Do you ever get those periods when.........
Dec 10, 2006 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

PinkFloyd

Headphoneus Supremus
You just can't be bothered with anything and even answering an e-mail becomes the hardest task ever? I think my get up and go has got up and gone right at the minute and could just sleep forever. There must be some way out of this haze but I can't, for the life of me, find it.

It's possible I just need a damned good rest / holiday and come back to things with a fresh viewpoint, it's also possible I've reached the point of no return, it's possible I have become lazy.... I really really do want to get my enthusiasm back again and I really do want to pep things up a lot but how?

Another thing I keep doing is putting things off. For example, the car needs washed = I'll do it tomorrow (never gets done) Paperwork = I'll do it tomorrow (never gets done) same with everything at the moment...... I'll do it tomorrow.

The result of this avoidance tactic is that my head is now swimming with "must do this, must do that, have to do this, have to do that" The frightening thing is, it's actually quite easy to be lazy and say "I'll get round to it" but this isn't who I am at all. I like being in control, a tidy room is a tidy mind when things are all over the place so is my head.

I know I've mentioned this before and sorry to keep whining on but there MUST be a way out of this swamp?

Dec 10, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 51
Classic signs of depression.

Depression usually sets in after you encounter an anger producing situation and you feel you are helpless to affect any change.

Are you in a situation like that? What can you do to avoid further anger producting confrontations? How will you find peace?

I've dealt with people who are depressed before. There's chronic and acute depression. Hopefully you're in the acute boat. It'll pass. It takes time.

Try writing down what makes you angry and getting it all out. Then wait a while and then consider sending that to the person who makes you angry so you can have closure.

Closure is very important. If you don't have closure you'll be forced to replay the incident in your head ad nauseum, which will just make you more angry.

If the person who makes you mad cannot accept responsibility then legal options may be able to give you closure.

Seek closure.

Dec 10, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #3 of 51
Hey Pinkie, those sound a lot like the classic signs of depression. You doing OK? I know some things haven't gone your way lately, and it's normal to feel down.

As for getting out of it, there are a number of things you can try. You can try the medical route, and I'm sure your doctor can do something. But the people I've seen struggle with this usually do a lot better when they get involved in something. Is there a nearby school, hospital, church, animal shelter, library, or similar? Stick your head in and see if they could use some volunteer help. They always do. You'll get to meet some new people, as well. Do you have any pets? A nice cat or dog can be a world of good.

Also, keep letting us here know how you're doing.

Dec 10, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by puiah11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Depression usually sets in after you encounter an anger producing situation and you feel you are helpless to affect any change.

I'm far from angry man, just not the man I used to be. I recently moved house (4 months ago) and am now living pretty much in the wilderness and am slowing becomming more reclusive as each day passes. I don't mind the solitude, I've had more than my share of wild living and am happy to go pipe and slippers in that respect.... no way am I trying to recreate yesterday more a case of finding contentment today I suppose in a way it could be a feeling of "is this all life is?" that's crept in.... I don't know but not a lot gets me salivating these days, actually nothing gets me salivating at all it's as if I'm in a constant out of body state just looking down at time rapidly ticking away.

Dec 11, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #5 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently moved house (4 months ago) and am now living pretty much in the wilderness and am slowing becomming more reclusive as each day passes.

Why did you move?

If you're looking for keen insight into the plight of mankind and the deepest secrets of society start to investigate the life of Antony C. Sutton.

Then you will truly see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Sutton became a recluse and had very very good reasons.

Love ya! Later.

Dec 11, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #6 of 51
I've been in a similar state and went to see the doctor and discuss things over with them. There are medications that, sometimes, the doctor will prescirbe but I found that just discussing what I was going through and finding that I'm not alone in such feelings did give an outlet and made me feel better.

Another way of finding help is to realise that there are friends around who want to help and are willing to.

Finally, however hard it might be, make sure that you do get out and about from time to time. It's hard at times (at least I found it hard) but if you do just spend more and more time indoors it can get to the point of never wanting to go outside and could lead to agorophobia.

Dec 11, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #7 of 51
Man, this Member of the Trade stuff is horrible. Have scientists looked into possible cures yet?

Stay strong, my brother, stay strong.

tongue.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #8 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by puiah11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Classic signs of depression.

Come on...
I've noticed that many Head-Fiers really tend to extremely exaggerate common and normal situations. I don't know if this is normal with all Americans, or just you guys. But saying such a thing is really over the top.

Just because laziness can be in extreme cases a symptom of depression doesn't mean it is so. There are a million and one other reasons why hes in a state of laziness - from a natural resting process to passive aggressive behavoir and to many other reasons.

Any way...Just a small rant, don't take it personally or something.
tongue.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #10 of 51
I don't know you very well...

But I love you!

