Do you own a vintage CD player? (pics please!)
Apr 28, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #76 of 131
+1 on old heavy duty CD players and turn on, hit play, enjoy.  (but sometimes I have to wait for the tubes to warm up)

biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #77 of 131
  +1 on old heavy duty CD players and turn on, hit play, enjoy.  (but sometimes I have to wait for the tubes to warm up)

biggrin.gif

What's amazing is that they both play CD-R's perfectly, despite their age.

Apr 28, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #78 of 131
Jun 27, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #81 of 131
Cleaned up my Marantz CD-52 SE and installed the new CDM4 gear. Working a treat, sometimes the draw sticks a little, but i guess it will be fine over time, hasn't been used in a long time, also could be the belt is a little loose.

Either way I love it, and the Coax out is a bonus.

Will post pics at some point

Jun 27, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #82 of 131
My system at university was a Marantz CD85, Audiolab 8000A and JPW Sonata speakers. The CD85 was an aural/visual treat with it's syrupy `analogue' sound and metal alloy chassis.

I remember purchasing the CD85 and 8000A second hand from Oxford Audio Consultants for £550. The Sonatas were new from Audio-T for about £90. When our student parties became raucous we'd crank up the volume and belt out AC/DC `Whole Lotta Rosie' which blew a Sonata driver on three separate occasions. The third time that Audio-T returned the speaker to JPW for driver replacement (which was free) it came back with a note from the factory politely requesting that I "Moderate my volume level when listening".

Happy times and a great sounding CD player!

Jun 27, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #83 of 131
My system at university was a Marantz CD85, Audiolab 8000A and JPW Sonata speakers. The CD85 was an aural/visual treat with it's syrupy `analogue' sound and metal alloy chassis.

I remember purchasing the CD85 and 8000A second hand from Oxford Audio Consultants for £550. The Sonatas were new from Audio-T for about £90. When our student parties became raucous we'd crank up the volume and belt out AC/DC `Whole Lotta Rosie' which blew a Sonata driver on three separate occasions. The third time that Audio-T returned the speaker to JPW for driver replacement (which was free) it came back with a note from the factory politely requesting that I "Moderate my volume level when listening".

Lovely system. I nearly bought a CD85 myself, but then the second hand CD12 presented itself......! I also still have some JPW Sonatas in a system. Great little speakers, still going strong.

Jun 27, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #84 of 131
  Cleaned up my Marantz CD-52 SE and installed the new CDM4 gear. Working a treat, sometimes the draw sticks a little, but i guess it will be fine over time, hasn't been used in a long time, also could be the belt is a little loose.

Either way I love it, and the Coax out is a bonus.

Will post pics at some point

Classic player. Maybe a little squirt of deoxit might do the trick?

Beautiful. Both the cd player and the story. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 27, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #85 of 131
All gears have silicone grease.

Made sure none on belt otherwise it slips. But we will see.

It seems ok sometimes.

Jun 30, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #87 of 131
That is one over built CDP!  Probably still sounds good, too.

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #88 of 131
Old thread, but--I have a naim cd2 from the 90s that looks its age and still sounds marvelous through mg 3.6s (no pics--with apologies). Some of these old machines sound pretty darn good, despite their age...

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #89 of 131
 I had a Kyocera DA-01 back in 1983! One of the very first CD players made.They started selling them BEFORE CD's actually hit the market. It had a mechanical issue and I sold it to a friend. MISTAKE! Every CD player I bought afterwards had the "edginess" that I HAD thought people were imagining. Until now-

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #90 of 131
I picked up a vintage Sony CD-85ES and was blown away by how good it sounds. Some early CD players still hold their own. Built like a tank too.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back