Do you like your Headphile Grado C-Pads?
Apr 7, 2005 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Zoide

Headphoneus Supremus
(you can select more than one option)

It seems that the initial, near-universal enthusiasm with the Headphile C-pads is toning down, with more people coming forward and discussing not just their greatness but also their shortcomings. (cough cough, SR-325i, SA-5000...) Feel free to add your balanced/IMO/IME/IMHO views after the poll
cool.gif

As I wait for my new RS-1's with 4-port betas to arrive, I must live vicariously through the posts of others
biggrin.gif

(and isn't that what we do when we read a review comparing the Orpheus to the Baby O to the Omega II?
tongue.gif
)

Apr 8, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 44
Bump. C'mon, there's gotta be more c-pad owners or former owners out there...

Oh, and if you can, post to the thread specifying whether you have a ported model or not, that sort of thing.

Apr 8, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 44
Bump. Hmm.. not many responses.

I guess my polls aren't as cool as gsferrari's!
confused.gif
tongue.gif

Apr 8, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #4 of 44
I have heard a lot and read a lot about the headphile pads and I am intrigued by them. But what's the difference between the different options? Is it the same as bowls, reverse bowls and flats???

Apr 8, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #5 of 44
Well, there are some threads that talk about it, but it's quite a number of posts. I was hoping to consolidate all the opinions nicely in one poll.

Though of course if more detailed explanations of people's votes are posted here too, that's great.

Apr 8, 2005 at 10:45 AM Post #6 of 44
^^^
Oh, and if there's a moderator around, could you change the thread title to: "How do you like your Headphile Grado C-Pads?" please? The way it is right know is kind of awkward and misleading.

Apr 8, 2005 at 11:22 AM Post #7 of 44
I was pleased with the betas until I switched back to other pads. The (unported) betas had loose/flabby bass (boom instead of thud) that was obvious when switching back to vwaps or even flats. I traded in the betas for ported alphas. Compared to my memory of the beta sound the alphas do not appear to differ that much except in bass with SR200s. For treble, positioning on the ear affects the sound considerably more than the alpha/beta difference. My current feeling is that the betas with four of eight ports plugged, afford my ears a more realistic low end but I am still experimenting with the plugs.

Apr 8, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #8 of 44
I think that's just the innate nature of the difference between circumaural and supraural. Yes, the bass slam of a Cpad is more like a Tympani than the kickdrum of a sandbagged drumkit. However, that slam is more volumnous than the flats while still giving more slam than, say, my DT770. You miss that desert-dry and lightning-quick kick of flats (bowls to me just dont give enough bass with my SR200 - with the RS-1 they do) but the tradeoff is that you get some serious bass action going, that has space to it without being reverby(CD3K)/boomy(DT770).

Apr 8, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #9 of 44
I don't think comfort should be disregarded from the poll as that is one of the main reasons some people get them for. But back on topic, I like the betas better than bowls and I haven't had the desire to try any other pads since the betas arrived.

Apr 8, 2005 at 5:28 PM Post #10 of 44
tkam:

I know what you mean about comfort, but since there had been so many posts where pretty much *everyone* agreed that the pads were comfortable, I wanted a thread that would focus on something more controversial/useful than just more people praising the comfort.

(I just remembered the people who had seal issues and where told to put something under their headband, etc... oh well)

Apr 8, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #11 of 44
I only got them for comfort and only had my 325i's for about a week before I put them on, so that plus not being familiar with all the adjectives about how to describe the sound, I'm a poor person to comment on them other than comfort.

I have the beta with 4 ports and it sound good to me. They're a LOT more comfortable but sit lower on my head and hopefully the beyer headband will fix that.

Apr 8, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #12 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by memorex
I have the beta with 4 ports and it sound good to me.

What are your impressions of the way the ports change the sound?

Apr 8, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #13 of 44
I would appreciate that you would state the model(s) that you have used. Please!

That might make a difference.

Before I participate in the poll I need to listen more. To make sure I have a true opinion.

Apr 8, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #14 of 44
Mine is a SR200.
Looks like the only consensus right now is that Betas are better than bowls lol.

Apr 8, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #15 of 44
Zoide,

I'm debating the c-pad for my rs-1's and hp-2's. When you get time and have impressions to how they compare to the stock pads on the rs-1's, would you mind giving me a heads up? That goes for anyone else, too. I'll take all the input I can get.
biggrin.gif

Two issues I'm struggling with on these pads....First is the fact that apparently Larry designed these to use some sort of putty to retain the pads on the rs-1. Have you or anyone else heard anything on whether or not there's a risk to the wood from prolonged contact with the putty? Also, I've yet to see a decent close-up pic of the pads. Using a magnification tool, I tried to get an idea of the finish on these. It looks like the wood on these pads has a very rough/unfinished edge. Similar to the way plywood looks when freshly cut and no edge finishing has taken place. Not a problem..just curious. If you get pics, how 'bout PM'ing them to me. If you're taking requests, I'd like closeups of the pads both on and off the cans. A bit pushy of me...sorry..couldn't help but ask. The second concern is how the pads will affect the sonic signature of both these cans. I'd love the comfort but would like to preserve(as close as possible) the natural presentation of both. Don't want to lose the warmth of the rs-1 or the neutrality of the hp-2. Suggestions??

Right now I'm leaning to the flat pads for the hp-2 but for some reason, Todd hasn't been responding to any email. Feedback anyone??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back