=D

Well, more seriously;

There's plenty of little things that make up a great day, sometimes they can just be a little hard to find. When the opportunity arises, get a good book or something of the like and go out of the sun, and just enjoy the actual feeling that you know, you're alive, so to speak!

Dec 11, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #11 of 51
I pretty much know how Pink feels. I've been off work now for 4 weeks due to some hernia repair surgery and I'm really starting to like this laziness. I don't feel like doing anything except coming in to my den and getting on the pc, listening to music, watching videos, staying up till 6am reading head-fi, going to bed when i feel like it and getting up when i get hungry. I'm supposed to go back to work tomorrow and I don't even want to
blink.gif

Edit: wow ... 100 posts

Dec 11, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #13 of 51
Well hey, on my ex's birthday (a few days ago) I found out from a friend that while she was still with me, some guy got her to do coke and then... him, if you get my drift. While this may seem like it was in the past, keep in mind that this was my first real relationship, lasted about 3 years, and I was still up to that point very friendly and trusting of her. As a guy who's into the whole trust/love relationship this was VERY surprising as well as depressing. I've been depressed before but have pretty much recovered at this point--the three people who can help are friends, doctors, and most importantly yourself--forget about your worries for a second and go have some fun. At some point I somehow stopped worrying and stressing, and focused on the good things in life. It's not easy, but it's made me a much happier, more confident person. The old, beat-to-death saying definitely holds true--the only point to life is happiness and enjoyment.

However it's still hard to go to bed at a reasonable hour and I still find myself staying up until 3 regularly surfing head-fi and other forums. That's actually very annoying.

Dec 11, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #14 of 51
Attempting to run over some more people willl help elevate the mood.

Or at least being falsely accused of it will....
wink.gif

Chin up, head outside, come back in, log in, relax. Take everything one step at a time. Do one thing. Relish in it. Then do another.

-Ed

Dec 11, 2006 at 6:50 AM Post #15 of 51
No. I'm not sure why exactly, but I've never felt the way you're describing, other than an occasional bad day (usually just a small part of a day) when I can't get myself 'moving' and start to think of my surroundings in a lack luster way. But only for a very short time.

There is just too much to do in this life and not enough time as it is: always another new place to go see or old places to visit again, always someone to call, email or send a card to (yes, I still send cards to people for no reason in particular), always new albulms to listen to for the first time (I've got about 300 of them waiting for my ears) or old albulms to rediscover (countless of those), always a pile of books waiting to be read, always a new website to check out, or something happening in town if I take 5 minutes to read the paper.

That's just a few examples of things that will please me, and I often get a bigger kick out of pleasing others. There are opportunities to do charitable work everywhere you turn and they often don't take much of your time or any of your money. Even if you're not doing "designated" charitable work (as in volunteering your time for a "cause" of some sort), you can still take time to help people who are less fortunate. Maybe something as simple as giving someone who doesn't have a car a ride to where he or she needs to go, and taking that same time to learn something about that person in the process.

Plus there is work! Maybe I was lucky in the sense that I always loved my work so much so that it never felt like work to me (college teaching). The way I think about it is that every day (or night in recent years) that I walk into the classroom, I have an opportunity to help shape someone's life in a positive way. They (my students) may keep missing these opportunities day after day (or night after night) because they're all busy with all sorts of life struggles outside of the classroom and thus don't focus enough to truly achieve. But I'll be ready for them when they're ready. At times, the entire semester slides by and I hardly get the sense that any "lightbulbs" are being turned on.

Then suddenly everything clicks with that one struggling student, who up until then "didn't get it", but now does and is amazed at how easy it really is once the real message is internalized. The message? You can do pretty much anything you want to with your life (within the bounds of the law and those large-scale societal expectations that we must all live up to). It's up to you! More often than not the thing that was "hard" for that student was his or her ability to "see" his or her own potential, and then have the energy to act on it. Once past that rather large stumbling block, all else follows.

Same goes for someone who is unhappy with a certain aspect of his or her life (the key reality factors), be it a job, a marriage, finances, whatever. It seems impossible at the time, and whatever "it" is, it really is impossible so long as you let it be. Not that you can control everything. But you can control how you react to and deal with everything, and that's what gets you out of whatever "funk" you're presently in, and then over time with a lot of years of practice, allows you to pretty much live a "funk free" life for as long as you're blessed with air in your lungs.

No sense in dwelling on the past or worrying excessively about the future. All you need to do is put your best step forward today, snap yourself out of it, and get on with things. Make a list of abulms you want to hear again, or books you want to read, places you want to go (old or new), people you've fallen out of contact with that you should call or visit, family members who "need" you in some way (be it advice or whatever), movies that would be fun to rent, tasks around the house that (once completed) will give you a sense of accomplishment and comfort, new exercise techniques or sports you haven't tried. This list is endless but it doesn't write itself when you're curled up in bed feelng listless.

Just my 0 cents for what it's worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back