Do you ever stop to think that this hobby is a joke?
Nov 26, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #76 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I totally agree, but at the end of the day it's all fun and games.. so what the hell. Half the fun is in the journey.
wink.gif

I agree with your agreement & share your additional thoughts.
cool.gif

Nov 26, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #77 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenFountain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nah I don't think any hobby is a joke as long as you know where that fine line between obsession and enjoyment is.

Agreed again

Nov 26, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #78 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by reivaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the end of the day I find peoples opinions null if they do not line up with agreeing to the complete sovereignty that is my voice.

I completely agree with this.

Nov 26, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #79 of 185
leng jai:

After consistently visiting these forums for the past few months, this question has recently crossed my mind. Is all this chat about headphones and sound just an endless cycle of crap that is completely meaningless.

Art:

Sound and fury signifying nothing. Not just hobbies but all of the human condition.

Most of our experience and behavior is emotive - sounding off - useless ceremony - getting off cognitively (and physically).

Do whatever floats your boat, and don't worry be happy.

Meanwhile we learn and grow and accrue wisdom, and thereby become increasingly entangled in eternal sub-quantum (outside space/time) computation that runs causality. This is from where we have separated and to where we will rejoin (with the inevitable death of the physical universe).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brat_Boy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Arthurwells, that honestly sounded like something I'd read in a junk e-mail.

One person's junk is another person's treasure.

Nov 26, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #81 of 185
Sometimes, my mood will tell me, "The headphone scene is crap, sell your junk and go back to speakers, and subs." Then, about 6 hours or a day later I forget it all, and love listening to anything, with my amp and 650's".

Just like when you look at your wife or girlfriend, and think to yourself (or outloud if you have enough guts) "You look like ****" or "I didn't sign up for this". Then, you remember, you need half her money for rent, and she is Pam Anderson again

Its the same with headphones, and if it isn't headphones, we would be talking about speaker, t.v's, hockey gear, or anything with a pricetag. I think sometimes, you need to remember how "bad" your setup was, because you become use to it. Play some tunes without an amp, or go directly into your CPU and all is well again

Nov 26, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #83 of 185
The EQ can help, but it won't fix all the weaknesses in a compromised system. Also, having a higher-end system will make you more popular, bring you closer to your faith, and enhance your love life.

I'm not a big fan of computer-based systems... at all. Or compressed music, though I understand the rationale for both. I'm having fun trying to understand upsampling, oversampling, filtering, and the high-res formats, though.

Nov 26, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #85 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't all hobbies a joke? Just to spend our spare time and money on things?

Like Golf? q:O)> with all the chemicals it takes to make pretty greens and such. the fishing is great in the course ponds but ya don't wanna eat the two headed fish.

I have always had various hobbies and now that I am a little older with less money to spend on them I often think of people that live much simplier lives without all the frills. countries that do good to even feed their people. here we are the richest Christian nation on earth and look at the amount of money we spend on worldly goods, sports, etc..

Nov 26, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #86 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopShelf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just like when you look at your wife or girlfriend, and think to yourself (or outloud if you have enough guts) "You look like ****" or "I didn't sign up for this". Then, you remember, you need half her money for rent, and she is Pam Anderson again

But Pam Anderson does look like ****.. O.o

tongue.gif

Anywho, I'm mainly in this because I love music, and because I love buying gadgets and expensive things. Put 2 and 2 together..
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2006 at 7:55 AM Post #87 of 185
Actually I really enjoy this hobby, though it proves over and over again not something most affordable, especially for a poor college student like me. However, I am grateful for having found this website which led me in a rightful direction to a great sounding setup that is very enjoyable and yet not too expensive.

Nov 26, 2006 at 8:18 AM Post #89 of 185
The discrepancy that must be made is that you actually call this a "hobby". I believe that is too broad a term - some dictionaries may define the word as any activity for self-enjoyment or benefit, but when I think "hobby", I think model building, or writing. I don't think about spending exorbitant amounts of money on audio gear and then sitting in the dark by yourself enjoying it. In other words, I usually consider a hobby something that requires some level of skill and dedication.

Don't elevate this whole audiophile craze to the level of "hobby". This is a pastime. This is a nonconstructive thing we take part in. We get nothing out of it but enjoyment and, for those who listen to the right music, an intellectual heightening. However, if you're talking about the people who build cables, do hardware tweaks, or actually make music (I am a member of this sadly small demographic on these boards), that is certainly a hobby.

The only "joke" going around here is that you call this a hobby. No hobby is ever a joke. Hobbies - be it collecting, or crafting, or creating - are always worthwhile in the end; either financially or productively (sometimes both).

Nov 26, 2006 at 8:22 AM Post #90 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lime Cat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"I started a joke, which started the whole world crying..."

Whoa.. too weird, i just heard that song because my dad's a beegees fan
I was just to type it up and bam.. u stole my thunder
plainface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back