Do you own something old that you're proud of?
Jun 24, 2007 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

MetalManCPA

500+ Head-Fier
I have a 1983 Suzuki FA-50 moped that I thoroughly enjoy. Sure it only tops out at 25mph, but Mr. Can't Fix It here actually has changed the brakes, the suspension, and the muffler amoungst other small items. It has 1,800 miles on it, but it looks sharp and pretty new.

The only uncomfortable feeling I get is when I'm taking a ride and a motorcycle passes me and gives me the motorcycle wave/greeting. Here I am on this little moped and a Harley zooms by waving.

Jun 24, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 50
My late Grandpa's service medals from WWII. He never cared one damn for them, just for his shipmates. Because of who he was, they mean a whole lot to me.

[EDIT] Oh, and Metal, I used to get the same thing while riding my 50cc 1983 Vespa PK50. Top speed 55km/hr. Powder blue. Miss that little POS.

Jun 24, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 50
I found a 2" cross that was broken and worn thin with the metal tarnished. I was young and starting my adult life. I keep it with me in my auto and pray on it often. I own things that are quite a bit more valuable but this is my dearest treasure as I believe my master meant it as a lesson thru life. It continues to serve me well.

Jun 24, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 50
Two Firearms, both have a story....C&P these from another website I frequent - these are favorites of mine:

Rifle, it would have to be A .32 Winchester Special - here's why: When I asked him for his Daughter's Hand in Marriage, my (soon to be) Father-in-Law, said, with a twinkle in his eye "Wait here". He went back in the house, and after a time, came out with a double armload of weapons! He said: "You'll be needing these": He handed them each over to me with a little tale of how he got it, and his and its history together. Among the weapons, there was this hard-used Winchester Lever action, Octagonal Barrelled rifle, a model 94, in 32 Win SPL...it had, he explained, been his father's and his favorite gun. On the stock, it had impressions of case mouths - so many it looked like fishscales partly covering one side, and nearly completely on the other! I asked what that was, and he said: The marks on this side were done by my Dad, for every Deer, Wolf, Coyote or Bear he took, and these on this side were for the ones I took. It has a stained butt, and the buttplate is rusted I noted. He said that was from a flood, back in Missouri - that is how high it got in his Father's house, a Long, Long Time ago. It is a sweet shooting gun, and I will be honored and sad to pass it on, when a boy comes and asks for my Daughter's hand... I take it out and shoot it at least twice a year, clean it, oil it, and put it away. It has the best history of any Rifle I own. I have had it for over 25 years now, and my time with it is growing short. The Daughter is in the USAF, and is 21, and "To Everything, There is a Season"...

The story for the pistol is fun, too: While I was growing up, we lived in the city, on the East Coast, and My Father chose to prevent me from learning about guns in any way. Even though he had been an avid huntsman in his youth, coming from the Appalachians in the Great Depression, and moving into the West to be a powder monkey for Anaconda Mines in Wyoming/Colorado, he didn't feel safe having a gun in amongst all the people of the city, and he was working long hours - he didn't think we should have one around.

But upon the occasion of my Graduation from the United States Merchant Marine Academy/Commission into the U.S. Navy, he gave me a very special gift: He presented me with an Officer's sidearm: (He had been enlisted in the USAF) - A Colt Combat Commander Hardslide, Engraved. He had had it worked over by a famous (among Navy SEALS) Gunsmith/Inventor/Armorer, Art Langeth. Art worked the trigger sear so that it "breaks like glass", gave it a "ramp job" and jewelled the outside of the chamber to be pretty. The .45 was presented in a hand-tooled leather case, made by my Mother and by my two Brothers, with the Colt Logo on one side and the Symbol of my Engineering Class and Graduating Year on the other, laced by my brothers, and padded with Lamb's wool inside. Best gift from my entire Family, EVER, and I shoot it a few times a year, and remember. I don't know if I want to be buried with it, or give it to my Daughter...

Jun 24, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 50
"Do you own something old that you're proud of?"

