Do you like your Headphile Grado C-Pads?
Apr 14, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #31 of 44
You can pull off the black plastic L or R and slide the leather part off (rather than cut it off) then send it to me
wink.gif
The plastic part is pressed on, fairly good, but will come off with a pulling, rocking motion. The leather is free floating on the metal band.

File the pegs by all means. Even an Emory board will work (ask the woman for one). Something could be substituted for them too, tape, blu-tack, whatever...

Apr 14, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanadu777
You can pull off the black plastic L or R and slide the leather part off (rather than cut it off) then send it to me
wink.gif
The plastic part is pressed on, fairly good, but will come off with a pulling, rocking motion. The leather is free floating on the metal band.

That would definitely be a better option and would keep a resale value. Thankfully, I have no intention of ever selling my pair.

Apr 14, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff E
I was pleased with the betas until I switched back to other pads. The (unported) betas had loose/flabby bass (boom instead of thud) that was obvious when switching back to vwaps or even flats. I traded in the betas for ported alphas. Compared to my memory of the beta sound the alphas do not appear to differ that much except in bass with SR200s. For treble, positioning on the ear affects the sound considerably more than the alpha/beta difference.

Sounds alot like these headphile pads are transforning Grados into AKG K240S-es.
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigabomber
Just got my fatboys and am wondering what pads to get: these highs can be a bit shrill with the reverse bowls. Surprising to read that some people prefer the stock flats over anything.

and: darnit, beach123456 screwed up the voting nice a good for us.

Well these days flats never come stock on anything, any new ones are really Todd's flats. Bowls come stock on the MS-2. I believe reverse bowls still doesn't quite get across the sound of flats - they indeed might seem more shrill than flats.

Flats still give an "airier" feel than Cpads, and less bass. Cpads are more comfortable, bassier, more soundstage, and feel more "closed-in" circumaurally before your ears adapt. Considering all that, I'll choose Cpads over flats.

Apr 14, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #35 of 44
No closed-in feeling here with the beta ports open...
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanadu777
wink.gif

Are you sure the thing comes off? I've been pulling pretty hard. Also, after it comes out, won't it fit in loosely when you put it back in?

Apr 14, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
Are you sure the thing comes off? I've been pulling pretty hard. Also, after it comes out, won't it fit in loosely when you put it back in?

I would imagine every Grado pair is a bit different on fit, but I would guess they are just pressed in too. If they are that tight now, they'll still be tight putting one back on. If for some reason it wouldn't be, I'm sure either a little blu-tack or glue would work well. As with any DIY, I can only tell my own experience and anyone elses DIY is at their own risk/reward
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Well these days flats never come stock on anything, any new ones are really Todd's flats. Bowls come stock on the MS-2. I believe reverse bowls still doesn't quite get across the sound of flats - they indeed might seem more shrill than flats.

Flats still give an "airier" feel than Cpads, and less bass. Cpads are more comfortable, bassier, more soundstage, and feel more "closed-in" circumaurally before your ears adapt. Considering all that, I'll choose Cpads over flats.

I keep forgetting to mention that the ms-2i's are still a little bright and lack bass though I am using the reverse bowls as circum-aural pads: yes, my ears are touching the drivers and my ears are right at the back and upper edge of the pad (this gets quite uncomfortable as you may imagine). I am trying to get a good sound without crazily slanted EQ settings.

are ANY of these pads going to cut down on the brightness considering that my ear cannot get any closer to the driver? maybe the comfy pads by creating a direct barrier? OR is this going to be largely a new source and new amp issue?

Apr 16, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #40 of 44
Rather than starting a new thread, this looks like a relevant spot to ask a question about the C pads.

My dad has narrowed his selection down to either a Sennheiser 650 or Grado RS-1. He prefers the sound of the RS-1 but finds a lot of the older music he plays to be too revealing, hence he is thinking about the Sennheiser 650. Would getting the C pads help out on some of the older recordings seeing as I hear that the C pads (forgot which one) come closer to the Sennheiser sound? Would either of the C pads help out to make older recordings sound better? And if so, which ones. Thanks all..

Apr 16, 2005 at 6:56 AM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigabomber
are ANY of these pads going to cut down on the brightness considering that my ear cannot get any closer to the driver? maybe the comfy pads by creating a direct barrier? OR is this going to be largely a new source and new amp issue?

I should send you my spare 414 pads and let you mod them yourself if you don't like your initial reaction to them. They might be exactly what you need, so PM me on it and I'll send them out your way. I owe ya, so it's no problem.

rs1smile.gif
Abe

Apr 20, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #42 of 44
Has anyone received their C-pads? I'd like to know what people think about covering different numbers of ports in the betas. I think there is a difference but it is somewhat subtle and I don't know how to put it into words.

Apr 21, 2005 at 10:22 AM Post #43 of 44
^^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back