Do you own something old that you're proud of?
Jun 24, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #16 of 50
Not something owned by me, but remind me of a story by my dad during the vietnam war. When south troops came into one of the town for provision there were gold for looting. He was a mayor, he told his men not to take any or he'll shoot them himself. The only thing he found and kept was a small wooden cross. When the communist counter attacked, one of the other officer has so much gold in his backpack and got shot down from the helicopter with the gold falling out. My dad still has the cross till this day and intend to be buried with it.

Jun 24, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #17 of 50
Not that old, but I do have the "in-betweener" Super Nintendo system that came out for a short period of time between the regular SNES and the N64. It's the one you don't have to press a button to remove the cartridge with. I don't think anyone else I know has that version. Nothing special, but I like it
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #20 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not something owned by me, but remind me of a story by my dad during the vietnam war. When south troops came into one of the town for provision there were gold for looting. He was a mayor, he told his men not to take any or he'll shoot them himself. The only thing he found and kept was a small wooden cross. When the communist counter attacked, one of the other officer has so much gold in his backpack and got shot down from the helicopter with the gold falling out. My dad still has the cross till this day and intend to be buried with it.

That's a great story. I wish I would have left my pictures out and stuck with my grandfather's and great uncle's medals.

Jun 24, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #22 of 50
Not the oldest thing I own [my oldest are 18th century], but it's a bit of family history and I'm proud of it:

My uncle's retirement watch, made for the wrist, and it fits me about 3/4's the way to the elbow. This particular uncle was mighty - according to my dad, he once lifted a Packard off some people who were pinned underneath after a car crash. My dad suggested that I have some links taken out of the band, but I would not hear of it.

Laz

Jun 24, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #23 of 50
I've got a Creedmoor Bank made in the late 1800s that belonged to my great grandfather. It has a rifleman aiming at a tree. You can put a coin on his rifle, pull back a little springloaded lever, and press his foot to fire the coin into the slot in the hollow tree. The paint is mostly worn off and the springs are no good anymore, but it's still a very neat piece.

Jun 25, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #24 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalManCPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a 1983 Suzuki FA-50 moped that I thoroughly enjoy. Sure it only tops out at 25mph, but Mr. Can't Fix It here actually has changed the brakes, the suspension, and the muffler amoungst other small items. It has 1,800 miles on it, but it looks sharp and pretty new.

The only uncomfortable feeling I get is when I'm taking a ride and a motorcycle passes me and gives me the motorcycle wave/greeting. Here I am on this little moped and a Harley zooms by waving.

83 is old? i think it's time for me to roll over and die now
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #25 of 50
oh, i forgot i have one; my grandfather worked at GM in flint michigan all his life and he made and designed tools; we have a couple briefcases full of some really heavy duty tools that were his

Jun 25, 2007 at 8:23 AM Post #27 of 50
Do I own something old that I'm proud of?

Well I do have an old family Windows 3.1 PC that I pulled apart... Not really proud of it. I'm not really old enough to own something old :p

Jun 25, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #30 of 50
My parents are collectors - used to be antique dealers & I have quite a lot of "old things" that have been handed down within my family. One of my favorites is a doll that my parents gave to me & identical ones to my two sisters. The doll is encased in a wooden box that my Dad made. She is dressed in a wedding gown that my mother made for her. The dress is a replica of my mother's wedding gown. When I was young my parents lost almost everything in a house fire. My Mom's wedding gown was salvaged but badly burned in places. So she took what was left of her gown & made doll sized replicas of it. She gave each of us one of these on my parents' 50th wedding aniversay! Was such a surprise to receive a gift from my parents on their aniversary. But what a special gift to have & to one day hand down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back