My Wife?
icon10.gif

But seriously folks...
A 1932 GE table radio. I will see if I can get it working one of these days, but it looks really cool.

Jun 24, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #8 of 50
How could I forget my Grandfather's Hamilton all gold pocket watch.

When I was a kid visting in Florida, I would always wind the pocket watch. I loved the thing, and didn't even know anything about value. It was just a cool pocket watch.

Many many years ago he passed away. Not even thinking about it, my parents made absolutely sure I got that pocket watch.

Jun 24, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #9 of 50
3 cases of NOS tubes from my grandfathers TV repair business.

My moms uncle made a soldering iron stand out of wood and some music-wire metal stock. I use it all the time.

I have a lot of old stuff.... but these 2 are the only ones that I have a sense of pride in. When I sift through my boxes of tubes, it takes me back to the times I spent in my grandfathers garage, playing with old speaker magnets, turning the dials on all his test equipment, and just digging through all the "stuff" he had in there. I was ~10 at the time.

Jun 24, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #11 of 50
I have what I suspect is the only copy of the below 1892 flyer from my still very small, mainly farming (with many Amish) hometown. Love the language and the notes about silence and opportunity for ye young men and women.

sullivan-front.jpg

I've been meaning to scan it for archival purposes for years. Thanks for starting this thread MetalManCPA, as it finally forced me to.

Jun 24, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #12 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....every time I try to type; my eyes start to water.
frown.gif

Yeah....too much stuff.

c'mon. Give. These threads are for sharing your memories. It let's us know who you are and I must say reading them are very enjoyable.

Jun 24, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #13 of 50
My grandfather's Wittnauer war watch given to him at the end of WW2 by Field Marshall Kesselring when he surrendered, and my great uncle's Silver Strar awarded to him during the fight for the Philipines. Those two men lived through times I was lucky enough not to have to endure.

Jun 24, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #14 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
c'mon. Give. These threads are for sharing your memories. It let's us know who you are and I must say reading them are very enjoyable.

When I went in the Navy in 1962, my Uncle who lived with us all his life, since my Dad and Uncle supported their parents from about 1916 till they passed away in the mid 50s, gave me his WW2 Army shaving kit that was made by Gillette but has razor blades made by Beckley. I've never used it, but I've kept it all these years. I still have my Moms old Bulova dress watch from the 30s, and all my Dads safe worker pins from 1931 to 1958. I also have a small pair of pliers that was my Grandfathers that my Dad took with him when he thought seeing the country by train would be fun since he had already lived in America about seven years after arriving here from Italy. So he became a hobo and visited the entire country west of Illinios, then worked on freighters in the Great Lakes until the early 20s just to see America. My Dad also made one of the first car radios. The pots and stuff were up front but the works and batteries were all in the trunk. He was one of the first with "tubes rollin'" on down the road.

My Uncle was also into cinematics although it was my Dad who was a projectionist in 1916....he rode to work on his 1914 Harley. Anyway; my Uncle; who had a 1911 Indian that met its' demise when he understood that the bike wouldn't run without gas, but wasn't clear about the worth of oil. But my Uncle loved taking movies and had an 8mm Bolox and a 16mm Bell and Howell, both from the 30s and 40s and each of which I still have. My DIY subwoofer cabinet is the cabinet from our 1946 Matco home theater system. Ok; 16mm "Talkie" projector! But "home theater system" in its' most honest and traditional of applications!

....DVDs take up a lot less space than those huge 16mm reels!

We have a number of pieces of furniture that my parents bought right after they were married in the 20s, and we've had them nearly 40 years ourselves.

I do lots of research and tend to keep my stuff for a long time. My '74 Triumph Trident that I bought in late '73 still runs well and still looks great! The same with my Nikon F2a that I bought, I think, in '75 or '76. It's a 25th anniversary edition so should be easy to nail down.

I kept the barometer and compass from my first boat! And my slalom ski from the 50s/60s.(bindings rotted off long ago.)
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back