Do you notice that sound is faster in the morning?
Jul 10, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #18 of 54
Jul 11, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #19 of 54
Quote:
When I wake up and immediately grab my headphones and listen to them the sound plays faster than it would regularly. I can't be the only one who has noticed...

In the morning your consciousness is slower than normal. When your consciousness speeds up the sounds get slower and slower. If you consciousness really speeds up, you have achieved 'bullet time'.

As good an explanation as any. 
beerchug.gif

Jul 13, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #21 of 54
Jul 13, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #22 of 54
Sound travels faster in dense air, But that does not mean anything in this case. Increased soundwave velocity only makes the sound reach the ears faster, it has no effect on the  way we perceive tempo (if this is what you mean). The headphones still send the soundwaves in the same intervals. There might be some temperature effects on the hardware but that would most likely distort the sound, not increase the tempo.

I don't know what causes this, but I have noticed that the perceived tempo is often affected by the level of tiredness I personally get the illusion of a faster tempo when I'm very tired, which might be the case for you in the mornings. My guess is that it has something to do with the way our brains decode the information they receive from the ears. But as I said, I don't know for sure.

Please correct me if something I wrote is stupid =)

Cheers!

Jul 13, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #23 of 54
Forgot to write something...

The faster speed of sound in cold air should result in increased frequency and wavelength. This would only make it sound different.

velocity = frequency * Wavelenght

Aug 8, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #24 of 54
A lot of audio perception is based on your mental state. A lot of people listen intently and have their best aural experiences at night because they're relaxed and the outside noise level is diminished.
That's how I feel anyway. 
Quote:
Are you on drugs?

And to this I say certain psychoactive substances can *ahem* enhance the experience. I kid you not, once with my ha-s500 I could hear the silent lapses between the music, when the driver wasn't producing sound I suppose. After that I tried honing in on music on my desktop rig and music sounded much more fluid. 

Aug 8, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #25 of 54
Well according to this book I read, you hear best in the evening and in the morning... or did they say sight now that I think about it... Well anyways, it said our ancestors used to have to hunt or defend at night, so they had to have better senses at night and around morning time. Yeeaah... Not sure how that helps the thread but its something. I think it's just that your ears were so you used to not being used, or hearing nothing, that they're sort of shocked.

Aug 8, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #26 of 54
This is an interesting topic actually. I generally find in the mornings, I don't hear too well so I don't do any critical analysis in the mornings. I attribute this due to my ears not "waking up" yet. Then talking to Musica Acoustics (who's a musician in his spare time) mentioned that it's the same for him that he doesn't play on the mornings.

Don't think I've heard sound travel "faster" in the mornings though. I don't mean any disrespect but wondering if its the brain that's not "woken up" yet & psychologically has not caught up with what we heard fast enough - mental alertness.

Aug 8, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #29 of 54
Random question AnakChan but what is a moderator? It's your title.
Mean's I kinda help other moderators & administrators keep an eye on things & help in maintenance of Head-Fi - spam, move threads in the wrong category, etc. (janitor if you will :)).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back