Do you own a vintage CD player? (pics please!)
Feb 15, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #31 of 131
Any point in the 20-bit DAC since it only plays redbook CDs?

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #32 of 131
tsunick, today a lot of people like to upsample redbook. I don't think those old ones upsampled. they just had more headroom. if I was looking for a vintage consumer player I would take any of the good ones. not be concerned with the bit rate. I think in the players we are discussing here any of them are good.

Feb 16, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #33 of 131
Feb 24, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #34 of 131
I just noticed this thread. I'll take some pictures of my Parrasound tomorrow. It is the first cd player they made, but I still use it to this day and everything works just like it did when I first got it. It was quite an audiophile player in its day. I compared it to a bunch of others before I bought it and the only thing that was better was a Luxman unit that cost about 3 times as much.

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #35 of 131
  I just noticed this thread. I'll take some pictures of my Parrasound tomorrow. It is the first cd player they made, but I still use it to this day and everything works just like it did when I first got it. It was quite an audiophile player in its day. I compared it to a bunch of others before I bought it and the only thing that was better was a Luxman unit that cost about 3 times as much.

Great stuff, look forward to that 
popcorn.gif

Feb 24, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #36 of 131
Gah. I have two vintage cd players and they are both broken. I've been waiting to post in here until I had good news, and I put the MCD 7008 in the shop to get fixed, but still no dice. New belts, new LASER, nada. Lights up, powers on, spins, no-workey. $175 later, I'm thinking of sending it to Terry Dewick for a processor reset. If one of you guys want it, PM me because I'm getting fed up.
I also have a NAD unit that I got (broken? no idea) from an uncle, but haven't ever fiddled with.

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #37 of 131
There is little written on the web about it but the ONKYO INTEGRA DX 708 and 706 are pretty sweet units.     
definitely in the same camp sonically as the Denon DCD3520 and 3560 or Sony XA20es

I guess I'll have to have proper permissions to post a PIC ,  this site is cool but the NEWBIE restrictions are pretty frickin silly.

revised- Pics added   even got a shot of a Rotel 955 in there as well. 2 for 1 :) 

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #38 of 131
  There is little written on the web about it but the ONKYO INTEGRA DX 708 and 706 are pretty sweet units.     
definitely in the same camp sonically as the Denon DCD3520 and 3560 or Sony XA20es

I guess I'll have to have proper permissions to post a PIC ,  this site is cool but the NEWBIE restrictions are pretty frickin silly.

I think its about 10 posts and then you can post your pics. Look forward to them bud and welcome! 

Yeah Onkyo is a make that never gets much attention, but they never really do anything wrong!  

Feb 25, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #39 of 131
  I think its about 10 posts and then you can post your pics. Look forward to them bud and welcome! 

Yeah Onkyo is a make that never gets much attention, but they never really do anything wrong!  

Yep,  broke my Newbie Pic post status today apparently.  No fluff posts either :)  
the included pic also shows a Rotel RCD 955 that I parted ways with last year.    another decent player for sure.

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #41 of 131

1st CD player for sale in the US, price $1000.00 when they came out.

I'm old enough to remember em. I used to want one.lol

The Phase Linear P9500 CD Player. Saw one at a thrift store for $35 but walked away. Too many belt and skipping issues.

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #42 of 131

Revox B225.  Sold it a couple of years ago.  1980's vintage.
Still an excellent player today, at least to my ears.  It was just time to move on to something newer.

Wish I'd bought it! Classic.

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #43 of 131

1st CD player for sale in the US, price $1000.00 when they came out.

Wow, that was quite a price back then. These 2 oldest cd players actually still look cool. They look much better than the standard throughout the 90's for e.g.

Feb 27, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #44 of 131
I have two Marantz CD80 placers, fully re-capped + OPA627 I/V opamp & DEXA buffer opamp roll.  They still hold up well against the modern medium-level players.

I used to have a Marantz CD60SE as well, but that one finally broke (laser still fine, but 1 of four photo-diodes had failed).  Mediocre player to modern standards and wasn't worth the cost of CDM4 replacement & recapping. 

Quote:
  Unlike Amps cd player don't age well. The DAC's have improved light years from early cd players. They are really only suitable for at best transports or more likely objets d'art, IMO. :)

Depends on the player & implementation.

Digital filtering and noise shaping is where the real improvements have been made, which is why good modern 1-bit players can sound better than most older multi-bitters.  The early 1-bit players had poor noise shaping filters, and were easily outplayed be the average multi-bitter.  Not anymore though.

Some make great transports.  Which modern players still support index selection as opposed to only track selection for example?  The only problem with separate transports & DACs is that for some bizarre reason almost all of them seem to have the master clock in the wrong unit!

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #45 of 131

My player for CDs. A 1997 Rega Planet. I don't know, I still like sound of it.

http://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/634

Users who are viewing this thread

Back