Do you own something old that you're proud of?
Jun 25, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #31 of 50
Oh I just thought of another very special "gift" my Dad gave to my sisters & I. When we were growing up my Grandmother lived several states away from us. Instead of writing letters we would send tapes back & forth. That way she could hear us kids in our own voices as we grew. My Dad was also an avid "taper" of all of our concerts/performances & other activities we were in. A few years ago he put all of his recordings onto cassette tapes for each of us. They have all of our band concerts & solo performances as well as all of the family tapes sent back & forth when we were little. Its pretty fun to go back & listen to ourselves at 3 & 4 yrs old! Kind of like an audio version of home movies! There are about 15 cassette tapes worth of memories.

Jun 25, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #34 of 50
My academic history. 'Been a grad student off and on in three different countries for over fifteen years.

I'm finishing my last paper this week. It's struck me that, degree-or-not, I've learned things that nobody else (living) knows about my subject.

My engraved print of the allegory of the life of the redeemed Christian (printed in the shop at St. Peters Basilica, London 1758) demonstrates that Our Lord is crucified on the Tree of Life whose branches hold fruits, not merely of 'righteoufneffe', but of "hardfhippe" and "buffeting". And that, to my mind, is what getting a decent grad humanities degree is like.

Jun 25, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #35 of 50
I have a home phonograph recording of my fathers parents and my fathers maternal grandfather playing music including a piece my grandfather wrote for my grandmother. THey also speak on the recording so it was a shock to hear how much my aunt, fathers sister, sounds like her mother. Her mother passed away from cancer just before my parents where married. But hearing my grandfather and great-grandfather again is always special. Needless to say I burned a CD for my aunt, brothers, and cousins.

Jun 25, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #37 of 50
Hey mrarroyo....
That Bug is the Bees Knees! I used to have a 1977 CampMobile with full-on amenities named Sweetpea, I miss her...

What do I have that is old and full of pride?
My mind. The fact that the lysergic acid diethylamide highway flowing through my synapses hasn't caused a ten car pile-up is a testament
to the resilience of the human mind.
Go Chemistry!

Jun 26, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #38 of 50
I got this baby way back when, and I STILL haven't heard it!

http://microgroove.jp/mercury/TheJazzScene.shtml

TheJazzScene_Sign_1933.png

Found it in an antiques store for pennies. All the photos and discs and etc are in great shape. I just can't play it because they're all shellacs, hehe! Fun to look at tho, and really helped spur the imagination when listening to Jazz. Currently lost in a sea of moving boxes that my folks decided to pack up when I wasn't there, baking in a garage for a few months. I fear for its life.

Jun 26, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #41 of 50
Wow! Someone else shopped Crazy Eddies! Know what became of Eddie? Ah the memories. My Koss PortaPros are 23 years old. If I still had my Lafayette headphones, they would be 30+ years by now.

I have a number of meaningful items, but to define old, I would have to say a pair of gold-rimmed spectacles belonging to my grandmother. I still keep them in their original velvet case, along with crystal and silver perfume bottle. All is from the turn of the century along with photographs of the ship them came to America on... the Pretoria. A nice piece of family history I plan to leave to one appreciative member of the family.

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #42 of 50
My wife. ... Just kidding honey ...
icon10.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #43 of 50
I have a book that was given to my grandfather in 1917 while he was in the scouts. I also have a 1922 six pence coin, nothing to be proud of, but it's kinda neat.

Jun 26, 2007 at 9:22 AM Post #45 of 50
Yes, it swings from right to left and hits me in the knees.
No, not that, I'm talking about my silver wire cables on my Koss headphones, when I,m rockin out to the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back