Do you own a vintage CD player? (pics please!)
May 22, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #121 of 131
Cool thread!

Most of my vintage stuff is gone. I do have one pic I can post of an older player that is built like a tank.

Jun 9, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #122 of 131
The Apple PowerCD, Philips CDF-100 and the Kodak PCD-880 were all manufactured by Philips.
For some strange reason I started collecting them a few years back? Then I decided to see if I could get the Kodak PCD-880 and the Philips CDF-100 to have all three on the shelf. I DON'T KNOW WHY? Was never able to get the Philips unit. They all look the same, with just a few small changes.

I thought I'd post some pictures of my vintage KODAK PCD-880 I'll be unloading soon as you don't see these very often here in the states. In fact, this one came from Europe awhile back and has the 230V power supply so I use a step up voltage converter 110V to 220V Transformer. 

oops, looks like I cannot post any pictures as it says my account does not have required permissions to post pictures?

If anyone would like pictures let me know and I will email them directly to you.

Aug 18, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #123 of 131
Hi, nice thread.
It is my first post here.
I have just been given a Pioneer PDR-609 CD recorder and was wondering how this machine stack up with the rest of its day.
Basically is it any good or shall I just get rid of it?
I already have a Yamaha HD1000 which I used to think was good until I realised how noisy the HDD is!
I look forward to your comments
cheers
geoff

Aug 18, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #124 of 131
  Hi, nice thread.
It is my first post here.
I have just been given a Pioneer PDR-609 CD recorder and was wondering how this machine stack up with the rest of its day.
Basically is it any good or shall I just get rid of it?
I already have a Yamaha HD1000 which I used to think was good until I realised how noisy the HDD is!
I look forward to your comments
cheers
geoff

That's the exact Pioneer CD player/recorder I have in my main system!  I like it a lot on both playback and for burning CD's.............

Aug 18, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #125 of 131
Definitely do not get rid of it, it's better than you think. I have the same player, and the DAC chip in it is very good, a BB PCM1716.

Here is what Lampizater says about it:

"The DAC chip is a burr-Brown PCM1716 whic is quite rare and in theory it is one of the worst DACS from Burr-Brown ever, but in reality - it is one of the best.

It is a well kept secret that B-B PCM1716 has excellent sound, so appealing, that many people consider it their DAC chip of choice.
Sadly I did not have more than half day for testing but I agree that this sound is equal to the best ones.
I would say that this DAC chip beats their own high end PCM1702 which is a real BLASPHEMY in High-end circles.

A similarily lively, energetic, enjoyable sound comes for example from the Philips TDA1549.

Lets see, who else used that chip:
A quick visit to Vassily's list:

ARCAM DIVA CD72
ARCAM ALPHA 7SE
Many denons
EXPOSURE CD 2010
JOLIDA JD-100A
MARANTZ CD-17 Mk III (?!!!)
MISSION-Cyrus CD 7
MUSICAL FIDELITY E624
MUSICAL FIDELITY X-RAY
NAD 524
PIONEER PDR-609
ROKSAN CASPIAN DSP
ROTEL RCD-06
THULE AUDIO Spirit CD100
THULE AUDIO Spirit CD150B
Wow ! Quite an impressive list. Some really high ticket products."

I also have the Nakamichi CDP-2A & the Magnavox CDB650 both of which use the TDA1541 chip, which is better, but then you
are talking about probably the best DAC chip ever made, period.

Aug 18, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #126 of 131
  Definitely do not get rid of it, it's better than you think. I have the same player, and the DAC chip in it is very good, a BB PCM1716.

Here is what Lampizater says about it:

"The DAC chip is a burr-Brown PCM1716 whic is quite rare and in theory it is one of the worst DACS from Burr-Brown ever, but in reality - it is one of the best.

It is a well kept secret that B-B PCM1716 has excellent sound, so appealing, that many people consider it their DAC chip of choice.
Sadly I did not have more than half day for testing but I agree that this sound is equal to the best ones.
I would say that this DAC chip beats their own high end PCM1702 which is a real BLASPHEMY in High-end circles.

A similarily lively, energetic, enjoyable sound comes for example from the Philips TDA1549.

Lets see, who else used that chip:
A quick visit to Vassily's list:

ARCAM DIVA CD72
ARCAM ALPHA 7SE
Many denons
EXPOSURE CD 2010
JOLIDA JD-100A
MARANTZ CD-17 Mk III (?!!!)
MISSION-Cyrus CD 7
MUSICAL FIDELITY E624
MUSICAL FIDELITY X-RAY
NAD 524
PIONEER PDR-609
ROKSAN CASPIAN DSP
ROTEL RCD-06
THULE AUDIO Spirit CD100
THULE AUDIO Spirit CD150B
Wow ! Quite an impressive list. Some really high ticket products."

I also have the Nakamichi CDP-2A & the Magnavox CDB650 both of which use the TDA1541 chip, which is better, but then you
are talking about probably the best DAC chip ever made, period.

Good info, thank you. 

Since I'm not sure I felt I should ask - if we are using the RCA outputs on the back of the CD player to an input on a stereo, does the DAC chip still get utilized?   Excuse my ignorance. 

Sep 5, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #128 of 131
Since I'm not sure I felt I should ask - if we are using the RCA outputs on the back of the CD player to an input on a stereo, does the DAC chip still get utilized?   Excuse my ignorance.

Yes, if you are using the RCA line out connectors this is your analogue output so it utilizes the built in DAC. If you want to bypass the existing DAC & use a seperate DAC
you can connect the digital out to your own DAC.
Another interesting feature is the coaxial digital in. If you have a  USB to Coaxial converter you could record to CD from your PC.

Sep 5, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #129 of 131
Hi,
Sony 557esd as a transport (modified) and Sony DasR1 (modified): nothing left to wish for. Transport had kss190A mech and dac has 2 tda1541A S1. Me happy.

Mmmmm, yummy.

Oct 21, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #130 of 131
I just picked up this a sweet little gem. Magnavox CDB560.

IMG_1300.jpeg

IMG_1301.jpeg

It’s made in Belgium and has the Phillips CDM2 drive in it along with TDA1541 DAC chip in it.

https://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/Overview-Philips-TDA1541-based-cdplayers/

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #131 of 131
Not sure if this is vintage or not, but it's old, and I love it 😍
Please excuse the wire-mess in the background and the dusty components, this is in my listening room, which, once again, is being reconstructed/rearranged.
I've had most of the Sony ES range (the ones with wooden side panels), but I was foolish enough to sell it years ago. My biggest regret ever in HiFI.
So this one, I'll never let go :)
1000004366.jpg
1000004364.jpg
1000004367.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back