Do you believe in Burn-In?
Nov 9, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #106 of 221
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I change my vote in a definite Yes.

Have you ever seen "12 Angry Men"? Great movie.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #108 of 221
Actually I just noticed the wording of the poll and wish to protest. Take out the word "dramatic", change "frequency response" to "sound" and you might be getting somewhere. Also I don't understand what "I think it is a psychological effect that feigns a change in hardware" means. Is it English? Or middle-English?

Nov 9, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #109 of 221
Maybe initially, straight out the box. If they've been languishing in a shop/warehouse for years. After all headphones/speakers have mechanical components that might need perking up. But I don't buy the religious burn-in ritual, 200+ hours of white noise/pink noise in the right conditions etc etc. Just listen to them a bit - that'll burn them in...

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #110 of 221
the whole thing makes sense to me and I can notice a difference after burn in. But what annoys me is when people say: "I've burned these in for 100 hours and they're still too (bright, muddy, etc.). I'll burn them in another 100+ hours and see if it changes."
If it hasn't changed after 100 hours of burn in, it WON'T change. And personally I think about 5ish hours is all you need, after that is just plain useless.

But whether it's a placebo or real, people still notice the difference and still benefit in that respect, so just let those of us who believe live in our happy world
wink.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #111 of 221
Do you people that believe burn in your monitors and tv sets as well,to get a better picture
How about the microwave and stove,is there a different flavour.
Do not forget your GPS,its much more accurate afterwards.
Only a bit of fun,to each there own,even if it is on the wacky side.

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #112 of 221
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you people that believe burn in your monitors and tv sets as well,to get a better picture
How about the microwave and stove,is there a different flavour.
Do not forget your GPS,its much more accurate afterwards.
Only a bit of fun,to each there own,even if it is on the wacky side.

How about shoes, jeans, cars...
icon10.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #113 of 221
I have a pair of AKG k-701s with 400 hrs burn-in time. I just purchased a used pair with 100 hrs on them. Now that I have two pairs I can put them on tests to hear a difference and I have come to a conclusion. I can not hear any difference between the two. None!

Now as everyone says the AKG 701s totally need at a minimum 300 hrs, the newer ones with 100 hrs and the big AKG logos will sound better than the old pair with the lower small logos? Time will tell.

The only other thing I can think of is the used pair had more than 100 hrs on them. This seems to explain everything.

Nov 13, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #114 of 221
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only other thing I can think of is the used pair had more than 100 hrs on them. This seems to explain everything.

You'll know in about 200 hours. On my K702 the first change was between 80-120 hours, and the second change was around 300 hours.
k701smile.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #116 of 221
Yes, I have the opposite of burn-in psychoanalytic perception and think there should be greater change. LOL

Nov 13, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #117 of 221
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you people that believe burn in your monitors and tv sets as well,to get a better picture.

Many ISF certified calibrators suggest not having your TV or projector calibrated until after a couple of hundred hours of use so the picture settles or stabilizes, or something like that.

P.S. Also, I believe that food on my barbecue grill tasted much better after it was broken in.
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #118 of 221
Ïðîäâèæåíèå óñëóã-ýòî êàê? ß õîòåëà ñïðîñèòü ìîæåò è íå ñîâñåì â òåìó - ðàñêðóòêà ñàéòà â èíòåðíåò ñ ÷åãî íóæíî íà÷àòü? Ìîæåò íóæíî òîëüêî ÷åðåç çíàêîìûõ óçíàâàòü êàê ñäåëàòü ïðîäâèæåíèå ñàéòà èëè èñêàòü òóïî ÷åðåç ïîèñêîâûå? È åñòü ëè ðàçíèöà ìåæäó òåì, ÷òî íàçûâàþò îïòèìèçàöèÿ ñàéòà è ðàñêðóòêà ñàéòà ?

Nov 22, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #119 of 221
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I change my vote in a definite Yes.
With some albums my D5000's initially showed some treble peaks (nothing really nasty, but still not elegant) and when those peaks disappeared I was positive my X-Can was responsible for the smoother highs.

But today I did a simple test, I played the same track "The Good Hand" by Woven Hand over my X-Can and my Marantz PM7200.

From the moment I got my D5000's there were some treble peaks which I thought would be permanent, when Dave Eugene Edwards sings: "a heavy drone a heavy Ssssway girl I love to Ssssee you Ttttalk that way", the treble pierced slightly, with reverb to the right, like an echo, which made it stood out, not integrated, not even smeared out in the overall sound, it was like an instrument of its own.

This treble peak is no longer there.
And no, it's not because I got used to it.

The same with some Beatles tracks from the remasterd album 1
Help and Ticket to Ride, both showed some peaks in the treble, ("and I do apprecSSSiaTTT you being round")
Gone.

And I change my vote back in a definite "NO!"
Today I listened some songs with my M40fs and when returning back to my D5000's I immediately noticed some sibilance, a spikey treble which was worrying.
I remembered my earlier post about the sibilance on some Beatles tracks, which had magically disappeared because of break-in...well I listened the same tracks again and there it was, in all its spikey, grating glory: the ssssibilance

I took me a while to get rid of it, I mean to get used to it again and no longer hear it.
I found out that a particular placement of the D5000's on my head reduced the sibilance quite a bit...but after a while I didn't need this exact placement om ny head to avoid sibilance.

The D5000's sound exactly the same when I got them, when I was used to the sound of the M40fs.
And another thing I found out: my X-Can does very little in improvement over the headphones out of my Marantz integr. amp.

Nov 22, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #120 of 221
Man, people are so mean-spirited in this thread!

Could we just disagree without being disagreeable? In other words have a credible, intellectual debate without any of the spiteful laughing and down-talking?

Please remember that smiley faces and winking emoticons do not make being unkind magically different.

In fact, I really think this is a fruitless debate. Both sides are at stalemates, and I seriously doubt more arguing on this matter will change anyone's opinion or do anything beneficial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back