Do You Have A Question having something to do with headphones?
Jun 24, 2008 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 124

Peter Pinna

1000+ Head-Fier
[size=x-small]This thread is for the purposes of asking and answering questions about headphones that you have either been unable to find anywhere else in this forum or asking a question that somehow seems inappropriate to ask in other threads. As long as the question has something to do with headphones, anything goes (within respectable reason, of course). Your questions and their answers may be about anything that has to do with any type of headphone. [/size]

Jun 24, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #2 of 124
I'll start the first one:
Does permanently recabling headphones while they are under the manufacturers warranty, void the warranty? Are there authorized "re-cablers" for certain manufacturers who could perform the re-cabling without voiding the waranty?

Jun 24, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 124
A warranty is a contract between the buyer and manufacturer. The terms of a warranty differ based on the terms stated in the warranty as well as applicable state and federal laws. So the answer depends on what manufacturer you bought from and where you live.

If you want a recable under warranty, discuss it with the manufacturer. If the cable is defective, it should be a warranty claim, anyways.

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #6 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My question is:

Why are Stax so ugly?

I find myself wanting to better understand your question.
First, I am completely unbiased where your question is concerned because I have never seen Stax headphones.
As a reader of your question, I am lead to assume that your opinion of Stax headphones is that they are ugly.
I'm sure not everyone agrees with your opinion.
And, as to the question of why they are ugly (if indeed they actually are "ugly"), has more to do with the design aesthetics that appeal to you rather than the design aesthetics themselves being universally regarded as "ugly".
Perhaps a better question to ask might be,
"Does everyone agree that Stax headphones are ugly?" or
"What is your opinion of the appearance of Stax headphones?" or
"Do you find that the appearance of the Stax headphones interferes with your listening enjoyment of them?"
Maybe one of those questions would better give you the answer you are seeking about Stax headphones.

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #7 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A warranty is a contract between the buyer and manufacturer. The terms of a warranty differ based on the terms stated in the warranty as well as applicable state and federal laws. So the answer depends on what manufacturer you bought from and where you live.

If you want a recable under warranty, discuss it with the manufacturer. If the cable is defective, it should be a warranty claim, anyways.

There has been some information in these forums pertaining to changing the cable for the purpose of an improvement in sound. I new that if a cable is defective on a pair of headphones that is still under warranty, it would probably be replaced by the manufacturer.
Thank you for your answer.

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #9 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, I am completely unbiased where your question is concerned because I have never seen Stax headphones.
As a reader of your question, I am lead to assume that your opinion of Stax headphones is that they are ugly.
And, as to the question of why they are ugly (if indeed they actually are "ugly"), has more to do with the design aesthetics that appeal to you rather than the design aesthetics themselves being universally regarded as "ugly".
"Do you find that the appearance of the Stax headphones interferes with your listening enjoyment of them?"
Maybe one of those questions would better give you the answer you are seeking about Stax headphones.

best response ever.

Jun 25, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #10 of 124
I know this is a stupid question,and I CAN tell the difference between higher end headphones and lower end ones, but why? Aren't they all made on the same principles? Is it the type of cable? Is it the material they are made of? I don't understand why some are some are better, and some are crappy.

Jun 25, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #11 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nugwin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this is a stupid question,and I CAN tell the difference between higher end headphones and lower end ones, but why? Aren't they all made on the same principles? Is it the type of cable? Is it the material they are made of? I don't understand why some are some are better, and some are crappy.

I was wondering the same thing myself the other day. (hopefully we are on the same page.)

What is it about the construction (of dynamic, normal headphones) that sets them apart and makes some higher end, and better sounding, at least in terms of Sound Quality and Detail?

Jun 25, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #12 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
best response ever.

Funny you said that. As I ended reading Pinna's response, I said "damn, head-fi never ceases to amaze me."

Jun 26, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #13 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by sackynut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering the same thing myself the other day. (hopefully we are on the same page.)

What is it about the construction (of dynamic, normal headphones) that sets them apart and makes some higher end, and better sounding, at least in terms of Sound Quality and Detail?

Quote:

sackynut and Nugwin:
I have to start off my response by telling both of you that you just asked a very loaded question with some very debatable answers.
I was hoping that some of the more tech smart of the members would also answer your question.
There are a number of criteria which effect the price of headphones. Those criteria include the type of cable and wiring in general, the material utilized in construction, the expertise involved in the construction and who constructed it. Also, there is "the law of supply and demand". If the public is demanding a particular headphone, the price of that headphone probably reflects that demand. In other words, the headphones becomes more expensive because the public wants them. By contrast, they would be less expensive if the public didn't want them.
One of the things that effects this "law of supply and demand" is marketing. Companies that manufacture products either have "marketing departments" or they engage the services of an Advertising Agency (or they have both) to bring their product to the attention of Mr. and Mrs. John Q. Public.
To answer another question, yes, most headphones are built on the same construction principle. Ultrasone's construction is somewhat different than other headphones, but I won't detail that information right now. What differs from one headphone to another is all of the previously mentioned elements plus there are varying degrees and different types of sound engineering principles which have an effect on the sound quality. Last but not least is the comfort factor which also plays a role in the cost.
As I wrote previously, I'm hoping some of the more technically advanced members will also answer your questions.
I hope that my answer gives you, at least, some idea as to some of the reasons for headphones' cost.

Jun 26, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #14 of 124
Quote:

the difference between higher end headphones and lower end ones ... Aren't they all made on the same principles? Is it the type of cable? Is it the material they are made of? I don't understand why some are some are better, and some are crappy.

Read the chapter on headphones in Loudspeaker and Headphone Handbook by John Borwick. Amazon sells the paperback used for $70, the new hardcopy for some heartstopping price, so try the nearest library. The third edition was released in 2001.

Jun 26, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #15 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you happen to live in California?

icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back