settled in and haven't bought any audio gear for about a year. I'm still going to finish building several amps I have the parts for, but am thoroughly happy with my mostly accurate gear and have instead been adding to the music collection.

Apr 25, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #36 of 213
I would pick the "Reference" one - without a doubt. Which may just happen to be "Fun" as well.

Apr 25, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #37 of 213
I'll take fun. That's the reason I kept my RS1 and sold my modded HD580. I use the RS1 exclusively for music and AD700 for movies/gaming.

Apr 25, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #38 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't want headphones to add "fun" I just want them to not take it away.

That may sound silly, but it doesn't seem to be very easy to do, because very few headphones sound like music. Most sound like headphones trying to reproduce music. Which sadly, often sound like headphones failing to capture the subtle and complex beauty of music.

I also like the same headhones for every genre, and haven't once in my life thought that a song would be better on one headphone than another. If one song sounds good on a pair of phones, then they all do, IME. Genre specific phones happens when the headphones are adding a lot of their own character, which only works with some music.

x2 at the end of the day headphones are a form of sound reproduction, it's meant to give you the closest experience to listening to the musician live. I was wondering around the high streets of my town yesterday and randomly stopped to listen to a street jazz band performing live. I have to say the kind of sounds I experienced was much better than music from a pair of headphones. So IMO, a good headphones is the one that gives you the closest-to-live experience not changing it. I have never head a pair of K702 or HD650 so please correct me if I'm wrong.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #40 of 213
Is it not that it depends on the occasion?

When I'm walking in a street and listen to some music that helps me keep my pace I would prefer the music to be sounding 'fun' so that it is engaging and makes me keep my pace.

On the other hand when I get home and want to listen in the solitude of my listening room I want the headphone to be accurate so I can hear and dissect every note - I have the time there to concentrate on those notes.

Unfortunately I do not own a headphone that would be a reference one, but still trying to gather funds to get one.

Just my 2c

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #41 of 213
i have a beyer dt880 250 ohm which i have grown to love over the span of a year. i guess this is a reference can more than a fun one. i've managed to hold on to it, and i've sold off a grado sr60 and an alessandro ms2i in that time period
biggrin.gif

i recently purchased a dt 990 600 ohm, and it's a real fun can and i'm loving it. so right now i probably belong to the camp that wants to keep one of each...

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #42 of 213
For me "fun" and "reference" 'phones coexist . When I get fed up with colored sound , switch to my k702 and is like hearing them for the first time , well I guess I like transitions.
If I would have to choose one, it would be reference(coloration free) phone.

Apr 25, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #45 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You sound like a DT48 candidate. 'Fun' lies in the music, not the headphone.

Couldn't agree more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back