Do you ever get those periods when.........
Dec 12, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #46 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sooner the better, being young was ok but dead will be better I think.

Not necessarily.
My sister is a buddhist.
Imagine she's right and the crap starts again.And again and again.
Scary.

This thread isn't that helpful, it's depressing in itself.
Even I am a bit down now, and I'm in the best mood since 1986 or so.

All I have to contribute to this thread is my own experience.
I was a rather depressive person for a long time.1989 - 1997.
Then I had a motorcycle accident.
Brain damage isn't generally considered to be a good thing, and learning again how to speak and everything else wasn't exactly amusing, but now the depressions are gone.Losing parts of your brain isn't that bad if you lose the right parts.
biggrin.gif

My advice : get yourself a motorcycle.

Dec 12, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #47 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(...) My advice : get yourself a motorcycle.

Interesting approach. Tricky to find the right dosage though, I suppose...
wink.gif

PF: That's why I asked about your happiness with your move into the middle of nowhere recently in the other thread - coming back to Munich (very much including: feeling home & really being in touch with friends & family again) has already helped me to fight my own depression quite a bit: generally better mood (more and higher highs, less and less deep lows), better health (including: already gained some 4 kg in ~ 6 weeks), more motivation - and the "what for?" is much less of a question... So, if "going home" in some form was also an option for you, I'd recommend to think about it.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Dec 12, 2006 at 9:51 AM Post #48 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The #1 reason I always find myself feeling that way is either too little or too much sleep. If there's one thing I've realized in college it's that either will just totally ruin your day. Too little sleep (ie 6 hours or less) will make me feel drained, tense, and lazy, and too much sleep (ie 9 hours or more) will make me feel drowsy, relaxed, and lazy. Either way, I'll never get any work done. That's the reason why on the weekends I usually limit myself to 9 hours because the temptation is to sleep until 3 (which I have done) and get like 12 hours in, but in reality, I don't need the sleep and it'll only burn more hours of the day and make me completely lazy. So yeah, that's really important.

Also, too little sleep for me is the immediate cause of any anxiety/stress/upset feelings I come across towards the end of the day. If I go to bed feeling stressed out, chances are I'll feel refreshed and organized in the morning.

#2 is waking up for breakfast. Go to bed by 1:30, wake up like 8:30, shower, go out, and get some breakfast. You'll feel like total crap during the process but when all is said and done, you'll be more alert during the rest of the day. This is key, I've found. Even if I've had too little sleep, a day on which I eat breakfast will go way better than on one in which I haven't.

#3, do something. Play an instrument? Practice it. Have a sport you like to play? Go play it. A couple hours taken to do this will be really beneficial in the long run, once again, resulting in more productiveness.

and that's about it for me, at least. Then again, I'm just a college student. But college so far has taught me a lot about how to be productive.

These are actually all very good suggestions, and I wholly agree with you. Unfortunately I'm a bit of a procrastinator myself and now need to stay up all night studying for a Physics exam at 730AM.

So... anyone else up?
tongue.gif

Dec 12, 2006 at 10:26 AM Post #49 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you want to do something, do it; as hard as it may be; you're not crippled, you're not incapacitated; if you want to see a doc, build a boat, go to the beach, do it; may seem blunt but i feel that anything else is beating around the bush; i have to take this advice myself again and again

Easier said than done. In my experience, it's always the same process. "Yeah, I'm pumped up, let's do it!" becomes "eh, let's get this over with", which becomes "eh, I'll do it tomorrow", which becomes "dammit, another thing I didn't finish". And then the hole I'm in gets a little deeper. I have a regular guitar, a bass guitar, a beat-up car, a computer, a half-dozen purchased CD's I've yet to listen to, 3 unwatched DVD's, 2 high school report cards, a trade school I dropped out of, and potential jobs I never bothered pursuing that can testify to this.

Dec 12, 2006 at 12:35 PM Post #50 of 51
Meditation helps a lot. If you could find anyone around teaching Yoga/meditation, it would be very beneficial for you. It probably might not show the results in a day, but you would feel the effects after some practice.

Dec 12, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #51 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are you 18? Oh… to be 18 again. I was invincible when I was 18. Two hours sleep and I was golden. If you’re this way with sleep now when you are in your prime just imagine what shape you’ll be in when you are Pinks and my age.

Remember we’re old, and we’ll be dead soon
wink.gif

Well yeah, I tend to work better with less sleep than more, but in reality, the relaxation that more sleep gives you (ie, 7 hours is like perfect for me) helps you tone things down and get stuff done.

My roommate is far worse, though. He goes to bed at 1-2:00 in the morning around when I do, but I get up at like 7:30 most days, and he gets up at the same time. The difference is that he goes to his first class, then comes back and sleeps until the afternoon while I stay awake and work (or post on Head-Fi!)
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back